Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Gentoo 2006.1 - Blade 100 - Kernel booting...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fanfwe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject: Gentoo 2006.1 - Blade 100 - Kernel booting... Reply with quote

Hi,
I just decided to replace my Old SunOS9 by a Gentoo on my SunBlade 100.
The installation goes well, but I can't get my system booting now.
I decided to put a gentoo 2006.1 with a 2.6 kernel from the gentoo-sources package.
When I start the system now, I get the SILO (version 1.4.13) prompt, I type linux which is my entry in the silo.conf, then i get this :

Allocated 8 Megs of memory at 0x40000000 for kernel
Loaded kernel version 2.6.17
Remapping the kernel... done.
Booting Linux...

And it stops here.

I would like you first to comfirm my silo conf cause I'm not sure of this :
I have this partitionning:
/dev/hda1 : 512M - Mounted on /boot
/dev/hda2 : 512M - Swap space
/dev/hda3: 9GB - Mounted on /

So my kernel is in the root directory of /dev/hda1 but the root directory of the system is /dev/hda3
Then this is what I have put in silo.conf :

partition = 1
root = /dev/hda3

image = /kernel-2.6.17
label = linux

Partition 1 means that the kernel is on /dev/hda1
root = /dev/hda3 shows the root filesystem for the system
then in image I have put /kernel-2.6.17 instead of /boot/kernel-2.6.17 because there is a special partition for the /boot

Is it correct ?

Then I assume the problem, if it is not due to the bootloader configuration, should come from my kernel .config file.
I have made an "all built-in" kernel, so no modules, everything I think I need is built into the kernel.
Maybe I have forgotten some options.
Does someone has a .config file working for 2.6 on Sunblade 100, or maybe you prefer me to post my .config here ?

Thank's !
cac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My money would be on the video drivers. Check that you have the ATI Mach64 set and Framebuffer console support enabled. Posting your config would definitely help; I don't have access to mine ATM.

BTW, I think the 2006.1 profile is still flaky on sparc. I'm running 2006.0 on my SB100 and 150's with no problems.
theBlackDragon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same problem here, I've made sure the Ati Mach 64 card is in the kernel, but still it hangs as described by the original poster.

I've uploaded my kernel config here should anybody want to take a look.
Weeve
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mach64 support in 2.6.17 is broken once again for SPARC. You can either disable mach64 support and enable prom console support or use 2.6.16 (which works fine with the mach64). 2.6.18 and above currently don't boot for other reasons on the Blade 100s and 150s.
theBlackDragon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weeve wrote:
The mach64 support in 2.6.17 is broken once again for SPARC. You can either disable mach64 support and enable prom console support or use 2.6.16 (which works fine with the mach64). 2.6.18 and above currently don't boot for other reasons on the Blade 100s and 150s.

Hmm, how come the 2.6.17 kernel from the livecd does boot then? I do have to pass the "video=atyfb:off" option on boot, but if I don't do that for the 2.6.16 kernel it boots with a garbled display too, but it doesn't hang hang when booting from the livecd, which it does with the kernels I've built myself...

A 2.6.16 kernel built with the same config gives me the exact same result from the 2.6.17 kernel btw, it hangs on "Loading Linux...".

Aside from the onboard ATI Rage XL there is also a card installed that lspic identifies as:

Code:
Intergraph Corporation Sun Expert3D-Lite Graphics Accelerator

Googling this doesn't give me any really useful info besides that it's from around 2001 and was supposed to be a pretty good card. It also appears on a list with PCI IDs from kernel.org but info on getting it to work with Linux, or if anything is really required to make it work I can't seem to find.

Oh, and I get this error on boot with the livecd, I guess it just means DMA doesn't work, right?
Code:
SABRE0: Uncorrectable Error, primary error type[DMA Write:Translation Error]
SABRE0: bytemask[00ff] dword_offset[0] was_block(0)
SABRE0: UE AFAR [000000002757c000]
SABRE0: UE Secondary errors [(none)]
SABRE0: IOMMU Error, type[Invalid Error]
SABRE0: IOMMU TAG(2)[RAW(0000000000c6f800)error(Invalid Error)wr(0)sz(8K)vpg(df000000)]
SABRE0: IOMMU DATA(2)[RAW(000000006fe13f5e)valid(1)used(1)cache(0)ppg(0000000027ebc000)

EDIT: typo
Weeve
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Expert 3D Lite isn't supported. Sometimes they may cause problems like what you're seeing.

Looking at your config, here are a few notes:
  • CONFIG_PREEMPT is not recommended on SPARC, so disabling it wouldn't hurt
  • You can disable SBUS framebuffer support, the Blade 100s and 150s don't have SBUS anything.
  • You don't need CONFIG_FB_TILEBLITTING or CONFIG_FB_MODE_HELPERS
  • CONFIG_SND_SUN_CS4231 can be disabled in ALSA as the Blade 100s and 150s don't use that chipset for sound
  • Depending on what version of gcc-sparc4 you have installed, CONFIG_CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE can be really problematic. I'd disable it and rebuild your kernel to be sure this isn't the culprit.
  • I'm not seeing CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ALI15X3 anywhere in your config so even if you got past the "Booting Linux..." part, you'd not be able to mount your filesystems since the OS wouldn't know about any hard drives.
theBlackDragon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weeve wrote:
The Expert 3D Lite isn't supported. Sometimes they may cause problems like what you're seeing.

• CONFIG_PREEMPT is not recommended on SPARC, so disabling it wouldn't hurt
  • You can disable SBUS framebuffer support, the Blade 100s and 150s don't have SBUS anything.
  • You don't need CONFIG_FB_TILEBLITTING or CONFIG_FB_MODE_HELPERS
  • CONFIG_SND_SUN_CS4231 can be disabled in ALSA as the Blade 100s and 150s don't use that chipset for sound
  • Depending on what version of gcc-sparc4 you have installed, CONFIG_CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE can be really problematic. I'd disable it and rebuild your kernel to be sure this isn't the culprit.
  • I'm not seeing CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ALI15X3 anywhere in your config so even if you got past the "Booting Linux..." part, you'd not be able to mount your filesystems since the OS wouldn't know about any hard drives.

Thanks, fixed those issues and now it seems to do a bit more, though I don't get any different output. The box still stops at "Booting Linux...", but harddisk activity keeps up, so I guess it might be booting but just not display anything to the screen or something like that. I'll try removing the extra graphics board later and see if it works then :)

[EDIT]I added sshd to the default runlevel and can confirm that the box boots, I can ssh to it, I just don't get any output from either graphics card (connecting it to the onboard vga port gives me a black screen, connecting to the pci card only gives me the "Booting Linux..." part). Since the Mach 64 seems to be recognized I guess it's the 2nd card taking over video output and since it's not supported... So I'll still try to remove it :)

[EDIT2]Well, that wasn't it. In the end it turned out that the primary video adapter was either disable or set up for serial connectsion, so I executed the following at the OpenBoot prompt to set this straight:
Code:
ok setenv input-device keyboard
ok setenv output-device screen
ok reset-all

After this it rebooted and all was well, hurray :D

Thanks for all the help and on to the next hurdle: X :wink:
bnijssen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weeve wrote:

theBlackDragon wrote:

Thanks, fixed those issues and now it seems to do a bit more, though I don't get any different output. The box still stops at "Booting Linux...", but harddisk activity keeps up, so I guess it might be booting but just not display anything to the screen or something like that. I'll try removing the extra graphics board later and see if it works then :)

Hi BlackDragon! How did you fix the latest note Weeve talked about? You can't just add CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ALI15X3=y to the kernel config, can you? Could you please post your final, working, kernel config for the Blade 100?

Thanks!

EDIT: Never mind, found the CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ALI15X3=y setting, hidden somewhere in the menuconfig...

EDIT2: Unfortunately my blade still panics and doesnt seem to load the ALI15X3 driver:

Quote:

[4294759.672000] ali15x3_smbus 0000:00:07.1: ALI15X3_smb region uninitialized - upgrade BIOS or use force_addr=0xaddr
[4294759.672000] ali15x3_smbus 0000:00:07.1: ALI15X3 not detected, module not inserted.

Last edited by bnijssen on Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:17 pm; edited 4 times in total
krakadikt5k
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe I'm dumb or something... but do sunblade 100's use a sun disklabel? and if so... should he be using /dev/hda3 as root? otherwise i can't see why his silo.conf is bad.
-dan
bnijssen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krakadikt5k wrote:
maybe I'm dumb or something... but do sunblade 100's use a sun disklabel? and if so... should he be using /dev/hda3 as root? otherwise i can't see why his silo.conf is bad.
-dan

As far as I know they talk about a Sun Disclabel in the Sparc Quick Install Guide: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-sparc-quickinstall.xml
theBlackDragon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes they use a Sun disklabel. You did build that driver as a module? You really want to build all drivers you need on bootup into your kernel and not as modules...

If you can't get it figured out, you can get my (working) kernel config here.
krakadikt5k
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes they use a Sun disklabel.

Yeah sorry for not being more clear. My point was more about how partition 3 on a sun disklabel is special. Partition 3 is the whole disk partition, and if a drive needs 3 useabel partitions you skip to 4.
-dan
Nijinski
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Gentoo 2006.1 - Blade 100 - Kernel booting... Reply with quote

[quote="Fanfwe"

When I start the system now, I get the SILO (version 1.4.13) prompt, I type linux which is my entry in the silo.conf, then i get this :

Booting Linux...

And it stops here.
[/quote]

Possibly not very relevant here but I get the same error/hangup booting an Netra X1 with the 2.6.18 gentoo-sources kernel.

Reverted to 2.6.17 and it boots fine again, no changes in config between the two kernels.
theBlackDragon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Gentoo 2006.1 - Blade 100 - Kernel booting... Reply with quote

Nijinski wrote:
Fanfwe wrote:

Booting Linux...

And it stops here.

Possibly not very relevant here but I get the same error/hangup booting an Netra X1 with the 2.6.18 gentoo-sources kernel.

Reverted to 2.6.17 and it boots fine again, no changes in config between the two kernels.

As Weeve stated above 2.6.18 currently doesn't boot on a Blade 100:

Weeve wrote:

Nijinski
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Gentoo 2006.1 - Blade 100 - Kernel booting... Reply with quote

theBlackDragon wrote:

As Weeve stated above 2.6.18 currently doesn't boot on a Blade 100:

Well, yes, but mine is a Netra X1 and you never know until you try :roll:
gust4voz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a patch that went into 2.6.18.2 that will probably help Blade 100/150 users with their boot issues (or UltraSPARC-IIe users for that matter).
It's included in gentoo-sources-2.6.18-r2, so give it a spin and give some feedback on success or b0rkage so we can properly asses if it's a good candidate for stable. Thanks.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: