View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rsk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 9:39 am    Post subject: KDE + ALSA = ULSER? Reply with quote

Last night I wanted to compile ALSA support into KDE (so I had some good un-assey sound support), and it turned into HOURS of battling with emerge and KDE 3.

What it boiled down to is that I installed ALSA .9rc1 from the alsa site, and then tried to recompile kdelibs and kdemultimedia with --nodeps flag so they would use the ALSA I had provided and not try and install .5 from the emerge repository... anyway every single time, the compile would go for a while then die near the end of the entire process, complaining inevitably about symbols in the alsa files.

After many hours of trying to get this to work, I just uninstalled the .9 drivers, and emerged the kdelibs and kdemultimedia targets and let them merge in the .5 alsa drivers/libs, needless to say this compile ended in disaster as well, complaining about symbols and what not again in the alsa drivers.

I have added "alsa" to my USE line in my make.conf file, so ALSA support will go in, but its not working.

I did manage (many hours ago) to get kdemultimedia to recompile with ALSA support, the side effect of which was that all the sound controlling sliders in all the multimedia software (KMix, NoAuton, etc.) will not move, and do nothing.

Anyone actually suceeded in doing this and have any suggestions? I'll recompile KDE if I have to, but I'd like to atleast know it was going to work before I did it.

Also can I use ALSA .9 and still keep the KDE compile happy? This is really making me with this was the year 2008 and ALSA is already merged into the 2.6 stable branch of the kernel so I don't need to do this stuff.

Thanks!

-Riyad
clee
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 11:19 am    Post subject: Heh. Reply with quote

Funny thing is, I just spent a few hours wrestling with ALSA 0.9.0 rc1 on my iBook and all I had to do after getting it to install manually was emerge arts. I didn't need to recompile kdemultimedia or anything. (I'm also loading a few choice ALSA modules... snd-pcm-oss, snd-mixer-oss).

KDE now works perfectly with my iBook's sound. I'm quite pleased with it. :)

Sorry if this didn't help much... but it _is_ possible, at least.

-clee
rsk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're a LIAR! :)

Just kidding. I reemerged arts with the support, and it shows up in the drop down now, but like I mentioned, the ONLY problem, is that the slider on ALL audio apps totally dies, it does nothing. Its like it no longer understands how to handle volume...

Did you just install ALSA (emerge or download .9?) and then reemerge arts and that was it? Can you go through exact steps?
NU-Slacker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think permissions could be the problem? Have you added your user name to the audio group in /etc/group? If not do this as root:

nano /etc/grouip
find the line that starts audio:
add your username at the end of the line

alternatively you can give access to every user by just going to
users: and adding audio (use a semicolon if necessary to seperate any values) at the end of the line.

If none of that works try a

chmod 666 /dev/mixer*
chmod 666 /dev/dsp*

I hope this helps.
rsk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually run as root (nothing important on linux), and the weird thing is, I used to have a /dev/dsp, then that disappeared with the installation of my nForce audio drivers from nVidia, and a /dev/sound/dsp device appeared, now both of those are gone and all I have that is sound related is /proc/asound, everything else is gone.

Any ideas?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: