0%  [ 0 ]
Windows/Mac
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 83

rambam
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Are you going to switch from Gentoo ? Reply with quote

Are you planning to switch from Gentoo ?
Do you plan to go to:

Stay with Gentoo
Ubuntu/Kbuntu
Suse
Debian
Slackware
Mandrake(Mandriva)
Red Hat/Fedora/Centos
Xandros
BSD/Minix
Windows/Mac
Phenax
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm staying with Gentoo, no reason to switch. The only thing out of that whole list that I actually like is BSD, in which, doesn't have good support for the type of hardware I invest in.
numerodix
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, no.
didumos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No reason for me to switch either, I'm a very happy Gentoo user. Plus, no other distro that I've tried over the years comes close to Gentoo in terms of flexibility, stability, and package management.

The only other distro I'd quite like to try at the moment is the new Fedora release... but I don't have enough blank discs :lol:
marcion
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Are you going to switch from Gentoo ? Reply with quote

rambam wrote:
Do you plan to go to:

Any reason why you bring this up? I know Ubuntu have good marketing but downgrading from portage to apt-get? Mac OS 7 anyone?
rokstar83
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Are you going to switch from Gentoo ? Reply with quote

marcion wrote:
rambam wrote:
Do you plan to go to:

Any reason why you bring this up? I know Ubuntu have good marketing but downgrading from portage to apt-get? Mac OS 7 anyone?

Maybe their trying to funnel all of the "i'm leaving gentoo" threads into one place creating a blackhole that gradually pulls in other sub forums and eventually the internet at large.
Err... I think i've had too much coffee today.
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about the option: undecided

I've been contemplating leaving Gentoo and it has absolutely nothing to do with Gentoo itself, but with the forums.

(Its been suggested I take a break from the forums, but its like a drug and I enjoy helping others. The current climate has made it much less enjoyable.)
Chaosite
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Headrush wrote:
How about the option: undecided

I've been contemplating leaving Gentoo and it has absolutely nothing to do with Gentoo itself, but with the forums.

(Its been suggested I take a break from the forums, but its like a drug and I enjoy helping others. The current climate has made it much less enjoyable.)

You do know that there are some people here that are not actually using Gentoo, and still help people, right?

Its not that easy to quit the (coke?)habit...

BTW, by "recent climate", what do you refer to? The constant "Gentoo sucks" threads? XMMS and Gnome1 getting masked? Something else?
IdefiX666
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll never quit Gentoo :)
fangorn
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about "Me: I would never switch to something else. Company: Debian"

I will switch to Debian with our production systems as soon as multiarch hits Debian stable (which means probably never :twisted: ). We need to use 32bit applications in 64bit environment. And excuse me, but a chrooted environment is something for private use by geeks, but not an option for production systems.

That is why I went for Gentoo there. But as I cannot boot these boxen every now and then (anything under 6 months uptime is considered highly unstable here :wink: ), any update at this machines would now take twice as long as a fresh install :roll:
geniux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm staying with Gentoo, nothing feels more like home to me :)
400GB + 250GB Samsung SATAII HDD
Gentoo - BeyondSources 2.6.19-20
bdm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't this thread almost too similar to https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-513343.html ?

But no, I won't be switching.
geniux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bdm wrote:
Isn't this thread almost too similar to https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-513343.html ?

But no, I won't be switching.

I guess this poll was created from that thread to get a more detailed view on what we Gentoo users would switch to, if we ever feel like doing so
400GB + 250GB Samsung SATAII HDD
Gentoo - BeyondSources 2.6.19-20
Brainfart
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo's been great so far, and I've not yet found a reason why any other distro is particuarly better (short of install times, but I don't really care about that as much).

Just installed FC6 on my desktop to try it out, and then remembered that some distro's are allergic to .mp3 files when you install... :x
dev-urandom
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the need of the hour is an easier to use gentoo-style distro. Maybe one of the forks off gentoo can take it up to give well maintained binary packages and make it the default option in portage to use their binary packages. That one would bog down all the reservations against gentoo that seem to come up these days.

Don't take me wrong - I am all for a source based distro and thats the main reason why gentoo has been my primary desktop for more than 2 years. This approach would be a best way to

1) reign in fanboys.
2) Address the drawbacks of gentoo that most people point out.

All in all, it seems a shame that the next gen package manager is not available for average Joe in a way that he likes.
Phenax
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say, let Gentoo to appeal to the people that it fits. Why should Gentoo have to change to appeal to people? We've got quite a large user-base, and it doesn't particularly need to grow at a rate larger than it is now.
dev-urandom
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phenax wrote:
I say, let Gentoo to appeal to the people that it fits. Why should Gentoo have to change to appeal to people? We've got quite a large user-base, and it doesn't particularly need to grow at a rate larger than it is now.

We have a significantly large user base, but look at the ubunutu-debian relationship. It has grown into one that has benifitted both the players. Debian gets to win by

1) Getting a larger userbase that uses more or less the same software
2) More appreciation, more packages and more documentation and everything that comes from the Ubuntu crowd.
3) They get to see whatever happens in the Ubuntu side of things, and they can add in back whatever they see promising from that camp.

Ubuntu too gains - its grown in the #1 distro from now where, and has a very active community.

Don't you think something like this can work for gentoo?
wah
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dev-urandom wrote:

What, flooding the forums with people that constantly say, "<whine> But it used to work in windows..."?

I see your point, but I had to take a shot at the userbase you refer to - they like to think because Ubuntu is "Linux for Human Beings" that it works EXACTLY like Windows.

Anything that give publicity to gentoo is great in my book, but wouldn't going binary or even offering an official binary distro retreat from what Gentoo stands for?

dev-urandom wrote:
1) reign in fanboys.

I'm curious about this statement.
- Registered Linux User #418541
Phenax
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Yes, and that is allowing projects like Sabayon to continue development. Debian doesn't modify it's philosophy for it's users.
dev-urandom
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wahman143 wrote:
dev-urandom wrote:

What, flooding the forums with people that constantly say, "<whine> But it used to work in windows..."?

I see your point, but I had to take a shot at the userbase you refer to - they like to think because Ubuntu is "Linux for Human Beings" that it works EXACTLY like Windows.

Anything that give publicity to gentoo is great in my book, but wouldn't going binary or even offering an official binary distro retreat from what Gentoo stands for?

Who's asking for an official fork? :) There are, the last time I checked, around 10 gentoo derivates. Having a different team manage it, with their own release cycles would actually work better, like the way that Ubuntu is progressing now.

Discliamer: I am not looking to start anything like it, but with all the ubuntu craze that's been going on, I would appreciate it if someone who has the energy do something like this.

dev-urandom wrote:
1) reign in fanboys.

I'm curious about this statement.[/quote]

This may be something that freaks just me out. How many times have you seen posts like - "I recompiled with <insert-exotic-cflag>, it gave a zillion times improvement". That kind of attitude actually does more harm for gentoo in the long run because I've seen average users being guided by it, and subjecting themselves to a lot of misery by recompiling their packages with experimental flags. From my take at it, these type of folks need a simpler distro that they can play with. No offense intended, but the fanboys are generally the type that migrates to a easier to use distro, especially if you tell them that what they are going to install is *the* next gen distro.
dev-urandom
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phenax wrote:
Quote:

Yes, and that is allowing projects like Sabayon to continue development. Debian doesn't modify it's philosophy for it's users.

I agree. I for one, quit Debian after being fedup with potato's quirks and went on to RH 7.2, which btw was the last fantastic redhat distro. Debian is in ways a lot like IBM - they had it all at one point in time, but then decided to throw it all away by stopping to listen to their users.
wah
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dev-urandom wrote:
Who's asking for an official fork? :) There are, the last time I checked, around 10 gentoo derivates. Having a different team manage it, with their own release cycles would actually work better, like the way that Ubuntu is progressing now.

I apologize - I misunderstood your statement :oops: - that could work, given the right team and directives.

dev-urandom wrote:
This may be something that freaks just me out. How many times have you seen posts like - "I recompiled with <insert-exotic-cflag>, it gave a zillion times improvement". That kind of attitude actually does more harm for gentoo in the long run because I've seen average users being guided by it, and subjecting themselves to a lot of misery by recompiling their packages with experimental flags. From my take at it, these type of folks need a simpler distro that they can play with. No offense intended, but the fanboys are generally the type that migrates to a easier to use distro, especially if you tell them that what they are going to install is *the* next gen distro.

Noted, understood, and agreed upon. I can't tell you how many times I took such comments as "gospel" only to inflict hosure on my system (my fault, not gentoo's). I know better now, after many re-compiles :lol:

Cheers,
W.
- Registered Linux User #418541
dev-urandom
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="wahman143"]
dev-urandom wrote:

I apologize - I misunderstood your statement :oops: - that could work, given the right team and directives.

No worries. Sorry if I sounded rude, I never meant to be ;)
onlinepancakes
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are there so many threads like this.... Getting annoying..
Earthwings
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Gentoo Chat to Duplicate Threads in favour of What distribution will *YOU* switch to?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: