Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
PlayStation 2 - Major progress, help me finish!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are there any adapters out there that let you write to a ps2 mem card from a computer?
Chewi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh I've covered this whole area in the wiki. Ah what the hell, you can have a look now. :P

http://gps2.aura-online.co.uk/trac/gentoo-ps2/wiki/TheGreatExperiment
http://gps2.aura-online.co.uk/trac/gentoo-ps2/wiki/WhatDoYouNeed
http://gps2.aura-online.co.uk/trac/gentoo-ps2/wiki/TheLessThanLegalMethods

The cheapest option is Swap Magic but the swap trick does get a bit tiresome. There are some issues with HDLoader, which I've mentioned the wiki. I didn't mention the ActionReplay thing because I've never used one but I gather that is one possible method. Oh and as I mentioned earlier, you can still BUY the DVD in certain areas from linuxplay.com. I've got mine. :)
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can contribute info on the ActionReplay method for the wiki as it quite easy actually
Chewi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd appreciate that but don't go into too much detail. I'm trying to keep the focus on Linux and away from piracy. There's plenty of specific info around the net.
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you have ebuilds for a cross-compiler yet... or the starts?

EDIT: or are you using crossdev: "crossdev -s4 -t ee-ps2-linux-uclibc"
Chewi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay since you're all desperate to get your hands on this stuff, I've put the stuff that's ready into SVN.

Code:
svn co svn://gps2.aura-online.co.uk/gentoo-ps2

Within that is the ps2-overlay folder. I highly recommend that you do not add this overlay to your make.conf. You can add it to your PS2's make.conf when you get to that stage though so you won't always have to specify it on the command line. The distfiles are not to be commited to SVN but can be found in http://gps2.aura-online.co.uk/distfiles. Since the toolchain eclasses often generate their own SRC_URI values, instead of me adding that URL to the toolchain ebuilds, you will need to add http://gps2.aura-online.co.uk to GENTOO_MIRRORS in your make.conf. Please add it as the last value.

As rmh3093 has noticed, crossdev already includes PS2 support but this isn't for Linux. I'm not sure how SpanKY wants to handle this in the long run but for now, you will need to add the following line to /usr/sbin/crossdev under where it says "### linux targets ###" and before the mips* entry.

Code:
mipsEE*)    TARCH=mips;   KPKG="ps2-headers"; GVER="3.0.4"; BVER="2.14-r1";;

Once you've done that, you're ready to run crossdev. You may need to select gcc 3 as your compiler first though because gcc 4 seems to have trouble building gcc 3.0.4. Use gcc-config to change your current compiler.

Code:
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage /path/to/gentoo-ps2/ps2-overlay" crossdev -s2 -t mipsEEel-scei-linux-uclibc

It is very important that you add /usr/local/portage first when specifying PORTDIR_OVERLAY because crossdev will create files in this folder and you don't want to mess up your SVN checkout. You can only go as far as stage 2 for now because I haven't added uclibc yet. Stage 2 isn't enough to build a base system with but it is enough to build a kernel so once you've done that, add the following to /etc/portage/package.keywords.

Code:
sys-kernel/ps2-sources mips ~mips

You can then emerge ps2-sources like so.

Code:
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/path/to/gentoo-ps2/ps2-overlay" emerge ps2-sources

Remember that this is a 2.4 kernel. You can configure and build it like so. The resulting vmlinux file can be stripped (which makes it much smaller) but do this on a copy because sometimes the kernel symbols need to be read when building modules.

Code:
make ARCH=mips menuconfig
make ARCH=mips dep
make ARCH=mips
make ARCH=mips modules
make ARCH=mips modules_install
mipsEEel-scei-linux-uclibc-strip -o vmlinux.strip vmlinux

Have fun! :P
Chewi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I don't think the kernel package includes a useful default configuration. Here's a very minimal configuration for you to start off with. You'll probably want to enable a fair bit more.
SpanKY
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i want to get things working first and then we fold back into the tree the final solution ... that way we dont waste time adding/removing/changing previous ideas that proved to be unworkable

as for the kernel issue, i too did a diff a while back and found the result completely unwieldy ... any chance someone can find the montavista base code that the ps2 was done against ? that way we could cut out all the montavista noise and focus on the ps2
Chewi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just had a look around their source site and their FTP servers. I found some interesting stuff but not what we're looking for. What we need might be available in their "developer zone" but you need to buy something to get into that. I'll give them a call tomorrow. It's harder to ignore a phone call. ;) I'll try e-mailing if that doesn't work.
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn, you really have been working your ass off on this project, I didnt realize the CC in crossdev dosent work out of the box..... have you compiled it on an amd64 system though? or are you in a x86 environment?
Chewi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't take credit for most of it, the patches for both gcc 3.0.4 (what PS2 with Linux uses) and gcc 3.2.2 (what PS2 without Linux uses and what crossdev already supports) were created by very skilled people from the ps2dev.org community. Besides doing what is necessary to tie this in nicely with Gentoo, the only significant stuff I've done is make the framebuffer driver work with kernel 2.4 and a bunch of wrappers to ease the pain of cross compiling in general.

I don't think building it on amd64 will be a problem but I'm on x86 myself. I just found that gcc 4 wouldn't build it because the code isn't strict enough in a few places. I tried to figure it out but it's really not obvious where the problem is.

Regarding the kernel patches, I haven't contacted MontaVista because I have a plan, which I'm working on momentarily. :wink:
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahhh yes then gcc4 must be the culprit... I think I am stuck with it though for 64bit
Chewi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That shouldn't be a problem unless I'm missing something. We only use the PS2 in 32-bit mode. You can run a 32-bit compiler, can't you?
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you clear up something im am confused... what ps2-sources is in your distfiles? what is it based on 2.4.17_ps2 from the sony website or is it hacked togther from 2.2?
Chewi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's 2.4.17 from the Sony site with a few patches applied, including my framebuffer patch.
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

montavista linux = linux-2.4.17 + preempt-log + preempt-kernel + [other broken out patches I havent found yet]

...from what I can tell so far

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/rml/preempt-kernel/
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/rml/preempt-log/
Chewi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah that's interesting! Could be useful for me. What I realised was that none of the PS2-specific files had been touched by MontaVista so I began comparing the trees in various ways and ended up with a diff containing just the PS2-specific files and any changes to files that didn't say "MontaVista" in them anywhere. Unfortunately, it was still pretty big - around 100,000 lines. But I've gone right through it and hastily cut out anything that didn't seem to be PS2-related (there was all sorts in there including Dreamcast stuff!) and got it down to about 53,000 lines. Still pretty big. The problem is that there are a lot of MIPS-specific changes but I'm not sure if they're PS2-specific. They had added support for several other MIPS boards. I might have to see how the earlier kernel differs from Linux/MIPS. I'll probably give it another run through later and then I'll start adjusting the config files to cut out the extra menu options.
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually I found more broken out patches

apply the patches in this order, Delete the Documents folder, delete everying in arch (except mips), delete everything in include except for (-mips -general net scsi video linux), and in arch/mips create folder configs and move defconfig-ps2 into it, delete the other defconfigs, then diff against the ps2-sources from montavista
that strips out a lot of crap

MontaVista:

+linux-2.4.17
+zboot (http://www.rit.edu/~rmh3093/ps2/patches/zboot-2.4.17.patch)
+preempt_kernel (http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/rml/preempt-kernel/v2.4/preempt-kernel-rml-2.4.17-3.patch)
+preempt_stats (http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/rml/preempt-stats/v2.4/preempt-stats-rml-2.4.17-2.patch)
+crypto (http://www.rit.edu/~rmh3093/ps2/patches/patch-int-2.4.17.0)
+i2c (http://www.rit.edu/~rmh3093/ps2/patches/i2c-2.4.17.patch)
+lmsensors (http://www.rit.edu/~rmh3093/ps2/patches/lmsensors-2.4.17.patch)

Last edited by rmh3093 on Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:( im not sure whats going wrong here

Code:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- * Host Portage ARCH:     x86
 * Target Portage ARCH:   mips
 * Target System:         mipsEEel-scei-linux-uclibc
 * Stage:                 2 (kernel headers)

* binutils:              binutils-2.14-r1
 * gcc:                   gcc-3.0.4
 * headers:               ps2-headers-[latest]

* PORTDIR_OVERLAY:       /usr/local/xgl-coffee
 * PORT_LOGDIR:           /var/log/portage
 * PKGDIR:                /usr/portage/packages/cross/mipsEEel-scei-linux-uclibc
 * PORTAGE_TMPDIR:        /var/tmp/cross/mipsEEel-scei-linux-uclibc
  _  -  ~  -  _  -  ~  -  _  -  ~  -  _  -  ~  -  _  -  ~  -  _  -  ~  -  _  -  ~  -  _  -  ~  -  _  -  ~  -  _ * Using sys-devel/binutils from /usr/local/ps2-overlay instead of /usr/portage
 * Using sys-devel/gcc from /usr/local/ps2-overlay instead of /usr/portage
 * Using sys-kernel/ps2-headers from /usr/local/ps2-overlay instead of /usr/portage
 * Forcing the latest versions of binutils-config/gcc-config ...                                         [ !! ]

EDIT: emerge -C eselect-compiler && emerge gcc-config

that fixed my issue
Chewi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was gonna say it doesn't look quite right but I didn't see the binutils message over on the right so that's okay. Though it also says it's using /usr/local/xgl-coffee as your overlay directory, which you probably don't want. You should really run it exactly as I said above...

Code:
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage /path/to/gentoo-ps2/ps2-overlay" crossdev -s2 -t mipsEEel-scei-linux-uclibc
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think crossdev displays only the first entry in portdir_overlay because it found the needed packages in ps2-overlay, it finally started to compile ok
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got the toolchain compiled but i get this error trying to compile the kernel

Code:
mipsEEel-scei-linux-uclibc-gcc -I /usr/src/linux-2.4.17-ps2/include/asm/gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.17-ps2/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -G 0 -mno-abicalls -fno-pic -march=r5900 -pipe   -c -o init/main.o init/main.c
as: unrecognized option `-G'
make: *** [init/main.o] Error 2

Chewi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's strange, I had that problem but I fixed it by adding this to the gcc ebuild.

Code:
EXTRA_ECONF="--with-ld=/usr/bin/${CTARGET}-ld --with-as=/usr/bin/${CTARGET}-as"

That shouldn't normally be necessary but I found that gcc 3.0.4 has needed it since Gentoo started putting their cross binutils binaries in /usr/${CHOST}/${CTARGET}/binutils-bin instead of /usr/${CTARGET}/binutils-bin. Maybe SpanKY can comment on this? rmh3093, does /usr/bin/mipsEEel-scei-linux-uclibc-as exist for you? If not, try running binutils-config to activate the mipEEel-scei-linux-uclibc profile. Now I think about it, I probably should have pointed the ebuild to /usr/libexec/gcc/${CTARGET} instead of /usr/bin. I can't point it to /usr/${CHOST}/${CTARGET}/binutils-bin because that would involve hardcoding the binutils version. I may make the change to prevent this from happening again. Let me know what happens.

EDIT: Thinking about it some more, pointing to /usr/libexec/gcc/${CTARGET} probably wouldn't fix it either. Am I doing this wrong or do people simply have to run binutils-config for it to work?
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had to compile the toolchain in a 32bit chroot as packages then returned to my main system and emerged the packages.... but anyway I only have mipsEEel-scei-linux-uclibc-cpp mipsEEel-scei-linux-uclibc-gcc, no -as
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
~ # ls /usr/bin/mipsEEel-scei-linux-uclibc-* -ls
 0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    53 Oct 27 16:23 /usr/bin/mipsEEel-scei-linux-uclibc-addr2line -> /usr/libexec/gcc/mipsEEel-scei-linux-uclibc/addr2line
 0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    46 Oct 27 16:23 /usr/bin/mipsEEel-scei-linux-uclibc-ar -> /usr/libexec/gcc/mipsEEel-scei-linux-uclibc/ar
 0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    46 Oct 27 16:23 /usr/bin/mipsEEel-scei-linux-uclibc-as -> /usr/libexec/gcc/mipsEEel-scei-linux-uclibc/as
 0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    51 Oct 27 16:23 /usr/bin/mipsEEel-scei-linux-uclibc-c++filt -> /usr/libexec/gcc/mipsEEel-scei-linux-uclibc/c++filt
12 -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 11280 Oct 27 21:51 /usr/bin/mipsEEel-scei-linux-uclibc-cpp
12 -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 11280 Oct 27 21:51 /usr/bin/mipsEEel-scei-linux-uclibc-gcc
 0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    46 Oct 27 16:23 /usr/bin/mipsEEel-scei-linux-uclibc-ld -> /usr/libexec/gcc/mipsEEel-scei-linux-uclibc/ld
 0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    46 Oct 27 16:23 /usr/bin/mipsEEel-scei-linux-uclibc-nm -> /usr/libexec/gcc/mipsEEel-scei-linux-uclibc/nm
 0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    51 Oct 27 16:23 /usr/bin/mipsEEel-scei-linux-uclibc-objcopy -> /usr/libexec/gcc/mipsEEel-scei-linux-uclibc/objcopy
 0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    51 Oct 27 16:23 /usr/bin/mipsEEel-scei-linux-uclibc-objdump -> /usr/libexec/gcc/mipsEEel-scei-linux-uclibc/objdump
 0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    50 Oct 27 16:23 /usr/bin/mipsEEel-scei-linux-uclibc-ranlib -> /usr/libexec/gcc/mipsEEel-scei-linux-uclibc/ranlib
 0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    51 Oct 27 16:23 /usr/bin/mipsEEel-scei-linux-uclibc-readelf -> /usr/libexec/gcc/mipsEEel-scei-linux-uclibc/readelf
 0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    48 Oct 27 16:23 /usr/bin/mipsEEel-scei-linux-uclibc-size -> /usr/libexec/gcc/mipsEEel-scei-linux-uclibc/size
 0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    51 Oct 27 16:23 /usr/bin/mipsEEel-scei-linux-uclibc-strings -> /usr/libexec/gcc/mipsEEel-scei-linux-uclibc/strings
 0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    49 Oct 27 16:23 /usr/bin/mipsEEel-scei-linux-uclibc-strip -> /usr/libexec/gcc/mipsEEel-scei-linux-uclibc/strip

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 4 of 12

Jump to: