Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
What distribution will *YOU* switch to?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 34, 35, 36  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
truc
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably LFS just to see if it is that hard, because sometimes when I have lot of free time, gentoo can be boring to me: it just works.

But I don't think I have enough time on my hands to try it yet :evil:
jesso
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would I want to switch?

I am staying with gentoo. I don't believe gentoo will die.

- We have a top notch support community.
- We are in control of our own system.
- We have the best package system.
- We have great docs and wiki.
- We don't have to wait 6 months or a year to upgrade a distro.

Plus we have a faster system. I tired to crossover to kubuntu. I installed it on my same system I had gentoo. Startup time for apps was slower.

I had to come back to gentoo. With kubuntu I really didn't feel in control. I feel clean in Gentoo. 8)

Sure it takes time to setup, but it's worth it. I do daily updates to keep trouble to a min. I have a top notch system with Gentoo.
Dan
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jesso wrote:
Why would I want to switch?

I am staying with gentoo. I don't believe gentoo will die.

- We have a top notch support community.
- We are in control of our own system.
- We have the best package system.
- We have great docs and wiki.
- We don't have to wait 6 months or a year to upgrade a distro.

Plus we have a faster system.
I feel clean in Gentoo. 8)

Sure it takes time to setup, but it's worth it. I do daily updates to keep trouble to a min.
I have a top notch system with Gentoo.

Ditto.................. couldn't agree more.
:)
psychomunky
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bakaohki wrote:
thinking of Suse, but I'd rather wait a year or so.

I've been thinking of Susie too, but she won't have me until this rash clears up.....oops...you meant SuSE linux..my bad!!! :oops:

Seriously though, I am not certain what to make about SuSE not that Novell is "sleeping with the enemy". I second you motion to wait a year or so...I have friends using SuSE now, and it seems to have a really polished interface. I really like with what they did with the "start" menu. Although, YaST still seems to suffer from the same problems it did about 5 years ago when I last used SuSE full time. People say portage is slow...at least portage tells you when it is doing something. YaST regularly goes and does something, doesn't disable the pieces of the interface it should (or even change your mouse cursor) and then you are left wondering if it hung or if it is doing something. When I re-consider the horrors of RPM based distros from years back..I'll gladly suffer with Portage's speed deficiencies any day....

IMNSHO - RPM = really poor management
geniux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geniux wrote:
Hm, slightly change of mind here. I might just try Fedora Core, I think that it looks really nice (the real Bluecurve) and the"new" yum seemed to be really fast. Looked at it at a friend the other day and I thinking of atleast try it and see what it's like, if I like it it will probably be my switching alternative

Ok, I've tryed FC6 out for a couple of weeks now. My final judgement is that it's too non fuctional for me, nothing really works from start (as it should) and everything is a pain to install or configure, tar packages don't install nicely and so on.
So FC is not an alternative anymore no matter how nice it looks, the question is: will I find an alternative? Probably no :wink:
This thread has gotten me to try several distros I never thought of trying before, must admit that it's fun dicovering and to try something new
400GB + 250GB Samsung SATAII HDD
Gentoo - BeyondSources 2.6.19-20
W3BMAST3R101
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already moved to FreeBSD. I used Gentoo for about 4 years and it was my 2nd distro. It certainly taught me a lot and because of it I'm a linux guru. But since I'm so good at linux i must go to something completely different. :twisted:
jkoerner
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a UNIX system I'm happy with gentoo but beside that I do already use Plan9 more and more...
sian
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Mandrake and Red Hat and was always installing new versions of distros and I had to wait for new versions to correct bugs or to have new apps (or newer version).

With Gentoo :
- the system is refreshed when I need. Gentoo installs only what I need on the system.
- very good documentation, wiki, forum to help resolving problems
- can recover with the install disc (what I was unable to do with other distros)
- In other distros, some binary programs did not work. In Gentoo, all is compiled and some huge programs have binaries.

I wanted to try ArchLinux, but at the time, the documentation was too light.

I never had problem that can not be solved. That is why I use Gentoo.
Sunnz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the time you read this, I probably already be using my new FreeBSD system.

I don't want to make another I am leaving thread, as I love portage, and the gentoo docs.

However, life must move on. FreeBSD has been a very attractive alternative, as it has port which portage originated from, and other stuff.

I want to learn new things.

But I got to say, I hate portage sometimes... it just breaks after... err... a while.

Today I have downloaded the FreeBSD ISO. I tried to install k3b and gnomebaker, which both failed!!!

I could file a bug, but meh, I'll just scp it to my Mac and burn it there... in a way, it is like my Gentoo trying its best preventing me to get on with FBSD, (almost everything works except for k3b,gnomebaker, cdrecord, growisofs.); but FBSD's daughter(OSX) saves the day!!

Anyway, still a happy Gentoo-er. :)
W3BMAST3R101
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you're updating your ports tree be sure to use the stable-supfile not the current. It may not have the latest packages, but you will run into breakages with the latest. It's the equivalent of ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86" in your make.conf. I made that mistake when i first started, but stable is indeed that. Rock solid. When the programs become stable enough they're backported to older versions of FreeBSD which I like quite a bit. So you don't have to necessarly upgrade your system unless you want.

the w3b
Sunnz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's a subfile? (Have only just installed FreeBSD.)

(Maybe we shall continue in PM to avoid hijacking topics.)
W3BMAST3R101
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

supfile is what is used to allow you to sync to a particular tree (stables vs current)
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/current-stable.html
this will tell you how to update your ports tree
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports-using.html

and here is the general handbook -- very good read. Some areas don't have much info, but if you know Gentoo then it shouldn't be too hard :-P
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/

the w3b
Sunnz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohh thanks dude.

I have a hard copy of the handbook, just following it through in order so I am not up to those parts yet... maybe I shall skim some parts.
Kasumi_Ninja
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FreeBSD 6.1 just frooze after a simple shutdown command:
Code:
shutdown -h now

I had to switch the power off, this really makes me suspecious. Also the manual mentions X -configure to setup X which doesn't work :?
Sunnz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it frozen in the sense you are thinking of, it is just that it doesn't turns off the computer after it "shut down".

But yea, I could be wrong, as I only have installed FBSD on Christmas and haven't used it yet. (Need to mount a XFS partition in order to get my network information...)

However I hope there is a way (a flag) so shutdown turns off the computer after it shuts down.
Kasumi_Ninja
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunnz wrote:
I don't think it frozen in the sense you are thinking of, it is just that it doesn't turns off the computer after it "shut down".

But yea, I could be wrong, as I only have installed FBSD on Christmas and haven't used it yet. (Need to mount a XFS partition in order to get my network information...)

However I hope there is a way (a flag) so shutdown turns off the computer after it shuts down.

It really was frozen.Unresponsive to any input (e.g. the numlock led kept burning when I pressed thw numlock key). ctrl+alt+del didn't work it was horrible! Another nice 'feature' is that it fails to boot when you make a small (non root,boot partition)fstab mistake :S.
Kasumi_Ninja
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most Linux distro's perform well. It when you try to do something that wasn't envisioned by the developers the problems begin. For example.

-Installing software from source that is not in apt repositories is a frustrating experience in Debian.
-Configuring a monitor that doesn't work is a daunting task in openSUSE (X -configure and xorgconfig doesn't work the way it should)
-Getting a working DHCP connection on large university network is impossible on, lots of Linux distro's. Only PCLinux and Gentoo worked.

To summarize, every distro has it's merits but not every distro has a fix. I still find Gentoo time and time again the only distribution to perform reliably umder various circumstances.

Last edited by Kasumi_Ninja on Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HXC wrote:
Most Linux distro's perform well. It when you try to do something that wasn't envisioned by the developers the problems begin. For example.

-Installing software from source that is not in apt repositories is a frustrating experience in Debian.
-Configuring a monitor that doesn't work is a daunting task in openSUSE (X -configure and xorgconfig doesn't work the way it should)
-Getting a working DHCP connection on large university network is impossible on, lots of Linux distro's. Only PCLinux and Gentoo worked.

To summarize, every distro has it's merits but not every distro has a fix. I still find Gentoo time and time again the only distribution to perform reliably on various circumstances.

qft.
Richardo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fedora all the way..
potatoface
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have the same opinion as jesso (i tried slackware, suse, mandrake before)
i run it for 4 years now and i am quite happy with it :lol:
i dont think that i switch my distro in the near future...

regards,
potatoface
Kasumi_Ninja
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dralnu wrote:

qft.

qft?? :roll:
micr0c0sm
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HXC wrote:
Dralnu wrote:

qft.

qft?? :roll:

quoted for truth
Sunnz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HXC wrote:
Sunnz wrote:

It really was frozen.Unresponsive to any input (e.g. the numlock led kept burning when I pressed thw numlock key). ctrl+alt+del didn't work it was horrible!
Then yes, given that the OS has been shutdown...

EDIT: Try shutdown -p now
-h is only 'halt', -p is 'power off'

Last edited by Sunnz on Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dieter@be
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well after reading this 9 page long thread i don't think going in depth about my thoughts is worth it because it is all been said before, so i'll keep it short.

i have a gentoo server (since 1yr or so) and a gentoo workstation (since 2 yrs or so), i've had some issues on the WS (not with xorg or gcc, i followed the guides and all went well, but more with breaking packages, especially *after* revdep-rebuilding everything that was needed), but it doesn't make me want to change. yes gentoo could use a better/rewritten package manager, yes there are some other issues that could use attention, but overall, gentoo is a OS that is very well suited for its intended audience, that's why i keep it. i never really used any linux/bsd-based OS before gentoo, so it was pretty hard in the beginning, but i wanted to learn about linux, and i still want to learn, so gentoo will stay.

On the other hand, i tried Arch Linux some time ago on a laptop that really didn't have the performance to suit a gentoo-lifestyle, and i like that distro too. i didn't have much time to experiment with it, but i think it is very base, very simple, but also very flexible and powerfull (eg the ability to create both source-based or binary packages, and sharing them with the community), so i'll probably put this on computers that are slow and don't have access to my distcc network ;-)

Last edited by Dieter@be on Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kasumi_Ninja
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another very import issue is security:

-Debian only provides security updates for it's main apt repository (en to some extent Etch main)
-openSUSE / Fedora / Mandriva requires to install third party repositories, with no official security support. (I think the same goes
for Ubuntu).

With Gentoo everything comes in a very complete repository with no real need (dvd, mp3, flash, java all is working out of the box) for a overlay
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 9 of 36

Jump to: