Ghetto rigging surround?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fryguy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 4:30 am    Post subject: Ghetto rigging surround? Reply with quote

I've got my front 2 speakers hooked up right now (to a home theater receiver so I can use some decent bookshelves, but that's besides the point). Can I just plug in some random speakers to the rear output and have 4 channel surround sound? Or does everything need to be kitted?
metalac
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from what I know you should have everything go into one box and then have the speakers hooked to that box, be it a reciever of some sort or a subwoofer with a builtin reciever or something. It's needed so that appropriate sounds could be routed to the appropriate speakers.
theJPster
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 1:55 pm    Post subject: 4-channel soundcard? Reply with quote

If you have a four-channel sound card you just need to plug in another pair of stereo speakers to the rear-outputs. You might need to swap around left/right leads (if you can) to get the sound where it should be (because the speakers are now behind you, not infront of you). Maybe my speakers were just made wrong or something...

If your speakers have +/- leads on them, check that they are the right way around. If you have one speaker on +/- and the other on -/+ they'll effectively cancel each other out leaving it all sounding quite empty. Again, depending on the way your speakers were made (mine were made by a small blindfolded monkey, I'm sure) you might have to wire it up in reverse to match your front speakers.

If you only have a stereo sound card you'll need a new one :( . If you transfer your sound digitally to the receiver (mmmmm, yummy) you'll have to plug the speakers into the receiver and then that's a whole new kettle of fish. You'll need to find speakers appropriate for your receiver's amp.

Technically I suppose you should find speakers that match in timbre and tone or something. But as you said, this is ghetto surround ;)

As for finding drivers that support all four channels ... that's another matter entirely! Some swear by ALSA, some swear at ALSA.
Fryguy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's an SBLive, so I think that I can just plug new speakers in. At least until I decide to spend some money and get some nice 5.1 speakers instead of using these random bookshelves plugged into a receiver now.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: