C prog book with GNU/Linux bias?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weejoker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:34 pm    Post subject: C prog book with GNU/Linux bias? Reply with quote

Okay, I've watch my original Borland/Windows-based C++ skills evaporate over the last three years due to non-use. I'm now coming from a Perl background and now wishing to try my hand at C in Linux (not going into such a depth to require C++ I think).

Does anyone know of a good C book (hardcopy) highlighting all that teaches the basics AND details of GNU/Linux compiling (makefiles, gcc, etc)? A 'Programming Perl'-style book would be ideal, but I doubt such a book can exist. ;)

The latter detail seems to be lacking in the other forum threads I've read, so hence why I've posted.

Cheers,
John

P.S Any good links to concise webpages detailing the "GNU/Linux compiling" part are more than welcome, as I'd like to start straight away. :)
Pythonhead
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: C prog book with GNU/Linux bias? Reply with quote

Weejoker wrote:

P.S Any good links to concise webpages detailing the "GNU/Linux compiling" part are more than welcome, as I'd like to start straight away. :)

While this is a huge page, if you click on this link it'll take you to a "Hello world" example of compiling a C program and how to create a configure/Makefile using autotconf. Very simple to follow.
http://www.amath.washington.edu/~lf/tutorials/autoconf/toolsmanual.html#SEC33
Weejoker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Pythonhead! :D

Although it's not brief, that would pretty much cover everything I think I'd need on the GNU tools side. If anyone else cannot come up with a hardcopy solution, then I'll just use that page and see what C books are recommended. ;)

John
robmoss
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The accepted best book on C is "The C Programming Language" by Brian Kernighan and Dennis Ritchie. I'd suggest finding that on amazon.com and reading some of the reader reviews before even *thinking* about buying anything else. You will not find a better book on C - those two did invent the language, after all!
Weejoker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - that book looks like the one I'm looking for:
Quote:
... [this book is] a combination of dictionary and "The Elements of Style" for the "c" language.

Hehe - sounds like 'Programming Perl' for C... and they've done an Answer Book too (possibly a good 'Perl Cookbook' replacement)! ;)

Cheers Rob. :D
dolbz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol sounds like you're pleased. I've been going through that book slowly. Now my school exams are over I'm trying to delve into C a bit more. I need some small scale programs to write along side the book examples. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Dolbz
Xiderpunk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robmoss2k wrote:
The accepted best book on C is "The C Programming Language" by Brian Kernighan and Dennis Ritchie. I'd suggest finding that on amazon.com and reading some of the reader reviews before even *thinking* about buying anything else. You will not find a better book on C - those two did invent the language, after all!

100% agree, it's the book I started with and still refer too. Uniquely I feel, for technical writers they write in such a way that people new to programming can follow.

Most UK college's, universities have that book as essential reading material for computer science, along with 'modern structured analysis' and Stalling's 'Computer organization and architecture'.

Strongly recommend it.
dirtboy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dolbz, I got one for ya. I just started c programming and I have a little project I could use some help with. I'm trying to create a little program that will check an email box periodically and look for email with a certain string as the subject and from a specified email address or domain. It will then pasrse a URL from the body and pass that URL to ProZilla for downloading. I'm gonna use it to download things at home by sending myself an email from work or elsewhere. My boss will appreciate me using less bandwidth at work. If you are interested send me a private message.

[Edit]
Anyone else is welcome too, just please don't do it for me. I'll never learn that way.
markkuk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: C prog book with GNU/Linux bias? Reply with quote

Pythonhead wrote:
While this is a huge page, if you click on this link it'll take you to a "Hello world" example of compiling a C program and how to create a configure/Makefile using autotconf. Very simple to follow.
http://www.amath.washington.edu/~lf/tutorials/autoconf/toolsmanual.html#SEC33

There is an updated (and maintained) version of the tutorial at http://autotoolset.sourceforge.net/tutorial.html
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: