Sun disklabel creation
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
n0de
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 6:54 pm    Post subject: Sun disklabel creation Reply with quote

I have 2 drives in my machine, the primary was detected OK by the fdisk sun disklabel creator, but the second was not. I cannot find the technical details on the drive model (IBM ddrs 39130) to do a custom label. If I just use the defaults will it cause problems? Is a label even necessary for my 2nd (non-boot) disk?
mrgalihad
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of machine is this on? SCSI or IDE? In your prom if you probe for it, does it find it? Just trying to validate that the disk/controller is still good.
bent
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Sun disklabel creation Reply with quote

n0de wrote:
I have 2 drives in my machine, the primary was detected OK by the fdisk sun disklabel creator, but the second was not. I cannot find the technical details on the drive model (IBM ddrs 39130) to do a custom label. If I just use the defaults will it cause problems? Is a label even necessary for my 2nd (non-boot) disk?

If my memory serves me correctly (I'm at work at present) I have the very same drive in my Sparc 20, a 9 gig SCSI SCSI LVD drive. Quite a noisy seeker, too. I tried the same thing with fdisk and you're right, it doesn't figure out the geometry. The existing label was created by Solaris, which of course, did find the info. Watch this space, when I get home I'll see if I can get more info from it for you.
-benT
nadmaximus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 3:10 pm    Post subject: Maybe this will help... Reply with quote

http://www.hgst.com/hdd/prod/9esprod.htm

Link to the spec document:

http://www.hgst.com/tech/techlib.nsf/techdocs/85256AB8006A31E587256AA400595BA0

The useful info is on about page 19 of the pdf. I had to do the same thing for the drive in my SunBlade, though it is a different model.

-price
joshuap
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:42 pm    Post subject: Sun Disk Labels Reply with quote

If you guys have ever had problems creating a sun disk label in Linux, I solved my problem with my Maxtor 80GB, which wouldn't create a drive bigger than 20GB in Linux. I ended up deleting all the partitions on it, then popping in my solaris 8 cd, starting the install, letting it partition and format, then kill the install and start my linux install.

Just a thought if you haven't figured it out yet.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: