make i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc command not found
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Odin_SE
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: make i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc command not found Reply with quote

Hi,

I just did a world update on my gentoo box. This was no normal install to begin with as it's a via Eden so it involved starting with an i586 stage 3 and then changing over to an i686. Either way, I got the error below when udev was trying to update:

make i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc command not found

Typing i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc at the command prompt gave the same result. Locate'ing the file turned up i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc-4.1.1 in /usr/bin and copying this to i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc in the same location got all things running again and my world update completed.

My questions...

Why? I changed my cflags to have march=c3 so I imagine everything, including gcc got recompiled. Why did gcc not create a link to i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc-4.1.1 or rename it?

My quick fix will bight me badly next gcc update so what's best? A soft link to i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc-4.1.1 will give me the same error next time gcc updates to 4.1.2 and maybe I'll remember :)

If anybody has any better suggestion for a permanent solution, I'm all ears....

Thanks.
tomatopi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember correctly the C3 is an i586 CPU. The C3-2 is an i686 CPU.
neysx
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomatopi wrote:
If I remember correctly the C3 is an i586 CPU. The C3-2 is an i686 CPU.
Not quite.
See previous posts about the Via C3:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-2879934.html#2879934
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-3439979.html#3439979

Odin_SE, how did you move from i586 to i686? Did you follow the http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/change-chost.xml guide or did you just edit it and hope it would just work?

Hth
tomatopi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah.. I installed my C3's before the mtune=c3 was available. At that time, it was suggested to use march=i586 -m3dnow -mmmx. The Samuel and Ezra cores do not support the i686 cmov function so you couldn' t use an i686 binary or cflags.

I guess I should keep more up to date on gcc updates. Sorry.
Odin_SE
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neysx: I'm pretty new to linux and even newer to gentoo so I was not so sure what was going on there. I found conflicting articles saying that you could use i686 and that setting march=c3 would stop any issues with illegal instructions. Other articles said you should use i586.

I booted a stage 3 i586 and when I got to the step "Choosing the Right Profile" (Gentoo Handbook), I choose a 2006.1 profile. I also set my make.conf as follows:

CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=c3 -m3dnow -Os -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"

Once the system came up, I did a world update: emerge --update --deep --newuse world

It bombed a couple of times and doing etc-update followed by env-update got it going again.

I just wish I had seen that article about about changing CHOST. I did the tests and gcc-config shows no active profile and env.d seems to have a bunch of references to i586. I guess monday will have me manually tweaking all of this. Had I read that document, I probably would not have had this mess :(
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: