ripping DVDs with subtitles?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElCondor
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2002 1:19 pm    Post subject: ripping DVDs with subtitles? Reply with quote

Hi! I've emerged dvdrip and it really works fine, but how do I select and encode subtitles? do i need some extra-tool or am I just blind?

* ElCondor pasa *

Legal notice: this is for privat use only! I own all the dvds I encode! I am not giving the encoded data to somebody else (but you may borrow the dvd) ;)
ch0c0b0
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2002 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. I think you have to set some flags in the transcode option. I found this page from a quick search: http://www.theorie.physik.uni-goettingen.de/~ostreich/transcode/html/subtitles.html

On a related note: I've been trying to rip some DVD's myself, and was wondering how you got dvdrip to work. I could rip the vob file fine, but when I press the "Transcode" button, nothing happens. Just wondering, if I'm missing something. I've tried with the default settings, except for AC3 Passtrough (i've also tried with the default MP3 codec). Thanks :)
Klavs
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2002 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried DVDrip - and it takes it approx. 8 minutes to Read the table of Contents on the DVD. Is that normal?

Klavs Klavsen
Denmark

Working with Unix is like wrestling a worthy opponent.
Working with windows is like attacking a small whining child
who is carrying a .38.
ElCondor
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2002 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depending on the TOC .. "Matrix" (region code 2) has 37 tracks, it takes 2:30min on a 8xDVD to read the TOC. 8min is quite long.

* ElCondor pasa *
ElCondor
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2002 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ch0c0b0 wrote:
Hi. I think you have to set some flags in the transcode option. I found this page from a quick search: http://www.theorie.physik.uni-goettingen.de/~ostreich/transcode/html/subtitles.html

Thanks, I'm playing around with that, but could not yet get some subtitles ..
ch0c0b0 wrote:
I could rip the vob file fine, but when I press the "Transcode" button, nothing happens. Just wondering, if I'm missing something. I've tried with the default settings, except for AC3 Passtrough (i've also tried with the default MP3 codec). Thanks :)

Here's from the logs how I transcoded a track:
Code:
transcode -i /data/dvdrip/matrix/vob/001 -a 0 -w 1160,250,100 -b 224,0,0 -s 1.611 --a52_drc_off  -V  -C 3 -I 3 -f 25 -Y 52,14,52,2 -B 27,10,8 -x vob -y divx5 -o /data/dvdrip/matrix/avi/001/matrix-001.avi
Compare this with your parameters, maybe you find the difference

* ElCondor pasa *
ElCondor
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the subtitles the way ch0c0b0's link describes.
Just in case someone else is playing around: if you do not get any subtitles, don't give up too fast, you may have to play around with the extsub parameters A LOT! Getting readable subtitles from "Le fabuleux destin d` Amélie Poulain" took me about 20 tries! They were inverted, transparent, only border, ....

And still no subtitles from "The Matrix" ...

<EDIT>: Subtitles are strange .. and very difficult to extract. eg with "Interview with the Vampire" I once got english subtitles (though inverted colors), but never again! I tried next day with the same parameters .. nothing. maybe this feature still is a little "beta".

* ElCondor pasa *

Last edited by ElCondor on Thu Jul 11, 2002 7:03 am; edited 1 time in total
ch0c0b0
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElCondor, just wanted to drop a note to say thanks for the help. I'm now able to use transcode (from cli , which is preferrable to me anyway) using your example as a guide. :)

Quick question: have you ran into problems with dvd::rip where transcode uses /dev/null as the output file? After my first rip, it just doesn't seem to use the designated directories. No help looking at .dvdriprc file either (I had thought the last file output directory used would be saved here).
ElCondor
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had no problems ripping any RegionCode 2 DVD - but could not read any other regioncode, not 1, not "all". but once I could read the TOC, ripping was fine. Here's a sample code for ripping:
Code:
tccat -t dvd -T 1,-1,1 -i /dev/dvd | splitpipe -f /data/dvdrip/FightClub/tmp/FightClub-001-nav.log 1024 /data/dvdrip/FightClub/vob/001/FightClub vob | tcextract -a 0 -x ac3 -t vob | tcdecode -x ac3 | tcscan -x pcm
hth

* ElCondor pasa *
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: