Amarok buggy collection
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryan83vt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Amarok buggy collection Reply with quote

I've had this weird thing where I open amarok and my collection is empty. If I go into settings, my music folder is checked, but I can't get my collection to show up. Today I opened amarok and magically it started scanning for files and rebuilt my collection. But now when I play songs, it still says in "current context" that "This file is not in your collection!" Has anyone had this happen? I think I should just blow away my collection database table and settings... I don't listen to songs that often. And it's happened in the past where I would open amarok and my collection would be empty.
RageOfOrder
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's happened to me before, but usually only after amarok crashed (which is usually caused by my computer locking up... which is usually caused by Beryl. lol. ). Either way, if a restart of Amarok doesn't work I usually just rebuild the whole collection, which takes a long time for 12,000 songs...
Icer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had similar issues today. I tried recompile but it didnt help. I had to drop amarok database in mysql. Too bad that the statistics are now lost. Well at least I got to keep all of the album art.

Btw, anybody happen to know if there is a way to automatically search for the album art for all albums instead of manually searching. I mean that the right click on cd cover and then search one by one is tiresome. For example ampache can automatically get album art for all albums.
swooshOnLn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im not at my computer right now but I think under "Cover Manager" (or something to those lines) theres a "Fetch Missing Covers" or "Fetch Missing" button that does just that.

This is my font size, color, and signature. It will change to whatever I pick. How cool is that?
Icer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swooshOnLn wrote:
im not at my computer right now but I think under "Cover Manager" (or something to those lines) theres a "Fetch Missing Covers" or "Fetch Missing" button that does just that.

Yay! :D Found it. Thanks!
Flameeyes
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you happen to be using k3b 1.0_pre versions, that is the culprit. Amarok 1.4.3 and later, and K3b 1.0_pre don't seem to like each other.
Kaste
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that is the reson for me. I experience this problem since switching to mysql as the db backend which is a fair while ago and i installed k3b 1.0_pre only today so that must be a different matter.
Maybe this isn't related, but if i update a songs band or album tags the collection view is not updated anymore, not even after rebuilding the collection I think, although i hvae to check up on that again first.
pteppic
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a mysql upgrade issue it it?
Icer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flameeyes wrote:
If you happen to be using k3b 1.0_pre versions, that is the culprit. Amarok 1.4.3 and later, and K3b 1.0_pre don't seem to like each other.

I don't think that is the issue here. I got k3b but it's version 0.12.14. It could be mysql as Kaste and Pteppic suggested. I recently upgraded mysql from v4.x to v5.x. After that the collection was behaving weirdly.
zerojay
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diego, can you possibly elaborate a bit on what the actual problem is between Amarok and K3b? I'm having some collection based problems in Amarok, exactly the same one as the original poster here and K3b just updated earlier today.

If you need someone to help with testing a possible fix, please let me know.
Robelix
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also get always the "THIS FILE IS NOT IN YOUR COLLECTION!" in the Context-Tab. But the collection does not get lost.
And another strange thing: When I unset the cover image and grab a new one the Context-Tab shows the old one again. Everywhere else (Cover manager, drag'n'drop, OSD) I see the new one.

amarok-1.4.4 with mysql-5.0.26.
swooshOnLn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and if your using mysql, its probally a good idea to backup your database every once in a while:

from the wiki:
Code:

#!/bin/sh
# Put this in your cron.weekly, dont forget to chmod a+x
# Backup the Amarok MySQL database
dir=`date +%Y-%m-%d`
if [ -d /home/backup/amarok ]; then
       mkdir /home/backup/amarok/$dir
       mysqldump -u amarok -pPASSWORD amarok > /home/backup/amarok/$dir/amarok.mysql
fi

This is my font size, color, and signature. It will change to whatever I pick. How cool is that?
zerojay
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robelix wrote:
I also get always the "THIS FILE IS NOT IN YOUR COLLECTION!" in the Context-Tab. But the collection does not get lost.
And another strange thing: When I unset the cover image and grab a new one the Context-Tab shows the old one again. Everywhere else (Cover manager, drag'n'drop, OSD) I see the new one.

amarok-1.4.4 with mysql-5.0.26.

That is exactly the problem I am having right now.
zerojay
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Removing K3B and rebuilding the collection did not help. According to https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=155775, Amarok is having problems with the MySQL 5 update with even current SVN versions having problems. (Far more understandable than K3b causing a problem with it.) Because it looks like it's going to be a while before the problem is fixed, I'm going to switch back to using sqlite and I suggest you guys do the same until the problem is fixed.
Robelix
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved back to mysql-4.1 - and the "file is not in collection" problem is gone.

The problem with the cover images is still the same.
Conan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amarok still has some problems with 5.0.26, not sure when they will be fixed, no ones been doing any work on it in SVN afaik.
nahpets
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conan wrote:
Amarok still has some problems with 5.0.26, not sure when they will be fixed, no ones been doing any work on it in SVN afaik.

I just lost all my statistics today in amarok today, but they're still there in the mysql db. Will downgrading mysql fix this or should I just emerge postgresql and be done with it?
Let me guess, you picked out yet another colorful box with a crank that I'm expected to turn and turn until OOP! big shock, a jack pops out and you laugh and the kids laugh and the dog laughs and I die a little inside.
Kaste
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest you check wether you can really access those. I guess you changed your password or Amarok forgot about it or you lost permissions, or the mysql server wasn't started when you opened Amarok.

It took me a while to figure these out when they happened to me because the error is just reported in one of those little popup boxes and vanishes very soon. maybe start Amarok from console and see what it tells you when you start
Robelix
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's a permission issue - if you drop the mysql-permissions for the amarok-db you'll get the Config-Wizard of amarok again.

It seems that using it with mysql-5 it can leave some crap in the db - I had some troubles with podcasts after the mysql downgrade. They showed up duplicate, had the same entries multiple times and were not deleteable in amarok. After removing them in phpmyadmin and recreating in amarok they work fine now.
nahpets
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaste wrote:
I'd suggest you check wether you can really access those. I guess you changed your password or Amarok forgot about it or you lost permissions, or the mysql server wasn't started when you opened Amarok.

It took me a while to figure these out when they happened to me because the error is just reported in one of those little popup boxes and vanishes very soon. maybe start Amarok from console and see what it tells you when you start

It wasn't a permission problem. I was able to log into mysql using 'mysql -u amarok -p' and query the database myself; all the stats were still there. I guess amarok just got confused and duplicated everything. It's not the first time Amarok has done this to me after an upgrade (amarok upgrade, not mysql). In any event, I deleted the table and rescaned my collection and everything was ok.

Luckily, I saved a playlist of all my top-rated songs, which makes it easy to rate them all 3+ stars. Even if I lost the play stats, I can still find my favs, so I'm happy.
Let me guess, you picked out yet another colorful box with a crank that I'm expected to turn and turn until OOP! big shock, a jack pops out and you laugh and the kids laugh and the dog laughs and I die a little inside.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: