Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Howto author AVI->DVD with menus using Linux only !
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30, 31  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Floppie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't bother to go through all 28 pages, so I don't know if someone else already posted one, but here's a shell script that will go through an entire folder of .avi files and encode them to DVD-compliant MPEGs, cleaning up the .ac3 and .m2v files along the way. Right now it only does 4:3 aspect ratio and NTSC encoding, but I can just as easily add support for options. Just run it inside whatever directory your .avis are in, or provide it with that directory via command line argument.

http://www.quadra-tec.net/~floppie/prog/unix/avi2dvdmpg.bash

Last edited by Floppie on Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Beetle B.
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - but there already is a more comprehensive script. See the very first post.

Please update the table of equivalents.
A Firefox guide.
makwak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject: problem with addind subtitles to mpg stream Reply with quote

Hallo Shiznix and all forum readers.
First of all thank You for this excellent HOWTO. This is really valuable, gives many good hints and reveals severity of tools available for linux.

All of the steps worked for me, but adding subtitiles.

what I did:
prompt$ cat ./sub.xml
<subpictures>
<stream>
<textsub filename="sub.srt" characterset="ISO8859-1"
fontsize="28.0" font="Vera.ttf" horizontal-alignment="left"
vertical-alignment="bottom" left-margin="60" right-margin="60"
top-margin="20" bottom-margin="30" subtitle-fps="25"
movie-fps="25" movie-width="720" movie-height="574"
/>
</stream>
</subpictures>

prompt$ ls -l ~/.spumux
total 76
-rw-r--r-- 1 user user 65932 Dec 10 2005 Vera.ttf

prompt$ cat ./sub.srt
00:00:02,700 --> 00:00:03,736
this is my first subtitle.

# input.mpg is 10 seconds long.
prompt$ spumux -v3 -s0 ./sub.xml < input.mpg > ../OUTPUT/with.subs.mpg
DVDAuthor::spumux, version 0.6.11.
Build options: gnugetopt iconv
Send bugs to <dvdauthor-users@lists.sourceforge.net>

INFO: Locale=en_US.UTF-8
INFO: Converting filenames to UTF-8
INFO: Detected subtitle file format: subviewer
INFO: Opened iconv descriptor. *UTF-8* *ISO8859-1*
INFO: Read 1 subtitles
INFO: After read_bmp(): xd=720 yd=574 x0=0 y0=0
INFO: Found EOF in .sub file.
INFO: Subtitle inserted at: 2.884656 sd=1
WARN: Read 0, expected 4
INFO: 1 subtitles added, 0 subtitles skipped, stream: 32, offset: 0.18

Statistics:
- Processed 1 subtitles.
- The longest display line had -1 characters. !!!!!!! Is this the problem?
- The maximum number of displayed lines was 0. !!!!!
- The normal display height of the font Vera.ttf was 0.
- The bottom display height of the font Vera.ttf was 0.
- The biggest subtitle box had 1182 bytes.

$ mplayer ../OUTPUT/with.subs.mpg

I do not see my subtitle on my movie. I pressed 'v' twice while playing to assure that subtitles are enabled.

Have You got the idea what might be the reason?

Best regards and once more thank You for howto.
makwak
Beetle B.
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Xine. I could not see them via mplayer as well.

They won't show up by default in Xine - you'll need to go into the menu and select the proper one (probably 0).

A Firefox guide.
nickrout
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With any2dvd is it possible to re-start a process? Mine crapped out at the spumux stage, but I have fixed spumux. Do I have to start from the beginning (which takes a long time) or is there some way to restart from where it left off?
Beetle B.
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you could try doing the spumux manually using the instructions on the first page.

A Firefox guide.
shiznix
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beetle B. wrote:
Quote:
Can you (or anyone else) confirm for sure that this fixes the NTSC overscan problem ?

The widescreen="nopanscan" option did not fix it for me. I export to 4:3 (I don't have a widescreen TV). NTSC, of course.

Shiznix, it would be awesome if you could release a new version that allows me to use the -j -18,-34,-22,-34 option.

I'll re-add it in any2vob/dvd-0.34 + update the guide with a mention on howto work around for NTSC.
It'll probably be a percentage value specified by the user as overscan can vary greatly between different brands of television, eg. '--overscan=5' to add a 5% border pad of the TV size (720x480).

Current betas can be accessed here ->
http://mightylegends.org/downloads/any2dvd-0.34.sh
http://mightylegends.org/downloads/any2vob-0.34.sh

To those wondering about the '-s2' option specified, AC3 encoded files tend to have a much lower volume than the original source. Using '-s2' brings the newly encoded audio volume back up close to the original source's volume. On some sources that are already close to using full audio bandwidth, this means the encoded result will have some clipping and distortion, so I have removed it.
This volume problem with AC3 is (still) currently being worked on in ffmpeg, expect a fix soon.

I've done a quick update of the guide to be more in line with the latest MPlayer ouput for detecting AC3 5.1 surround + Gimp changes.
The www.cubicdesign.com website that contained the Gimp tutorial to draw simple squares and circles died a while back so have now mirrored this page + included a link to another method of drawing button boxes at http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Borders_On_Selections/

Thanks
Shiznix :wink:
Beetle B.
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a bunch. You're a lifesaver.

I'll try different percentages. The default few that are on the transcode page work somewhat, but still some of it is cropped. Maybe I can squeeze more in.

One quick question (for anyone). I don't have surround sound at home, and often don't encode in it as my source files are only stereo anyway. But if I play it at someone's house who does have surround sound, will some speakers just be silent?

Thanks.

A Firefox guide.
shiznix
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beetle B. wrote:
Thanks a bunch. You're a lifesaver.

I'll try different percentages. The default few that are on the transcode page work somewhat, but still some of it is cropped. Maybe I can squeeze more in.

One quick question (for anyone). I don't have surround sound at home, and often don't encode in it as my source files are only stereo anyway. But if I play it at someone's house who does have surround sound, will some speakers just be silent?

Depends on the DVD player being used.
Most modern DVD players have an option in their system menus to upmix by emulating surround sound (basically duplicates the stereo channels with some bandpass filtering for the sub + centre channels) + can add some depth to the sound by adding in a slight delay on the rear speakers (also configured in the DVD player's system menus).
Some DVD players do this extremely well, some do it but with awful quality, some others don't do it at all.
For those DVD players that don't do it, yes, some speakers will be silent.

Preliminary overscan support has now been added in the beta links listed above.
To use, specify for example '--overscan=5', it will also take decimal values.
If you want to come as close as possible to the '-j -18,-34,-22,-34' option for NTSC, then start with '--overscan=3.5'.

It is not as easy as just specifying '-j -18,-34,-22,-34' as aspect ratio of the original source must be considered, so you may need to experiment with different percentage values before finally arriving at a value that suits your television.

Cheers,
Shiznix

PS> Merry Xmas to all and a Happy New Year to you and yours 8)
shazam75
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

budman8 wrote:

I saw in the howto where it mentioned about the subtitle-fps must be in the fps in which the subtitle file was created.
I had the fps as 25 and the movie-fps 29.97, and had the height and width as the smaller size,
which caused it put the text in the middle of the screen.
I changed it to the original size 720x480 and it worked correctly.

<subpictures>
<stream>
<textsub filename="subtitle.srt"
fontsize="18.0" font="Vera.ttf"
horizontal-alignment="center"
vertical-alignment="bottom"
left-margin="60" right-margin="60"
top-margin="20" bottom-margin="30"
subtitle-fps="25" movie-fps="29.97"
movie-width="720" movie-height="478"
/>
</stream>
</subpictures>

Also, mplayer does not like subtitles very much - there is no option to enable it and the settings keep reverting no matter what you set.
seems like a bug.

Since xine is not cooperating with smaller resolutions, mplayer works fine, but only from cmdline:
mplayer -sid 0 movie.temp.mpg -fs

Just need to figure out how to make them look better. :)
I tried a larger size, looks ok, but the white outline is too bold.Rich

Thankyou Budman8 for this solution - it works for me

Regards
Shelton
darkrat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: naming problem for ac3 extracted audio file Reply with quote

The beta version of this fantastic script is giving me some trouble:

when extracting the AC3 audio from the movie, it produces a file called: treacle1_surround-aid0.ac3
when transcoding is finished, it then calls audio_convert to do the re-encoding (I guess) but it fails because the file name passed to the procedure call lacks the "_surround-aid0" in the name and therefore it can't find the file and it dies.

I tried making a link to the proper file on the fly and it continued okay, at which point it proceeded to the second file that I wanted joined ( -j) together. It had the same problem which I linked to the proper name and it again proceeded.

At this point I figured that there would be no problem, except it produced a seriously truncated joining of these two files with totally out of position audio.

I cannot find the bad call in the script and I am not 100% sure that this isn't a symptom of some kind of other problem so I am reluctant to starting messing with it deeply.

Can anyone give me any insight?

Most people get lost in thought because it is unfamiliar territory. -- Paul Fixx
shiznix
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: naming problem for ac3 extracted audio file Reply with quote

darkrat wrote:
The beta version of this fantastic script is giving me some trouble:

when extracting the AC3 audio from the movie, it produces a file called: treacle1_surround-aid0.ac3
when transcoding is finished, it then calls audio_convert to do the re-encoding (I guess) but it fails because the file name passed to the procedure call lacks the "_surround-aid0" in the name and therefore it can't find the file and it dies.

I tried making a link to the proper file on the fly and it continued okay, at which point it proceeded to the second file that I wanted joined ( -j) together. It had the same problem which I linked to the proper name and it again proceeded.

At this point I figured that there would be no problem, except it produced a seriously truncated joining of these two files with totally out of position audio.

I cannot find the bad call in the script and I am not 100% sure that this isn't a symptom of some kind of other problem so I am reluctant to starting messing with it deeply.

Can anyone give me any insight?

Be happy to help, but please file a bug at any2dvd's sourceforge site -> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=143060&atid=754969

Be sure to include in your bug report the command-line used and attach your any2dvd.log file.

Thanks, Shiznix
xante
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im having an issue with creating a blank audio track for the menu.

Code:
xante@localhost /leepa/dvds $ ffmpeg -ab 224 -ar 48000 -ac 2 -t 5 menu_audio.ac3
FFmpeg version SVN-rUNKNOWN, Copyright (c) 2000-2006 Fabrice Bellard, et al.
  configuration:  --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib --shlibdir=/usr/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man --enable-static --enable-shared --cc=i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc --disable-mmx --disable-altivec --disable-debug --disable-audio-oss --disable-v4l --disable-v4l2 --disable-dv1394 --disable-network --disable-ffplay --disable-opts --enable-mp3lame --enable-xvid --enable-vorbis --enable-libogg --enable-faad --enable-faac --enable-gpl --enable-pp --disable-strip
  libavutil version: 49.0.1
  libavcodec version: 51.20.0
  libavformat version: 50.6.0
  built on Jan  6 2007 04:29:05, gcc: 4.1.1 (Gentoo 4.1.1-r1)
Could not find audio grab device

xante@localhost /leepa/dvds $ la
-rw-r--r-- 1 xante xante    0 Jan  9 10:43 menu_audio.ac3

xante@localhost /leepa/dvds $ mplex -f 8 -o movie_menu.mpg menu.m2v menu_audio.ac3
   INFO: [mplex] mplex version 1.8.0 (2.2.4 $Date: 2005/08/28 17:50:54 $)
**ERROR: [mplex] Unable to read from menu_audio.ac3.

Is anyone else perhaps having/had this problem?
Beetle B.
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Shiznix, you were right about the overscan dependent on the file. That really sucks...

For the file I was trying to make a DVD out of, I had to experiment with different values for the padding. 8.5 turned out to be the sweet spot. But then with some other files, 8.5 was way too much.

So: A feature request. Since you use transcode in the script, can you allow us to specify the portion to encode into VOB format using the -c option (you know, only first 5 minutes or whatever). If that's too much work, one option is just letting the user append any further opetions to the transcode command...

The point is that if I have a big file, I want to be able to just make VOBs of the first 5 minutes with different padding values to see what works well. Then I'll do the whole file.

Also, some values of the padding create ghosts in the output.

A Firefox guide.
shiznix
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xante wrote:
Im having an issue with creating a blank audio track for the menu.

Code:
xante@localhost /leepa/dvds $ ffmpeg -ab 224 -ar 48000 -ac 2 -t 5 menu_audio.ac3
FFmpeg version SVN-rUNKNOWN, Copyright (c) 2000-2006 Fabrice Bellard, et al.
  configuration:  --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib --shlibdir=/usr/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man --enable-static --enable-shared --cc=i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc --disable-mmx --disable-altivec --disable-debug --disable-audio-oss --disable-v4l --disable-v4l2 --disable-dv1394 --disable-network --disable-ffplay --disable-opts --enable-mp3lame --enable-xvid --enable-vorbis --enable-libogg --enable-faad --enable-faac --enable-gpl --enable-pp --disable-strip
  libavutil version: 49.0.1
  libavcodec version: 51.20.0
  libavformat version: 50.6.0
  built on Jan  6 2007 04:29:05, gcc: 4.1.1 (Gentoo 4.1.1-r1)
Could not find audio grab device

xante@localhost /leepa/dvds $ la
-rw-r--r-- 1 xante xante    0 Jan  9 10:43 menu_audio.ac3

xante@localhost /leepa/dvds $ mplex -f 8 -o movie_menu.mpg menu.m2v menu_audio.ac3
   INFO: [mplex] mplex version 1.8.0 (2.2.4 $Date: 2005/08/28 17:50:54 $)
**ERROR: [mplex] Unable to read from menu_audio.ac3.

Is anyone else perhaps having/had this problem?

Able to reproduce this when /dev/dsp does not exist.
It is not the best option to use as even when /dev/dsp does exist, it actually records the audio stream from whichever mixer channel is flagged as 'Rec'.
It could be silent, then again it might not be as it could record sound on either 'Mic' or 'Line-in' channels.

This section needs to be fixed.
The guide had in the past used 'toolame', which is a great tool for creating silent MPEG2 (DVD Compliant) audio tracks from a null input.
Toolame was removed in an effort to try and keep the number of tools used to a minimum.

Have added Sox (http://sox.sourceforge.net) in as a required tool for creating intermediate WAV files that FFmpeg can then encode to either AC3 or MPEG2.

Use like this for AC3:
Code:

dd if=/dev/zero bs=4 count=99999 | sox -t raw -wsr 48000 - -t wav -r 48000 - | ffmpeg -i - -ab 224 -ar 48000 -ac 2 menu_audio.ac3

Use like this for MP2:
Code:

dd if=/dev/zero bs=4 count=99999 | sox -t raw -wsr 48000 - -t wav -r 48000 - | ffmpeg -i - -ab 224 -ar 48000 -ac 2 menu_audio.mp2

Thanks for pointing this out, guide updated.
gessy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I've looking for some documentation about dvdauthor variables referred to as g0 through g12 and s0 through s23. Where can i found something about it?

Thanks a lot!
shiznix
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beetle B. wrote:
Hey Shiznix, you were right about the overscan dependent on the file. That really sucks...

For the file I was trying to make a DVD out of, I had to experiment with different values for the padding. 8.5 turned out to be the sweet spot. But then with some other files, 8.5 was way too much.

So: A feature request. Since you use transcode in the script, can you allow us to specify the portion to encode into VOB format using the -c option (you know, only first 5 minutes or whatever). If that's too much work, one option is just letting the user append any further opetions to the transcode command...

The point is that if I have a big file, I want to be able to just make VOBs of the first 5 minutes with different padding values to see what works well. Then I'll do the whole file.

Also, some values of the padding create ghosts in the output.

The option for the user to add extra options for Transcode sounds like a good idea, have added this in.
Use it like --encode_args="-c 0-5000" (arguments must be in quotes).

Have made the calculated overscan clip values also use only even numbers, this should greatly reduce any ghosting in the images or artifacts at the edge of the screen.

Updates to the betas can be found at the same URL links, cheers :)
shiznix
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gessy wrote:
Hi

I've looking for some documentation about dvdauthor variables referred to as g0 through g12 and s0 through s23. Where can i found something about it?

Thanks a lot!

'man dvdauthor' is a fair start, look under the 'VARIABLES' section.

If you need further info or would like to contribute to the dvdauthor project, see here -> http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=59028
gessy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shiznix wrote:
gessy wrote:
Hi

Thanks a lot!

'man dvdauthor' is a fair start, look under the 'VARIABLES' section.

If you need further info or would like to contribute to the dvdauthor project, see here -> http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=59028

I read that but i don't understand so much. I make some tests but not works.
Thanks for help, i'll see dvdauthor project
Beetle B.
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Have made the calculated overscan clip values also use only even numbers, this should greatly reduce any ghosting in the images or artifacts at the edge of the screen.

Even as in only 2, 4, 6, 8, etc - and not 1, 3, 5, 7?

Isn't that too limiting (i.e. jump between 4 and 6 being large)?

So I can't use my 8.5 any more?

Thanks for the update.

A Firefox guide.
shiznix
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beetle B. wrote:
Quote:

Even as in only 2, 4, 6, 8, etc - and not 1, 3, 5, 7?

Isn't that too limiting (i.e. jump between 4 and 6 being large)?

So I can't use my 8.5 any more?

Thanks for the update.

Sorry, I should have been more clear.
Yes, you can still use 8.5 or any other number for that matter, just that the final '-j' calculated clip values as used in the Transcode line are rounded to the nearest even number.
MickKi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your HOWTO!

I extracted a dv file from my camcorder using dvgrab. Then I used kdenlive to edit the timeline and add a couple of transitions. Exporting the modified timeline from kdenlive into a dv or vob file appears to be lossless. As soon as I choose mpeg, mpeg4, mov, etc., as an export format I get a poor quality output.

How can I modify your howto to utilise the dv, or vob files. Transcode does not seem to like dv and vob seems to have produced many artifacts on the final dvd. :(
nickrout
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a proper vob file that is exactly the format you need for a DVD. You don't need any of this software at all, you can use dvdauthor or dvdstyler to aurhor your dvd. Or you could simply use

Code:
any2dvd [any other options you want] -i yourfile.vob
MickKi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Nick,

I tried dvdauthor but it gave me a nasty error (couldn't understand it). I'll try again using a different dvdauthor.xml file and see what gives. Is it possible to use k3b for burning the DVD? What settings are important? I am asking this because I haven't yet managed to burn a DVD with K3b, which will then play onto a DVD player.

PS. WOW! I made it to 1000 posts! Who would have thought it?
nickrout
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd use any2dvd using the .vob file as the input file, as per the last suggestion in my last post.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
Page 29 of 31

Jump to: