kdelibs blocks kde-env
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kpep01
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: kdelibs blocks kde-env Reply with quote

I finally had time to get around to updating my computer. I started with gcc et al. When it came time to update world, I had several blocking issues, all of which were resolved by simply unmerging the offending applications.

kde-env was blocking kdelibs, as well as kdelibs was blocking kde-env. So, I simply unmerged those as well. Even though I unmerged kdelibs, it still shows that it is blocking kde-env. OF course, kde is pretty much broken as far as most of the appications are concerned. I did re-emerge the latest kdelibs, and managed to get a few (though not the most important items) running. The blocking problem, however, remains persistant.

I again unmerged kdelibs, but, received the same error message.

Is there a work-around to this issue that I'm not figuring out?

Thanx
didymos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try doing "equery depends kde-env". Hopefully, you'll find out what's pulling it in.
kpep01
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for the reply and equery code, Didymos. I'm running revdep-rebuild at the moment to hopefully return to square one. Sadly, I can't get another shell to open at the moment, otherwise I'd run your code now.

In my later searches on this topic, I did find the same suggestion as your's. However, I couldn't find the manner in which to execute such a dependancy search. Thanx for the information. Hopefully I'll find the offending package so that it can be removed.

Thanx Again
sno35
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
You could mask kde-env by
Code:
echo "kde-base/kde-env" >> /etc/portage/package.mask

then emerge.
Hth
Carlo
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you don't have any old KDE 3.4 ebuilds installed, unmerge kde-env. This board has a search function. Multiple threads about this blocker do exist.
kpep01
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for the reply, Sno35. I'm still running revdep-rebuild, so haven't had a chance to even try the idea of didymos.

Perhaps I'm in error with my logic, but, wouldn't it seem best to overcome the problem with the packages which are pulling in kde-env, as opposed to simply masking it? I wonder this since the packages that are attempting to pull in kde-env seem dependant upon. Since kdelibs now includes kde-env, and since in the end I want things as up-to-date as possible, this would seem the logical direction. But, perhaps I'm in error.

Actually, since revdep-rebuild is again compiling kdelibs-3.3.3-r5, it would seem that kde-env would not be necessary. While it is true that masking would work, it would seem that it might create a problem to mask it, since other packages are still attempting to pull it in.

It would seem better to either remove (emerge -C) the offending packages, or, update them. (I tend to believe that the latter course might be preferable.) After the issue with the offending packages is solved, then "emerge -uVDN world" shoud successfully update my system based upon gcc-4.1.1. In my attempt at logic, then, the end result should be a system just like the old, while taking advantage of all of the updates et al. Nothing should remain out of date or broken (which might be the case if I simply mask kde-env).

(Of course, you still have to deal with some of the funky stuff that happens with circular dependancies and OpenOffice.org, but, that's why we have --resume I believe. Return to that stuff later.)

Anyway, while awaiting the finish of revdep-rebuild, that is the logic in my mind.

If I'm in error, I would appreciate knowing before I dig a bigger grave than is necessary.

Thanx
mark_alec
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Desktop Environments to Duplicate Threads.

See https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-499984.html
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: