Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Prefixed Portage
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo for Mac OS X (Portage for Mac OS X)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tallest
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Prefixed Portage Reply with quote

All right, I've in the process of trying to install a prefixed portage in OS X on a MacBook Pro using the instructions found here (The wiki entry is outdated and does not work) and I thought I would start a thread where anyone could post questions and I can list some problems that I have run into and (hopefully) their solutions.

(1) The first problem I ran into was when I was emerging system, specifically I was emerging dev-python/python-fchksum-1.7.1 and I was running into a problem where it tried to install several packages outside of the prefix. I don't have the specific error (sorry) but it was something like "... is outside of prefix". I discovered that this was due to the ebuild trying to install python-fchksum using the wrong python, specifically:
Code:
# which python
/usr/bin/python
Apparently, when python was installed, no symlink was created from python->python2.4 so I
Code:
ln -s /Library/Gentoo/usr/bin/python2.4 /Library/Gentoo/usr/bin/python
and I also
Code:
python-config 2.4.2
so that (with a properly set up path, where the gentoo paths come before the mac os paths)
Code:
# which python
/Library/Gentoo/usr/bin/python

(2) I ran into another problem when compiling popt, but the solution provided in the above instructions (re-emerging all autoconf, automake, and libtool) did not work
Code:
>>> Emerging (1 of 20) dev-libs/popt-1.10.4-r1 to /
>>> checking ebuild checksums :-)
>>> checking auxfile checksums :-)
>>> checking miscfile checksums :-)
>>> checking popt-1.10.4.tar.gz checksums :-)
>>> Unpacking source...
>>> Unpacking popt-1.10.4.tar.gz to /Library/Gentoo/var/tmp/portage/popt-1.10.4-r1/work
* Applying popt-1.10.4-lib64.patch ...                                                                                      [ ok ]
* Running eautoreconf in '/Library/Gentoo/var/tmp/portage/popt-1.10.4-r1/work/popt-1.10.4' ...
* Running aclocal ...                                                                                                       [ ok ]
* Running glibtoolize --copy --force --automake ...                                                                         [ ok ]
* Running aclocal ...                                                                                                       [ ok ]
* Running autoconf ...                                                                                                      [ !! ]
* Failed Running autoconf !
*  * Include in your bugreport the contents of: *  *   /Library/Gentoo/var/tmp/portage/popt-1.10.4-r1/temp/autoconf-25819.out!!!
ERROR: dev-libs/popt-1.10.4-r1 failed.Call stack: 
, line :   
Called die!!!
Failed Running autoconf !!!!

If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.
I solved the problem by emerging popt-1.7-r1 instead of 1.10. This requires
Code:
# echo '>=dev-libs/popt-1.10' >> /Library/Gentoo/etc/portage/package.mask
# echo 'dev-libs/popt ~x86' >> /Library/Gentoo/etc/portage/package.keywords
# emerge -avt system

[EDIT] (2, cont.)
During the rebuild of the system (emerge -e system) I found that the unmasked popt-1.7-r1 was refusing to compile, so I removed the lines added to package.mask and package.keywords above, installed popt-1.10 and ran
Code:
# emerge --resume --skipfirst
to resume emerging system, skipping over the now unnecesary popt-1.7.
[/EDIT]

Hopefully this is helpful for anyone trying to get a prefixed portage in OS X. If anyone sees any mistakes in my post or has any better solutions to my problems, please correct me.

Thanks,
Aaron

Last edited by tallest on Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
tallest
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(3) I ran into more problems when I tried to emerge subversion. The error looks something like this:
Code:
aux_get(): (0) Error in dev-util/subversion-1.4.0 ebuild. (1)
               Check for syntax error or corruption in the ebuild. (--debug)

/Library/Gentoo/usr/lib/portage/bin/ebuild.sh: /Library/Gentoo/usr/portage/eclass/java-utils-2.eclass: line 1893: conditional binary operator expected
/Library/Gentoo/usr/lib/portage/bin/ebuild.sh: /Library/Gentoo/usr/portage/eclass/java-utils-2.eclass: line 1893: syntax error near `=~'
/Library/Gentoo/usr/lib/portage/bin/ebuild.sh: /Library/Gentoo/usr/portage/eclass/java-utils-2.eclass: line 1893: `     if [[ ${jar} =~ ${PV} ]]; then'

!!! ERROR: dev-util/subversion-1.3.2-r3 failed.
Call stack:
  , line :   Called die

!!! died sourcing /Library/Gentoo/usr/portage/eclass/java-utils-2.eclass in inherit()
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.
I solved the problem by editing /Library/Gentoo/usr/portage/eclass/java-utils-2.eclass and replacing the =~ by != on line 1893.

EDIT: I'm assuming here that the =~ was supposed to be a "not equal" but if I'm wrong, please correct me.
systm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, its taking a really long time to emerge portage the first time. I started it @ 8:30, its now 8:38, and its stil not finished.

How long did it take you tallest?
tallest
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it should take that long, I can recompile it in a minute or so. Is portage the only thing you're emerging or did it have dependencies? Is it progressing through those dependencies? Did you set any use flags before emerging portage?
systm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm following exactly what it says to do in the "www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/prefix/bootstrap.xml" page, yet it just sits there

idk whats up with it, what version of OSX are you on?

im X.4.8 (10.4.8)
tallest
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on 10.4.7 because 10.4.8 breaks matlab's X support. But I don't think that should make a difference here. Is it still going? What is it doing? What kind of output are you seeing? I really can't help without something more than "it just sits there".
systm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its probably linked to 10.4.8, cause If it worked on 10.4.7, then its probably that, or that i have fink installed >.<

I'll post an out put a little bit later
tallest
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What makes you think that it's 10.4.8? What exactly is going wrong? What is being emerged? Is there an error?
systm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what its doing...
Calculating dependencies ... done!

>>> Emerging (1 of 1) sys-apps/portage-2.1.20.4755 to /
* prefix-portage-2.1.20.4755.tar.bz2 MD5 ;-) ... [ ok ]
* prefix-portage-2.1.20.4755.tar.bz2 RMD160 ;-) ... [ ok ]
* prefix-portage-2.1.20.4755.tar.bz2 SHA1 ;-) ... [ ok ]
* prefix-portage-2.1.20.4755.tar.bz2 SHA256 ;-) ... [ ok ]
* prefix-portage-2.1.20.4755.tar.bz2 size ;-) ... [ ok ]
* checking ebuild checksums ;-) ... [ ok ]
* checking auxfile checksums ;-) ... [ ok ]
* checking miscfile checksums ;-) ... [ ok ]
* checking prefix-portage-2.1.20.4755.tar.bz2 ;-) ... [ ok ]
>>> Unpacking source...
>>> Unpacking prefix-portage-2.1.20.4755.tar.bz2 to /Library/Gentoo/var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/portage-2.1.20.4755/work
Adjusting to prefix ...
5portage.envd ...

not really sure whats going on, I started it @ 10:21pm, went to sleep, woke up for work and it was sitting there @ 3:50am, with procs going at 80/80 (this is my macbook)

When I get a chance, I'll try it on my Mac Athlon64 to see if I can get any other answers.
tallest
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, it's been a couple of weeks and I thought I'd update my progress.

At some point, I broke my prefix and ended up deleting the whole thing and starting from scratch. This didn't fix the problem (I can't remember exactly what wasn't working, but I think it was ar). Anyway, I waited a week or so before I checked back at the portage-prefix documentation, lo and behold it has been updated and the new instructions seem to be much more stable than the old ones.

I still ran into one or two problems:

(1*) [etc-update] Everything went well through the svn checkout of the portage tree. I tried doing an etc-update at that point only to find that etc-update was not in my path. I fixed this by adding /Library/Gentoo/usr/lib/portage/bin to the end of my path. Once this was fixed, I was still running into problems with etc-update:
Code:
wilson@motku ~ $ etc-update
Exiting: Need write access to //etc
So etc-update didn't realize that it needed to use the prefix. After looking at the etc-update script, I fixed the problem by adding a line to /Library/Gentoo/etc/env.d/05portage.envd:
Code:
 $ echo 'PYTHONPATH="/Library/Gentoo/usr/lib/portage/pym"' >> /Library/Gentoo/etc/env.d/05portage.envd
Follow this up with a
Code:
$ env-update
$ source /Library/Gentoo/etc/profile
and the problem should be fixed. Unfortunately, this requires you to source /Library/Gentoo/etc/profile each time you log in. I made this unnecessary by renaming /etc/profile and creating a symlink to /Library/Gentoo/etc/profile to replace it (I then copied some of the OS X specific stuff from the old /etc/profile into /Library/Gentoo/etc/profile). This is probably a bad idea, and a better solution is needed. I suppose you could just put "source /Library/Gentoo/etc/profile" at the end of Apple's /etc/proifle instead, but unfortunately Gentoo's profile script will overwrite any changes to PATH in Apple's /etc/profile.

(2*) This one is less of a problem and hopefully more of a solution to some difficulty with prefixed portage. After reading the rest of the prefixed portage documentation here (silly me for not RTFM) I found that there is a nice script in /Library/Gentoo/usr/portage/scripts called eapify that modifies ebuilds so that they work with prefixed portage. This is an example showing how I'm trying to add gcc-4.2 to portage:
Code:
$ mkdir -p /Library/Gentoo/usr/local/portage/sys-devel
$ cd /Library/Gentoo/usr/local/portage/sys-devel
--(If you haven't already added an overlay in make.conf)--
$ echo 'PORTDIR_OVERLAY=/Library/Gentoo/usr/local/portage' >> /Library/Gentoo/etc/make.conf
--(The next line fetches all the ebuilds, patches, etc. from my Gentoo box)--
$ scp -r 192.168.0.7:/usr/portage/sys-devel/gcc ./
$ cd gcc
--(now I'll remove any ebuilds I don't want)--
$ rm gcc-2* gcc-3* gcc-4.0* gcc-4.1*
--(now I'll use eapify to modify the remaining ebuild)--
$ /Library/Gentoo/usr/portage/scripts/eapify gcc-4.2.0_alpha20061031.ebuild
Processing gcc-4.2.0_alpha20061031.ebuild
  EAPI ... added EAPI="prefix"
  replacing ${EDEST} -> ${D} ... not found
  replacing ${PROOT} -> ${EROOT} ... not found
  replacing ${D} -> ${ED} ... not found
  replacing ${ROOT} -> ${EROOT} ... not found
--(update the digest)--
$ ebuild gcc-4.2.0_alpha20061031.ebuild digest
>>> Creating Manifest for /Library/Gentoo/usr/local/portage/sys-devel/gcc
  digest.assumed                 1
   digest-gcc-4.2.0_alpha20061031::gcc-4.2-20061031.tar.bz2
--(unmask some packages)--
$ echo 'sys-devel/gcc' >> /Library/Gentoo/etc/portage/package.unmask
$ echo 'dev-libs/mpfr ~x86' >> /Library/Gentoo/etc/portage/package.keywords
$ echo 'dev-libs/gmp ~x86' >> /Library/Gentoo/etc/portage/package.keywords
$ echo 'sys-devel/binutils-config ~x86' >> /Library/Gentoo/etc/portage/package.keywords
$ echo 'sys-devel/binutils ~x86' >> /Library/Gentoo/etc/portage/package.keywords
$ echo 'sys-devel/gcc -*' >> /Library/Gentoo/etc/portage/package.keywords
--(emerge (hopefully))--
$ emerge -avt sys-devel/gcc

These are the packages that would be merged, in reverse order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild  N    ] sys-devel/gcc-4.2.0_alpha20061031  USE="fortran nls objc objc++ objc-gc -altivec -bootstrap -build -doc -gcj -gtk (-hardened) -ip28 -ip32r10k -mudflap -multilib -multislot -n32 -n64 -nocxx -test -vanilla" 39,709 kB [1]
[ebuild  N    ]  dev-libs/mpfr-2.2.0_p16  738 kB
[ebuild  N    ]   dev-libs/gmp-4.2.1  USE="-doc -nocxx" 1,685 kB
[ebuild  N    ]  sys-devel/binutils-2.16.1-r3  USE="nls -multislot -multitarget -test -vanilla" 12,367 kB
[ebuild  N    ]   sys-devel/binutils-config-1.9-r1  0 kB

Total size of downloads: 54,501 kB
Portage overlays:
 [1] /Library/Gentoo/usr/local/portage

Would you like to merge these packages? [Yes/No]

tallest
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's starting to seem like I'm just talking to myself here, but I thought I would report that I successfully compiled gcc-4.2_alpha20061031 using prefixed portage. (gmp required me to put CHOST=none-apple-darwin in make.conf instead of CHOST=i686-apple-darwin8 due to a problem with Apple's assembly syntax)

Overall, I am very pleased with prefixed portage and it seems to be a decent replacement for darwinports or fink (if you can get all the packages you want to compile) but it's definitely not for the faint of heart and I would imagine that you're going to run into one or two problems following the prefixed-portage documentation. That's why I created this thread and I hope I can encourage more people to try it out.

NOTE: If you are going to try it out, I'd recommend doing everything as your normal user, and not as root (unless you have security reasons for needing the Gentoo prefix to be owned by root), this should make it impossible for you to screw up your OS X install. If anything goes wrong, just >rm -rf /Library/Gentoo and everything should be back to normal. On this note, I'd also recommend trying to change as little as possible in any of OS X's personal files (i.e. in /etc/) as it can be kind of picky about this stuff and it will probably get overwritten sooner or later.
icyrus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting your experiences. I installed portage today on my macbook pro and I am having a few issues.

Trying to emerge vim results in the following:

Calculating dependencies
!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "vim" have been masked.
!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your request:
- app-editors/vim-7.0.17 (masked by: missing keyword)
- app-editors/vim-6.4 (masked by: missing keyword)
- app-editors/vim-7.0.146 (masked by: missing keyword)

Which is caused by the ebuilds have x86 or ~x86 as their keywords.

The standard keywords in my make.conf are ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86-macos x86-macos"

I was wondering what you have in your make.conf? Do you just put x86 and ~x86 at the end of your ACCEPT_KEYWORDS or is there good reason not to do this?

Thanks for the help.

Edit: I'm starting to think that prefixed portage is not worth the effort at the moment if packages like apache aren't even in the tree.
tallest
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general I think it's better to put
Code:
app-editors/vim ~x86
into /Library/Gentoo/etc/portage/package.keywords instead, that way you unmask things in the x86 or ~x86 branches one at a time and if there is a ~x86-macos version of the package, it is used first.

[edit]you will probably need to add other packages (app-editors/vim-core, etc.) into package.keywords as well.

As far as packages outside of the current tree go, it's not that hard to put them into the tree (see my example for gcc-4.2), but some of them require a bit of fiddling (i.e getting the proper etc files into Mac OS X's /etc, I usually back up the old mac etc files then soft link to the ones in /Library/Gentoo/etc/ but this will doubtlessly cause problems eventually if I'm not careful). To get bash-completion working I had to edit quite a few of the config files in /Library/Gentoo/etc so that they used the proper prefix (I'm sure that this could be done in the ebuild using sed or something, and I probably should do this and try to get it submitted to the tree)[/edit]
grobian
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHY WHY WHY don't you guys don't contact me! Weeeeeee!

That GCC 4.2 compiles is GREAT. REALLY GREAT! And I can easily update the documentation! I need the feedback!

(ultimate frustration that I just find out now more people are trying it out)

You probably aren't mailing lists persons, but I strongly encourage you to subscribe to gentoo-alt@lists.gentoo.org as all "prefix" related discussions take place there, with messages posted about special OSX support and stuff.

You are not alone, others are using it on their Macs too (like me), and I can use all the feedback I can get!

I hope you didn't give up on it yet.
tallest
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, thank you very much. I've just finished subscribing to the mailing list and I'll start posting my problems and solutions there.

Thanks,
Aaron
grobian
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I just uploaded a new portage snapshot, to be available soon.
systm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what do I use to read the mailing list, not mail.app right?
grobian
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can read the history online, e.g. here:
http://news.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.alt

And you can subscribe yourself to the list (also with Mail.app) by following the directions for the gentoo-alt mailing list found here:
http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/lists.xml
systm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the awesomely quick reply man
systm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I've started the Install of prefix agian, but it seems that my shit is messed again, now I'm down to emerge -e system, but its telling me that there
emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy ">=sys-devel/libperl-5.8.8-r1".

So, im not sure what to do now, but wait for a response :(
grobian
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

feel like you don't have an up-to-date tree and/or bootstrap script. Are you sure you started from scratch (clean directory) and with the latest (fresh download) bootstrap script?
systm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that it was the freshest scrip, but IDK if it was clean DIR,
going to go redo now :)
darkn0th
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I gave the prefixed portage a spin on my hackintosh (10.4.8 with a 10.4.4 kernel) and it appears to be broken, with perl detection no longer working which prevents wget and portage from being bootstrapped:

for wget :

Code:
gcc -O2 -pipe  -o wget  cmpt.o connect.o convert.o cookies.o ftp.o ftp-basic.o ftp-ls.o ftp-opie.o  hash.o host.o html-parse.o html-url.o http.o http-ntlm.o init.o log.o main.o gen-md5.o netrc.o progress.o ptimer.o recur.o res.o retr.o safe-ctype.o snprintf.o openssl.o url.o utils.o version.o xmalloc.o  -ldl  -lssl -lcrypto
cd doc && make CC='gcc' CPPFLAGS='' DEFS='-DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DSYSTEM_WGETRC=\"/Library/Gentoo/tmp/etc/wgetrc\" -DLOCALEDIR=\"/Library/Gentoo/tmp/usr/share/locale\"' CFLAGS='-O2 -pipe' LDFLAGS='' LIBS='-ldl  -lssl -lcrypto' prefix='/Library/Gentoo/tmp/usr' exec_prefix='/Library/Gentoo/tmp/usr' bindir='/Library/Gentoo/tmp/usr/bin' infodir='/Library/Gentoo/tmp/usr/share/info' mandir='/Library/Gentoo/tmp/usr/share/man' manext='1'
sed 's,^#! /usr/bin/perl,#! /usr/bin/perl,' texi2pod.pl.in > texi2pod.pl
chmod u+x texi2pod.pl
./texi2pod.pl ./wget.texi wget.pod
Option VERSION not defined
/usr/bin/pod2man --center="GNU Wget" --release="GNU Wget 1.10.2" wget.pod > wget.1
Bareword "gensym" not allowed while "strict subs" in use at /System/Library/Perl/5.8.6/Pod/Parser.pm line 1158.
Bareword "gensym" not allowed while "strict subs" in use at /System/Library/Perl/5.8.6/Pod/Parser.pm line 1158.
Compilation failed in require at /System/Library/Perl/5.8.6/Pod/Man.pm line 30.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /System/Library/Perl/5.8.6/Pod/Man.pm line 30.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/bin/pod2man line 16.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/bin/pod2man line 16.
make[1]: *** [wget.1] Error 255
make: *** [doc] Error 2

and for portage:

Code:
checking for python... /usr/bin/python
checking /usr/bin/python version >= 2.3.1... no
checking for python2.4... (cached) /usr/bin/python
checking /usr/bin/python version >= 2.3.1... no
configure: error: cannot find python version >= 2.3.1

my perl version is up to date though:

Code:
perl -v

This is perl, v5.8.6 built for darwin-thread-multi-2level
(with 3 registered patches, see perl -V for more detail)

So I'm a bit stumped. This is my 10th attempt in a month to get portage working and it keeps going downhill (used to block on emerge -e system). I see the documentation is evolving so I hope there's a way to eventually get this working. I'm not too interested in fink and others.
Valkura
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know perl or python very well, but last I checked... perl != python, and I doubt they are the same package. :)
darkn0th
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

true, and this error doesn't appear to be my original one. I didn't post after redoing the whole lot, nor did I read it all over. So where's a fresh attempt :

I did the full tree, wget (failed, sed, python, portage procedure and portage *does* bork on perl:

Code:

checking for python... /Library/Gentoo/tmp/usr/bin/python
checking /Library/Gentoo/tmp/usr/bin/python version >= 2.3.1... ok
checking for perl... /usr/bin/perl
checking for perl version greater than or equal to 5.6.0... no
checking for perl5.8.6... (cached) /usr/bin/perl
checking for perl version greater than or equal to 5.6.0... no
configure: error: cannot find a perl version >= 5.6.0

so it is a perl version detection thing if you go the whole way. Sorry for the previous stuff :evil:
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo for Mac OS X (Portage for Mac OS X) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: