kerberos library problems after portage update
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 4:26 pm    Post subject: kerberos library problems after portage update Reply with quote

Hi

After I did an 'emerge portage' kerberos was updated. Now many things are broken. For example Pine and Xscreensaver would not work until I did 'ln -s /usr/lib/libkrb5.so /usr/lib/libkrb4.so.2'. Now Pine will work but xscreensaver will not work and will not recompile (even the most recent version) with or without the link.

regards

dm
bLanark
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 2:17 pm    Post subject: Me Too Reply with quote

I too have this (only very recently). I solved xscreensaver by rebuilding, but others (E.g. pure-ftpd) are not so successful.

I did have kerberos in my use vars, I've taken it out now, but still no joy.

Has anyone got any ideas? I've re-emerged kth-krb, mit-krb5, and pam-krb5, but still no joy.
(Yes, only kth-krb is a kerberos 4 implementation; I'm clutching at straws here)
thoand
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 3:44 am    Post subject: the same Reply with quote

all three systems here have got the same problem. i have also tried to recompile, but nothing changes.
CerberusX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also am seeing this problem. I am working on the xscreensaver problem but I have yet to have any sucess. I even tried "USE=" " emerge xscreensaver" and the build died also.
faithfilled
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 12:36 pm    Post subject: This is messy. Reply with quote

I had the same problem too, just using xscreensaver. It's seems like the xscreensaver configure script assumes that if kerberos is installed on the system, the user must have both krb4 and krb5 libraries. I found a solution, but it's really a kludge and it only works for xscreensaver. Other apps might have a similar solution, though. The best solution is for these apps to have the authors fix the configure files.

Some of these steps may not be necessary if you have already done them once. This is more of a general outline for creating your own modified ebuilds to override those in portage. I did this also for creating a gentoo kernel with a modified set of patches.

Do these steps as root.

1) Enable the portage overlay directory. In /etc/make.conf, comment out this line:
Code:
PORTDIR_OVERLAY=/usr/local/portage

2) Create the portage overlay directory and the associated subdirectories for xscreensaver:
mkdir -p /usr/local/portage/x11-misc/xscreensaver

3) Copy the xscreensaver ebuild you want to use:
cd /usr/local/portage/x11-misc/xscreensaver
cp /usr/portage/x11-misc/xscreensaver/xscreensaver-4.05-r3.* .

4) Edit the ebuild and add this line somewhere in the src_compile function to DISABLE KERBEROS:

Code:
# Added workaround the bug in configure file
myconf="${myconf} --without-kerberos"
# This line should appear before ./configure is called.

5) Make digest files for this ebuild:
ebuild xscreensaver-4.05.* digest

6) Emerge xscreensaver and your golden!
emerge xscreensaver

The disadvantage to this method is that you have to do the same thing for newer ebuilds when you upgrade. Hopefully xscreensaver itself will get fixed soon and this will no longer be necessary.

By the way, since many applications may make this assumption about kerberos libraries, is it perhaps a valid assumption. I would hope not! I'm not an expert on kerberos, though.

Enjoy! :D
CistaroJim
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get libkrb4.so etc by adding krb4 to your USE list and re emerging mit-krb5. This builds krb4 support within krb5.
thoand
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:27 pm    Post subject: great! Reply with quote

thanks for your help! now everything runs perfectly! but now i have a question am i able to see wich USEs a .ebuild supports? and how can i see that?

greets thoand
who is happy again :D
CistaroJim
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not an expert. As a matter of fact, I had the same problem as you until I started poking around this morning. But one way is to look for the IUSE variable in the ebuild file.

For example:
/usr/portage/app-crypt/mit-krb5/mit-krb5-1.2.8.ebuild

has the line
IUSE="krb4 static"

these are the optional USEs it will look for.

You can also look at the USE variable guide int the docs section. It has a link to all the possible USEs. If you want extreme details, you can look at the Ebuild howto.
faithfilled
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 5:52 am    Post subject: xscreensaver works Reply with quote

FYI, the newest ebuild of xscreensaver checks for the presence of both kerberos AND krb4 when including kerberos support so everything works together.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: