KT400 + Barton 2800+
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jesore
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 5:20 pm    Post subject: KT400 + Barton 2800+ Reply with quote

This topic is not linux specific (pure hardware) but these forums always were my best source of knowledge, so ...

I'm having trouble with my new hardware setup.

Barton 2800+
EPOX EP-8K9A3+ KT400 (latest bios)
512 MB Corsair PC-3200 RAM

The Barton has 166 MHz FSB. When I try to set that in bios on next reboot it tells me it had trouble setting the FSB and switches effectively to 133. My momentary workaround is FSB 133 and a different multiplier. All other FSB clock rates up to 165 !!! work, but they overclock the rest system too (pci/agp ...) and I don't want that. Besides that it wasn't very stable when I tested it (even 140 crashed), though I'm not very experienced at overclocking.
Who knows this board??? The homepage tells it supports bartons. Btw. I used that slightly older board, because I wanted to migrate my highpoint raid array and it was the only one suitable.

Another strange thing is with my RAM. When I bench it (Sisoft Sandra - who knows a good memory bench under linux ?) performance is far below kt400 setups, even below kt333 setups. When I set the RAM to DDR333 it is noticeabely faster!!! and reaches the usual 333 level.
Anyone knows what this might be?

Jesore
Jesore
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh come on,
anyone must know someting !!!
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

;)

well it can be a lot of things.

firstly i will say make sure you have the very latest bios.

the kt400 existed long b4 the barton, and you need to update the bios to make barton's compatible - if it is possible with just a bios update on this board.

secondly, you can tweak your memory settings quite a bit because you have 400mhz ram, but only 166mhz cpu, so when you run them in sync (both fsb and ram at 166) you can lower your cas latencies on your ram, to say 3-2-2-2 - that will help :) also in windows, make sure you have the latest 4 in 1 driver from via - www.viaarena.com
Jesore
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the latest bios, it's from march, but in the release notes it tells support for barton cpus (as on the epox homepage). By the way some higher t-breds also have a fsb of 166.
New drivers/bios etc. don't have to be mentioned to me - whenever I have problems I first update all possible before posting.

To the memory thing - I already use very agressive settings (there has to be some advantage of using corsair). With the exact same settings - besides the clock I gain about 15% performance when lowering to fsb 333. I've tried many other settings, like cas latencies - on both fsbs I get roughly the same performance gain/loss out of these options.
The advantage of being in sync may be there (will test it), but both 400 (2x200) and 333 (2x166) are out of sync with my current fsb (133). So I doubt that is the solution.

We'll see - as I've found nothing on my problem I'll probably write to epox, maybe they even answer.

Any more infos are really appreciated.

Jesore
Peaceable Frood
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be the ram, the KT400 don't offically support PC-3200.
Jesore
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, not the RAM, I've put some DDR 266 from my old box inside - still the same result. By the way my 3200 already runs at 2700, as performance is better that way (my second problem - you remember).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: