Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
HTML Code in Forum Posts
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would You use HTML in your posts if it could be enabled?
Yes
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
No
87%
 87%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 16

erik258
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: HTML Code in Forum Posts Reply with quote

I wish you got to use html once a respected poster. i think a lot of people would rather code in their own html (strict limitations would be applicable, maybe not even allowing for styles). Content such as images would still have to be served elsewhere (just as they do now) and the page visitor could always disable the function just as they can disable smilies or BBCode.

I have noticed the option below the emoticons area to the left of the posting textbox to turn on html, but it has clearly been disabled. I find it limiting to always need to use the bbcode however, and find its inability to, for example, color code within a code block, irritating. Of cours, it doesn't impede my ability to use the forums, but if it could be enabled on a per-user basis, I would think many of the experienced forum users could use it well.
Zepp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turning on html allows people to insert javascript and crap into their posts I believe. Also if you put html in a [code][/code] block it would still just show up as source code/text and wouldn't change anything inside the box.
Earthwings
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBCode actually *is* a stripped down version of html. Images are not an option, they even had to be disabled in signatures as it was too annoying. I don't quite see what you are missing - what could be achieved with html that cannot be achieved with bbcode? The only thing I read in your post is syntax highlighting of code blocks. This could be done with a mod (there are threads about it in this forum), doing it manually would be stupid anyway. If you want to use formatting in code tags, use quote tags as a workaround (yeah, i know about whitespaces).
erik258
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Turning on html allows people to insert javascript and crap into their posts I believe

have you ever used :oops: [blush] myspace ? They have an interesting mechanism to allow a limited amount of CSS styling of one's user page while still preserving the aspects of the page they wish unalterable.

Such a mechanism would be extremely important, of course. However, I would not be surprised if the phpBB code already allowed for such security mechansims as disabling <script> and other easily subverted tags. In fact, PHP supports html tag stripping 'natively'; i mean, there's a built-in function for it.

Quote:
Also if you put html in a
Code:
block it would still just show up as source code/text and wouldn't change anything inside the box.

I don't think that's necessarily true. The code block itself, written in phpBB, is going to haveto be converted to html to have the nice border and whatnot. Assumedly, phpBB does this for us, reading the 'bbcodes' and replacing them with marked up hypertext. Since html inside other html tags are fully interpreted by the browser, this isn't a problem at all.
Zepp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erik258 wrote:
Quote:
Turning on html allows people to insert javascript and crap into their posts I believe

have you ever used :oops: [blush] myspace ? They have an interesting mechanism to allow a limited amount of CSS styling of one's user page while still preserving the aspects of the page they wish unalterable.

Such a mechanism would be extremely important, of course. However, I would not be surprised if the phpBB code already allowed for such security mechansims as disabling <script> and other easily subverted tags. In fact, PHP supports html tag stripping 'natively'; i mean, there's a built-in function for it.

Quote:
Also if you put html in a
Code:
block it would still just show up as source code/text and wouldn't change anything inside the box.

I don't think that's necessarily true. The code block itself, written in phpBB, is going to haveto be converted to html to have the nice border and whatnot. Assumedly, phpBB does this for us, reading the 'bbcodes' and replacing them with marked up hypertext. Since html inside other html tags are fully interpreted by the browser, this isn't a problem at all.

You would have to alter the way phpBB parses code blocks so that it preserves the html otherwise it will convert and print the code literally like this

Code:
<b>Bold?</b>

And then say you do but what happens when I actually want to post html source code so someone can give me advice in the programming support forum for example.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBCode enables plenty of features. It's a text post, not a dynamic website.
amne
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

erik258 wrote:
Quote:

Search the internet for myspace and worm or myspace and XSS. ;)
Ateo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why would we need html for forum posts? Are we building a websites with our posts?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: