Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Shouldn't amd64 be changed now that Core 2 Duo is out?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StifflerStealth
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:35 am    Post subject: Shouldn't amd64 be changed now that Core 2 Duo is out? Reply with quote

I was reading up on the Core 2 Duo and it is said that it needs the amd64 keyword and profiles. The Core 2 Duo is a very popular processor and it well, to be blunt it seems stupid that an Intel Processor should use a profile with the name amd in it. :P They both use the x64 architecture so shouldn't that profile and the arch keyword be changed to x64 or something a little more generic? So, the a person with an Intel process would have ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x64" (or ~x64) in the make.conf file and linked to the changed profile.

I do realize that all the ebuilds would in the tree would need to be changed, but I figure that scripts could be written that change amd64 to {whatever is more generic}64 in the keywords line, and then the profile rename. I don't think it would take that much, just that script to change and redigest everything, but in the end it makes a hell of a lot more sense than the current way. Many new people would be really confused at using an amd profile for an Intel chip, so it's kinda a now or later thing, so is there preparation to make these changes already? I feel this is something kinda needs to be done since Intel 64bit is taking off and is becoming very popular. So, we can see a future were there will be many more 64 bit processors from both Intell and AMD, so they should have a generic name. There is an ia-64 profile, but I don't think it's the same as the amd64 profile, because it's for the Itanium which is a completely different beast. So, we should have a generic name for the 64 bit processors and then in the future a generic one for the 128 bit processors. :P It just seems that the amd is in favor with that profile name if both Intel and AMD processors use it.

So, what do you think? I am fully behind changing that keyword and profile name. I know it will cause some confusion at first and users will need to change their profile and keyword selection, but if they can't read that the change is coming up, then ... well ... that should teach them a lesson to read the main page more. ;)

Cheers.
runningwithscissors
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not submit a nice and well tested script that does this? The tree maintainers would appreciate it.

If it works flawlessly, people's installations could just be patched with it alongwith a big flaming notice about the change.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-3715620.html#3715620
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: