Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Roundup:Kernels with JMicron support (JMB363, 361, 360, 36x)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@freshy98:

yes, you are right, look at page 1 of this thread :roll: :

1) 2.6.18-rc4-no2 "To be..." | (Super Fix/Stability Attempt?) this release is highly recommended, since it supports loads of hardware (including Jmicron & Intel ICH8/R; besides that my livecds are based on it)

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
freshy98
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I noticed that. But the no-sources I couldn't find in portage, and mm-sources was there with 2.6.19-rc5-mm2 so I took that.
Seem to work ok atm. Did a emerge world -u which consisted of about 120 packages, and all when fine. Xorg-x11 too except for nvidia-drivers. Need to use a newer version of that for the kernel version I use atm.
No biggy.
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@rammstein:

here the links to 2.6.18-rc4-no2:

here the direct link to the patch
and the ebuild

kudos to cheater1034 :)

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
bog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey,

i've successfully booted kerneloftruths minimal installcd (amd64) on my asus p5b(+c2d e6400) and then installed gentoo on my harddisk. while being on the linux the cd provided, all my hardware appeared to work fine: both sata and pata part of the jmicron controller (i have one hard disk each, the cd-drive is also pata) worked fine, and since i've been having odd problems with this board and gentoo linux in the past, i decided to just grab the kernel sources the installcd runs on (2.6.18-rc4-no2), copy the kernel config from /proc/config.gz (according to the instructions the current handbook gave me) and make a
Code:
genkernel all

after rebooting, i was presented with a bunch of issues:

- the PATA-part of the jmicron controller doesn't work anymore. i don't quite grasp how that is possible, since i used both the kernel sources and the kernel config of the livecd, and on the latter, it worked perfectly.

- the software clock is running like mad. this issue is configming the posting that someone posted on the first page of this thread. for instance, when i do a
Code:
# hwclock;date
right after booting into linux, the date is off for just a few seconds. when i repeat this sequence of commands an hour afterwards, the date is already two hours ahead of the bios' hwclock. i have tried several approaches i found on these forums to solving this issue, but none have been successfull. i can only conclude that this is an issue with my kernel config, since back on the installcd-environment, the clock ran fine.

- net.eth0 is in the rc-script, however when dhcp is used to determine an ip for the interface, i get a "No DHCP client installed". dhcpcd is installed, and running "dhcpcd eth0" works as expected. i've already un- and reemerged dhcpcd. no effect. /etc/conf.d/net reads as follows:
Code:
dns_domain="Net"
config_eth0=( "dhcp" )
dhcp_eth0=( "nonis nodns nontp" )
ifconfig eth0 right after bootup confirms: the interface doesn't get an ipv4 address. this issue of course might be a configuration problem and not related to the kernel or the hardware.

here's my kernel config: http://www.rafb.net/paste/results/o67PNR88.html
and here's the make.conf: http://www.rafb.net/paste/results/gqMz5l17.html
freshy98
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't use genkernel with anything else then gentoo-sources imo.
It looks like certain things are missing from your kernel.

I used mm-sources 2.6.19-rc5-mm2 and it works fine here.
However, I set up my own config with all I need.

If you want, I can upload it for you.
bog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

would that make sense? do you have an asus p5b?
could i just copy your .config over mine in /usr/src/linux/ and do a make menuconfig that effectively loads your config and lets me change my stuff?

if so, i'd really appreciate an upload. if you're on a p5b, i guess i'll take a shot at it and get myself your kernel version as well.

edit: oh, and https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-498617.html fixed the clock issue. both are running in sync now.
freshy98
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a P5B, I have a Gigabyte DQ6.
However, the chipsets (ICH8(R) and JMicron) are exactly the same except Gigabyte names the JMicron the Gigabyte SATA controller or something like that.

Give me about half an hour from now, since I am in Windows atm.
freshy98
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, got my config uploaded: http://stimpy.servebeer.com/linux/config-2.6.19-rc5-mm2
Notes: Without Generic PCI IDE Chipset Support you will have /dev/sd* for the ICH8 controller, and also for the JMicron controller.
With it you will have /dev/sd* for the IC8 controller BUT /dev/hd* on the PATA part of the JMicron controller.

Also, don't get fooled by Linux and it way of detecting devices.
For instance, without the Generic PCI IDE etc I have /dev/sde as my PATA drive, and GRUB needs (hd4,0) as my boot partition (also root drive). But the BIOS sees the PATA driver as the first drive, thus (hd0,0).
The same goes for when you have Generic PCI IDE etc enabled so you have /dev/hda as your first PATA hard drive. In that case you need to setup Grub as (hd0,0) from within the livecd.

At the moment I see no difference in hdparm -tT on either /dev/sde or /dev/hda, so I will leave the kernel option enabled (kinda did that by mistake tbh.)
bog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks mate. i'm just now rebooting into a 2.6.19-rc6-mm2 kernel, if that's failing (as i'm anticipating ;)), i'll give your config file a try.
freshy98
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, rc6 is out too now?
it wasn't in portage when I emerged my mm2 sources.

good luck with it!
bog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

got that bitch running now :D

thanks again for your help!
freshy98
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you use your own kernel config or mine?

ANd glad's it's runnig for you now :-)
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this one:
03:00.0 SATA controller: JMicron Technologies, Inc. JMicron 20360/20363 AHCI Controller

and it just works. Since 2.6.16 or so. AHCI support in the kernel. No boot parameters needed. It just works.

I identify as a dirty penismensch.
lenk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently on 2.6.19-gentoo-r1 for few hours. Hope it doesn't freeze, still testing. I am on Gigabyte DS3 motherboard. Using the new libata pata Jmicron driver. I am still getting some errors like this:

scsi6 : pata_jmicron
ata7.00: ATAPI, max UDMA/33
ata7.01: failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, err_mask=0x2)
ata7: failed to recover some devices, retrying in 5 secs
ata7.00: configured for UDMA/33
scsi7 : pata_jmicron
ATA: abnormal status 0x7F on port 0x7807
scsi 6:0:0:0: CD-ROM BENQ DVD DD DW1640 BSLB PQ: 0 ANSI: 5
sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 48x/48x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20
sr 6:0:0:0: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0
sr 6:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg1 type 5

I have to use "irqpoll" for boot option. Otherwise it will take a very long time boot. Has anyone file a bug report upstream about this?
Sun Ultra5 Gentoo
freshy98
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@energyman76b, which sources?

@lenk, don't think 2.6.19-r1 was in portage when I setup my sysytem, hence i used mm-sources. However, I haven't seen any errors in dmesg so far as you show.
You could try to compile in the Generic PCI IDE chipset support, which gives /dev/hd*. Maybe it helps, maybe not.
lenk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

freshy98: ata7.01: failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, err_mask=0x2)???

I have tried using the old ATA jmicron driver, but it freezes the kernel during boot. I haven't tried the generic IDE yet.
Sun Ultra5 Gentoo
freshy98
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lenk wrote:
freshy98: ata7.01: failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, err_mask=0x2)???

I have tried using the old ATA jmicron driver, but it freezes the kernel during boot. I haven't tried the generic IDE yet.

Not sure if it will help.
Don't know if mm-sources uses the old or newer driver for JMicron. I suspect the newer.
bog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@freshy98, i made my own one from scratch. i had done this before, but since it hadn't worked with the no-sources, i resorted to genkernel. only once. trust me, i'm usually cooler. ;)

another issue has come up: i'm not able to get grub to boot windows. under linux, i get to see all 4 drives that i have:
1x hdd sata over jmicron
1x hdd pata over jmicron
1x dvdr pata over jmicron
1x hdd pata over hpt-something pci raid controller, but thats irrelevant
the second drive carries my windows-install. i've hence added a section to grub as described in the tutorial, using "rootnoverify (hd1,0)" as i thought grub would recognize the win-pata-hdd as the second drive, however that didn't work. it gave me the parameters i set in grub's config file, then however just stopped doing anything besides showing a blinking cursor. under /dev, the windows-drive is hdc, so i tried (hd2,0). no change. i also tried the two map-commands in order to have windows see its second drive is the first, but that resulted in insanely quick beeping and me restarting out of annoyance.
currently, i have my windows-drive put as primary device in bios, and usually have to switch the linux drive to my primary boot device in order to get linux working. is there any way to get the windows-boot working? or am i just using the wrong adressing in my grub.conf?
freshy98
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the adressing is wrong.

What you could try is the following. Boot the drive with Grub on it, and on the menu list you can press a key to get a command line (like in the livecd where you root/setup grub setup.
From there, do root ( and press tab to see what you got. Should be hd ofcourse, so enter that, and tab your way from there.
It should let you see what you got. WIth any luck you can guess from the partition layout which drive is which.

That's kind of the way I set things up here.
bog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, i did that and could confirm that hd2 had to be the windows-hd. i then tried the mapping-procedure on hd2 and it worked just fine. back when i tried it with hd1, i neglected to think of trying it with hd2 too. stupid me ;)

thanks once again for your help. all my issues are solved.
freshy98
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no problem at all.
modern OS's and BIOS don't go very well together.
what the BIOS says isn't what the OS takes for granted anymore.
That why things get screwed up.
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

freshy98 wrote:

@lenk, don't think 2.6.19-r1 was in portage when I setup my sysytem, hence i used mm-sources. However, I haven't seen any errors in dmesg so far as you show.
You could try to compile in the Generic PCI IDE chipset support, which gives /dev/hd*. Maybe it helps, maybe not.

starting with 2.6.16. 2.6.17 worked too, and 2.6.18 and at the moment I am using 2.6.19

I identify as a dirty penismensch.
freshy98
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
freshy98 wrote:

starting with 2.6.16. 2.6.17 worked too, and 2.6.18 and at the moment I am using 2.6.19

But what sources? mm-sources, no-sources, gentoo-sources?
lenk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

freshy98: mm and vanilla uses both old and new libata drivers. Drivers under ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL are the old ones, while under Serial ATA (prod) and Parallel ATA (experimental) drivers is the new libata stack. Drivers are slowly being ported to the new libata stack. Andrew morton has left the jmicron driver for the IDE stack in, for people who wish to use it. But he recommends using the jmicron driver under the new libata.
Sun Ultra5 Gentoo
lenk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the jmicron has both SATA port and IDE port. For those who wish to use the SATA port. Just enable AHCI in your BIOS and built your kernel with Serial ATA (prod) and Parallel ATA (experimental) drivers ---> <*> AHCI SATA support.

ps: Its been almost 24hrs testing the libata PATA jmicron driver. No crashes yet. For those having problems with 2.6.18, you can safely upgrade. All of the 2.6.18 kernels I have tried crashes at some point.
Sun Ultra5 Gentoo
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: