login issue on Octane/n32
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hanc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: login issue on Octane/n32 Reply with quote

Hello!

I've got troubles loging in as a normal user on my Octane machine. I always got a message telling that I'm not granted permission to cd or execute. I can see in the syslog that authentication was successfull but than cd to my home dir failed. I've checked permissions of the /home dir and subdirs and all files in the /bin and /lib and it is OK (-rwxr-xr-x). I can login as root without any problem.

su behaves similar to login, i.e.
Code:
su testuser
tells /bin/bash: Permission denied and for example
Code:
su -s /bin/ls testuser
does the same: /bin/ls: Permission denied.

The issue started when I installed the recent Gentoo/Linux on my SGI Octane system using the n32 userland. All the system and many apps (vim, mc, links, gdb, even xorg and openmotif) compiled cleanly. The console apps work well on the root account. I don't have such issue when running Gentoo from my second disk in o32 userland. I'm using the same setup (/etc/login.defs, /etc/login.access, /etc/pam.d/*, /etc/ssh/*, /etc/inittab, /etc/passwd, /etc/group) on both userlands.

To summerize, my system is:
SGI Octane/R10000 IP30
Kernel 2.6.17.13
gcc 4.1.1
glibc 2.4
o32 userland works well.
I can't login/su/ssh as a normal user in n32 userland (authentication OK then it kiks me off).
n32 userland OK on root account.

Please, could anybody help.
hanc
Kumba
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truth be told, n32 isn't ready for standard user consumption just yet. Installing an n32 userland typically means you understand it to be experimental and possibly broke. I only make the stages to keep things updated as well as for those willing to help us shape it up (which it does work well for the most part).

The one thing I would double check, is whether you have a /lib32 directory symlinked to /lib. That's usually what causes failures like this, as n32 glibc expects stuff to be in /lib32 as opposed to /lib. We just "trick" it into using /lib. In a true multilib system, where you would have a mix of n32 and o32 (and possibly n64) material, o32 would store its stuff in /lib, n32 in /lib32, and n64 in /lib64. But that milestone is a far way away, hence the single ABI setups we put out.

If checking and possibly fixing that symlink doesn't help, try running 'ldd' on the offending binary to see what libs its looking for, and make sure they not only exist, but have all their symlinks pointing in the right direction. If all of the above fails to work, then the only thing I can suggest would be to switch back to o32.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: