Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
What distribution will *YOU* switch to?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
morfic
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:09 am    Post subject: What distribution will *YOU* switch to? Reply with quote

If you think about switching distros, i would like to hear WHY you consider switching, and WHICH distro you favor as your next distribution.
I am just wondering where gentoo seems most broken, for a broader range of peope, not just the people i saw switch away from gentoo.

Thanks in advance for your replies,

Daniel
Shadow Skill
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would probably move to freebsd where there is much better binary support than there is with Gentoo. Sometimes you just want to install something quickly hearing people whine that Gentoo is about installing from source and the sheer idiocy that you would need to create a bazillion binaries for every possible configuration (which no binary distro or Fbsd do.) doesn't address the simple fact that doing so in some cases is just an exercise in overkill especially on Laptops and older machines, not to mention waste of time if you find yourself needing to install an app to get something done when time is a factor.

"First there was nothing, so the lord gave us light. There was still nothing, but at least you could see it."
erik258
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is an interesting point. i know how little of a percentage these optimizations actually make. but it is kind of a cool idea to have relatively uinque binaries.

I for one would like it if the portage system's storage were overhauled. I read some about sqashfs storage possibilites; and am no expert by any means, but certainly do wonder whether i need, especailly on older machines, to wait 20 minutes for the portage tree to sync, and many minutes even to transder the many directories full of files around on hard drives. It really is rediculous how long it takes to extract even a snapshot. I wish there were an alternative and that migrating to it was made as easy as .. as the migration to 2005.1 to 2006.0, or devfs to udev (as long as you know it's happening) or 2.4 to 2.6, which i thought went miraculously well.
Shadow Skill
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it'd be interesting to see if Portage's tree could be made to use xml and fetch ebuilds on demand that way you have one file to sync up and you may even be able to eliminate the need for overlay functionality all together who knows.

"First there was nothing, so the lord gave us light. There was still nothing, but at least you could see it."
playfool
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already switched to Fedora but if I was to leave Fedora I think I'd go for Foresight Linux.
erik258
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no offense, but i thought fedora sucked. it was so slow. I found it difficult to configure things the fedora people hadn't thought of, or at least i couldn't do it the gentoo way on the side when i couldnt' find the right module.

what do you like about it?
PaulBredbury
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried PC-BSD, as an installer for FreeBSD. Plugging in my Razer Copperhead mouse made the BSD kernel "consistently" panic (i.e. reboot) immediately, which was extremely unimpressive. I was expecting an "unrecognized device" warning. 8O
playfool
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

erik258 wrote:
no offense, but i thought fedora sucked. it was so slow. I found it difficult to configure things the fedora people hadn't thought of, or at least i couldn't do it the gentoo way on the side when i couldnt' find the right module.

what do you like about it?

It's secure, stable and performs really well.. plus it's well configured and pretty. Maximal offense taken :)
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still fine with Gentoo on my pair of rather powerful Opterons in the office.
It is also OK on an older machine I have to manage (Athlon XP1800+), although gcc upgrade took almost 2 days there.
On that machine Gentoo replaced some early FedoraCore.

On the other hand I have a laptop (5 year old but still snazy) which got stuck somewhere between RH9 and FedoraCore2.
Still on 2.4.x kernel. But it has all the hardware working (not alway trivial for a laptop) and I don't touch it.
But that old Firefox (1.0.x) start failing on some modern websites.

I also have old venerable desktop, 8 years with 1.5 year uptime stretches, which just had its (7 year old) hardddrive died.
That carried some upgraded RH7.2-7.3 - perhaps the best RH ever :) Amazing, this 266Mhz machine run Gnome 1.0 in full glory
and beauty (still long for Gnome 1 icons :) ). But it has a second drive and I'm thinking about resurrection !

So for a laptop and this old box I have started looking at VectorLinux or perhaps xUbuntu
rambam
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: What distribution will *YOU* switch to? Reply with quote

morfic wrote:
If you think about switching distros, i would like to hear WHY you consider switching, and WHICH distro you favor as your next distribution. I am just wondering where gentoo seems most broken, for a broader range of peope, not just the people i saw switch away from gentoo.

Daniel

I am unhappy with the increasing bugginess of ebuilds.
I also am irritated by the way xmms was removed, leaving a large number of already compiled in dependencies in my other binaries.

Gentoo seems to be increasingly a flaky, hobbyist distribution. That was fine for me, when I was still a hobbyist, but these days, I use my linux boxes to do things that earn me money. The downtime I experience from yet another unanticipated set of sideeffects from a poorly publicised Gentoo change, has finally convinced me that it is time to move on.

I intend to move to Ubuntu for my personal workstation when I have the time. They seem to be professionally organised. I am considering the Oracle Linux distribution for work.

I guess this is what happens when the principal developer abandons his creation....bit rot and a slow relegation to the dustbin of history :(
runningwithscissors
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: What distribution will *YOU* switch to? Reply with quote

rambam wrote:
....bit rot and a slow relegation to the dustbin of history :(

Not really, no. A single unhappy user does not relegate a project to the dustbin of history.
Earthwings
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already switched to Kubuntu some months ago and don't really see an alternative to it currently. Gentoo at that moment didn't suit me anymore because constantly compiling things takes too long and Portage was slow, not even usable slow. Some Portage related utilities were removed as well and replaced by nothing or a slow Python based application. Altogether having an uptodate package status just took too much time and manual work.
runningwithscissors
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently, I do not have a problem with Gentoo. The quirks that I sometimes encounter during updates haven't been too serious or unfixable.
And I am not naive enough to believe that any other distro completely eliminates all such inconveniences.

I do understand that binary distributions are fast and suitable for most tasks, and I'd probably use Debian if I decided to use one, but Gentoo is decent. Does what I expect and I learn a little bit along the way.
Sachankara
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo may have quite a few problems, but that's nothing compared to other distributions. Also, once you get hooked on the amount of packages available in portage, there's few people who will honestly change permanently to other distributions.
krolden
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I'm perfectly happy with Gentoo ATM, the "distro" I'd be switching to would probably be FreeBSD. It feels like a stable OS that offers both binary as source installs. Plus it has a nice community as well.
PaulBredbury
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krolden wrote:
FreeBSD. It feels like a stable OS

Not when inserting a mildly-fancy mouse into a USB port causes an immediate kernel panic :)
HS
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to switch. But there is thing that can make me to switch - it is removing of packages, that I use, from portage tree. I've already switched from RedHad (7.x) because of this reason. They started to removing packages from distro and I had to maintain them "by hand". It was just too much work so I switched to Gentoo.

Gentoo already have one similar example - xmms removing. It is very unpleasant step but as I wrote I'm still happy with Gentoo and far from switching.

If I switch, it would be probably Debian.
Phenax
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulBredbury wrote:
Krolden wrote:
FreeBSD. It feels like a stable OS

Not when inserting a mildly-fancy mouse into a USB port causes an immediate kernel panic :)

As a note - I've ran FreeBSD for about a year on one of my boxes and my Razor Diamondback worked perfectly on it.
CreepingDeath
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly since I started using Gentoo, I've been constantly trying the latest releases of Fedora Core, SuSe, and kubuntu; so far I haven't found that I liked any of them better then my tried and true Gentoo installs. I'll admit sometimes I've been frustrated with the headaches that come with portage, the latest being the rather abrupt removal of XMMS, but overall Gentoo speaks to the control freak within. I like the idea that there isn't anything installed that I didn't put there, there is no one else making the decision of when to goto, say GCC 4.1, or Xorg 7.1, or anything else for that matter.

Right now I'm using Kubuntu Edgy on my laptop, but I'm probably going to switch back to Gentoo there too since I don't really feel like I gained anything making the switch. Hell I still haven't found the SMP kernel there yet, still using the -386 version because thats all I see in Adept.

If tomorrow Gentoo was gone and I had to make a move though, it would likely be to Kubuntu or perhaps I'd give Slack another go. Its been many years since I tried it out (basically since I found Gentoo). I like SuSe too, but it feels kinda slow.. could just be perception or the fact that 10.0 wasn't really that great. (and 10.1 was worse); maybe 10.2 will be better.
morfic
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CreepingDeath wrote:

Right now I'm using Kubuntu Edgy on my laptop, but I'm probably going to switch back to Gentoo there too since I don't really feel like I gained anything making the switch. Hell I still haven't found the SMP kernel there yet, still using the -386 version because thats all I see in Adept.

The generic kernel does SMP. :

Linux demogorgon 2.6.17-10-generic #2 SMP Fri Oct 13 18:45:35 UTC 2006 i686 GNU/Linux
pbardet
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you asked the question.

I'm currently considering Ubuntu since I'm tired of handling the "block of the day".
Ubuntu seems to be very popular and I expect support will be up to the standards I expect from a Linux distro, unlike the current gentoo.
First xmms was removed without notification, except a message a week later without an apology in the weekly newsletter.
Second, Xorg has changed flags 2 days in a row, necessiting a big recompile both times.
Now, I have to handle a different problem everyday. First, Fox (no idea what this was doing on my system) was blocking some other packages. Today, it's callgrind blocking valgrind... Yesterday, I got invalid digest while trying to upgrade openssh. Still haven't tried to recompile today, since I have to handle callgrind

Most of the good software is masked, therefore, there is a need to handle a lot of masked dependancies that at some point will break the "stable" environment. This creates a lot of mess that I hope will be removed by switching to a stable release every 6 months. The gentoo model was very promising, but it doesn't work when you want to use Linux for productive stuff since you spend more time fixing craps than using it.
PaulBredbury
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pbardet wrote:
but it doesn't work when you want to use Linux for productive stuff

You're not supposed to update a productive Gentoo installation daily - do it e.g. fortnightly. Or, even better, do it when there's a need (e.g. security exploit needing an upgrade).
olger901
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not planning on switching, gentoo runs fine on my notebook and I do not have any complaints at all. (Expect for the fact that stage1 support was removed...as it did help IMHO)
brucebertrand
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used Arch Linux a bit and it seems pretty good, though the community isn't as active as Gentoo's.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably in this order: OpenSuSe, FC, Debian, *BSD. I've already tried Ubuntu and didn't care for it.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 1 of 36

Jump to: