gentoo-bsd questions... irc not giving me answers
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VeliuX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: gentoo-bsd questions... irc not giving me answers Reply with quote

Hello, this post is not meant as a flame, but rather some question.

Is there an amd64 freesbie livecd so i can install gentoo-bsd amd64?

What is the latest install guide?

Will nvidia drivers work for gentoo-bsd amd64?

Is there any alternative to OSS when it comes to sound support?

Ok, I am the only person i know that uses gentoo, i think gentoo is the best linux distro, but the best operating system i have used is freebsd. This is not meant as a flame. A couple of weeks ago i had trouble with my windows 2000 install and it basically got nuked, from an unstable peice of software. My harddrive is 250 gigs, and i have a slave that is 40 gig (IDE). Ok well i had to reinstall windows, well windows 2000 pre sp3 doesnt like harddrives over 130 gigs, so i used data life guard tools but the bad thing is, it wiped my gentoo install, i really had no other choice (yes i tried linux livecd and just partitioning with fdisk, but no go windows reported the partition was damaged and wouldnt format it. Well i didnt have time to install gentoo, between college and work, so i installed freebsd....ok it was awsome, the i re-configured my kernel and the damn system was fast, booting in less than a couple of seconds. Compiling for some reason was fast, every time i updated i got a peice of mail from freebsd.org telling me what changes were made, what security bugs to look out for, and just general news, i thought that was kinda nice. Everything seemed really stable. But i did have some pet peeves. I didnt like compiling every peice individually (make, make install, make clean), I didnt like the sound support, firestarter wasnt in ports tree, and the ports tree i found was little hard to navigate, for example (i wish there was a section for cd burning software...but its burried in another port folder), i also wish that gnome had its own port directory. Other than that, the freebsd system, just seemed better in performance all around, and stable. But i did however want portage, and i wanted better sound support. Also the amd64 version of freebsd doesnt have nvidia drivers, so i had to use i386. I hear many people on these forums say freebsd's smp sucks...i didnt find that the case, i have an anthlon64 3800+ x2, and the kernel rocked. I just dont know why it seemed like compiling packages in freebsd took less time than in gentoo....? The kernel install was a breeze. Another pet peeve i noticed was in gnome, whenever i say compiled vlc....it never showed up in my menus..nor did alot of other software? Anyway, i am really interested in gentoo-bsd...just cause i think the freebsd kernel and system tools are way better than linux. If not i plan on installing gentoo again but i have to wait till i get my windows xp 64-bit cd from newegg.
The only reason i bought windows xp 64 is because at work i need to keep up with windows OSes cause those are what i repair. I work at best buy and am on the geek squad...i work with a bunch of idiots.....they only know windows, and i dunno they just arnt very technical they just know how to run a virus scanner hehe. I asked one of them if they use any other operating systems other than windows and they said redhat..... i was like uhhh...wow nice a windows alternative, then i asked him so have you actually run any real GNU/Linux distros? He just starred at me. I am 19 and am going for a bachelors in computer science. I also firmly believe that windows will one day die and an Open source OS will takes its place. I had to beta vista, and i can tell you...they stole freaking the transparent stuff you know the (cant think of the wording) packages beryl/compiz or what ever...well they basically took that and made there own version...but not as good. I also notice they took alot of stuff from Mac OS.... Man it used 400-600 megs of ram just to get it running right..and it still lagged a little, even with half of the services turned off, and turning off all the gui stuff.
Anyways sorry for rambling, I just wanted to say GOOD JOB DEVs... I only hope one day i will be a talented programmer like yourselves. I plan on buying a laptop...for school, and plan on putting gentoo linux on it with the jfs filesystem.

Also do you think this is safe for ext3? Im trying to get the most speed, i dont have many large files...I mean how big is a file to consider it large, but?
mkfs.ext3 -J size=100 -m 1 -O dir_index,filetype,has_journal,data_journal hdx
tune2fs -o journal_data_writeback /dev/hdx
?

I dont use anything experimental except -march=athlon64 -pipe O2
Makeopts="-j3" (is this okay for a dual-core athlon64?)

thanks guys
w00dst0ck
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to let you know that you didn't have to install each port seperately as you did by going to /usr/ports/(theportyouwant) and then make install clean.

You should have installed portupgrade which is under /usr/ports/sysutils/portupgrade what that tool does is make using the ports a lot simpler and less tedious.

Code:
portinstall kde firefox xchat amarok

That would have installed all of those apps in a very similar way to gentoo emerge process.

Just letting you know though.
w00dst0ck
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another note.

Ext3 is a very nice file system. I find it to be the best overall general good in almost every situation file system of choice under GNU/Linux.
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Gentoo on Alternative Architectures.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
VeliuX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know ext3 is great have always used it, i have experimented with jfs...i can see it would be good for laptops, xfs is fast but unstable in some instances, reiserfs...sucks didnt like it at all, it just slows down, like i dont like how it needs to be repacked etc., i also tried reiser4 when it first came out...didnt like it to much i would say it is fast but the processor i used it on was slow it was an athlon-xp 1800+, i wonder what it would be like on my new processor athlon 64 3800+ x2. So what do you think of the ext3 tweaks, are they good bad and will i see a diff over the regular -O dir_index?
Thank you for letting me know about portupgrade very nice i didnt relize this wish they would have mentioned it in the handbook, well at least i didnt read it hehe. Also would setting my gentoo cflag O2 to O or Os show any improvment? Over O2? Im still learning freebsd, I want to switch to 7.0-current but i dont think im ready yet. I also need to learn IPF...cause i currently have no firewall :/....im just testing it right now. Thanks for the responses :).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: