Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
PlayStation 2 - Major progress, help me finish!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roarinelk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you find out what causes epatch to fail? I run into the exact
same problem on SH-4 arch. epatch fails although the log says the patch
was applied.
Chewi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't figure it out and it's one of the most annoying problems so if you do figure it out, please let me know! Unfortunately epatch is a mess of pipes and redirects so it's hard to see what's really going on.
lannocc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just hopping aboard this discussion... very fascinating! I have the PS2 linux kit and played around with it a couple years ago until the hard drive died. Now that I've been using Gentoo for the last two years I'm ready to dust off my ps2 again and see what she can do with Gentoo! Ultimately I'd like to see how far I can get turning my ps2 into a mythtv front-end on gentoo. Thanks for all the hard work, keep it up!
Redhatter
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lannocc wrote:
Just hopping aboard this discussion... very fascinating! I have the PS2 linux kit and played around with it a couple years ago until the hard drive died. Now that I've been using Gentoo for the last two years I'm ready to dust off my ps2 again and see what she can do with Gentoo! Ultimately I'd like to see how far I can get turning my ps2 into a mythtv front-end on gentoo. Thanks for all the hard work, keep it up!

MythTV frontend? a PS2? You're joking aren't you?

Gentoo/MIPS Cobalt developer, Mozilla herd member.
lannocc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redhatter wrote:
MythTV frontend? a PS2? You're joking aren't you?

Why, PS2 wouldn't be able to handle it? It did a decent job playing videos over the network back when I previously had Linux running on it. I'm really just looking for an interactive menu to access my media (music, videos) and MythTV was my first choice. Is there perhaps something more lightweight you would recommend?
Redhatter
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... it all depends on the format of the videos.

It's worth noting that on the MIPS architecture, there's no CPU acceleration for any of the decoders, and no video acceleration for the framebuffer in general.

XINE, for instance, has great difficulty running on MIPS. Even something as strong as an Octane, chokes.

A PS2, with its whacky non-conformant CPU, 32MB RAM, and an ancient kernel, would have no chance.

Gentoo/MIPS Cobalt developer, Mozilla herd member.
SpanKY
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: PlayStation 2 - Major progress, help me finish! Reply with quote

Chewi wrote:
epatch always fails
This is a pretty weird problem. Portage works fine except that epatch, the function used for patching, always fails, even though the debug output shows that the patch applied cleanly. I only run Portage on the PS2 for the stubborn packages and I can easily unpack/patch the files using ebuild on my PC. Setting FEATURES="keepwork" stops the PS2 from screwing it up again.

only time ive seen this is with cross-compiled bash/patch (or just bash iirc) ... rebuild bash natively and things should just start working
garlicbread
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember trying gentoo before on the PS2 with a much older stage 1 / snapshot that someone had put together and posted around here (The thing was that old that mips support wasn't even supported in the ebuilds and it didn't work too well)

I've taken a new interest in this recently from what's been posted here
(also just because I want something to stick on my web page :) )
I've recently tried to seperate out just the patches that Sony had applied to the 2.2 kernel to see what they had added
I've found that they started off with an odd CVS release of the kernel from the linux mips website
then added LVM support, followed by UDF support and USB support
then finally the Sony related stuff that talks to the IOP
I'll try to do the same with the 2.4 kernel mentioned when I've got the time, to figure out just the Sony related stuff for the R5900 (I'm aware that it works but the 2.4 kernel doesn't have all the drivers that were in the original 2.2 patch)
but it's a good starting point
If I can get a toolchain that's up to date I might start off with 2.6 to try and add in the code for the R5900 and just the network driver in combination with an initird so I can openssh into it to see if it works

I realised that for a 2.6 kernel at the very least I'm going to need a much more up to date toolchain
so I've started looking at this so that I can try and create a seed stage for catalyst to then use to create a stage 1

I've recently patched binutils up to 2.15 and I'm in the middle of patching it for 2.16.1 using the original patch from the ps2dev site for 2.14, I hope to get these posted on the web soon
(working your way up though the versions makes it easier when your not aware of the full details)
garlicbread
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just uploaded some patches
url for binutils patches for 2.15 and 2.16.1
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/garlicbread/Projects/PS2Linux/patches/binutils/

it's possible to also apply the gentoo patches as well to 2.16.1
although the ps2 patch has to be applied before the gentoo ones for a clean patch with no failures
not much testing done other than seeing if it compiles and running make check
I don't seem to be getting any more warnings than 2.14 so it should be okay

I'll have a look at gcc next to see what's possible
SpanKY
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garlicbread wrote:
I've just uploaded some patches
url for binutils patches for 2.15 and 2.16.1

awesome ! i'll take a look at getting the 2.16.1 ones into portage, but i probably wont bother with the 2.15 ones ... and to be honest, you should consider 2.17 anyways ...
garlicbread
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure but looking at how they work I have a feeling that they may interfere with the normal mips operation
as some of the opcodes are just replaced with others instead of there being conditional statements to choose one or the other (in other words having these patches applied while using a different mips setup may break stuff)
I used 2.16.1 since that seems to be the current stable version at the moment
for 2.17 it should just be a case of trying it to see if the patch works then going through any rejection files to manually add anything in

I'll have a look at going from gcc-3.0.4 to 3.1 next to see if that works, I've found it's best to move up a version at a time to not get overwhelmed with the number of differences that need to be looked at
glibc is going to be the nightmare one, (is it possible to build the 2.6 kernel with uclibc?)
SpanKY
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garlicbread wrote:
I'm not sure but looking at how they work I have a feeling that they may interfere with the normal mips operation

right, i will prob make the patch conditional on the chost (mips5900)

garlicbread wrote:
is it possible to build the 2.6 kernel with uclibc?)

the system libc has nothing to do with the kernel ... you can build a kernel without a libc
garlicbread
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just had a look at binutils-2.17
looking at include/opcode/mips.h and gas/config/tc-mips.c
some of the symbols for the opcodes that used to be used for the PS2 are now used for other purposes within mips
so there's some amount of overlap with this version
it should be possible to re-jig it if I can figure it out, perhaps using a different extension for the PS2 related stuff but this in turn will probably affect the patch for gcc as to which op-codes to use
so for now I'll just stick with 2.16.1
SpanKY
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garlicbread wrote:
for now I'll just stick with 2.16.1

2.16.1 is a very acceptable place to be at right now ... so dont work too hard on it with other pressing issues (like kernel/gcc/libc)

we can revisit this with an eye on the future once we get the other things worked out
garlicbread
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I've just had a look at gcc
binutils was extremley easy to patch by comparison
I had a look at the 3.0.4 patchset and it looks as if there are a load of duplicated defines within gcc/config/mips/linux.h
it looks as if a lot of the defines that used to be in there in earlier versions were moved into other headers (like gcc/config/linux.h
which is the reason you get lots of warnings about redefines when compiling 3.0.4
I tried to patch 3.1 based on this and cleanup linux.h but it was no good (ended up with a load of blarb about syntax errors from a file that was autogenerated by some other file)

tried to work my way up from 2.95.2, got as far as 2.95.3
but the differences between 2.95.3 and 3.0 were too great

If we ever hope to get this up to GCC-4.0 level I think it'll have to be re-done from scratch with some understanding how the internals of gcc / binutils work with the mips architecture (instead of just blindly patching stuff based on really old stale patches)

I've not given up on this though
the PDF's on the Linux PS2 DVD describe the EE processor pretty well
this is an old PDF about porting other devices into gcc which might be of some use ftp://ftp.axis.se/pub/users/hp/pgccfd/
I'm going to try and start by mapping out the differences first between the EE Processor and other mips processors
from what I understand it has all of MIPS1 some (but not all) of MIPS2 / MIPS3 / MIPS4 / plus some other assembler instructions
sonyman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updates? I'm anxiously awaiting a functional port. :)
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chewi wrote:
Maybe porting the PS2 APA driver to the latest stock kernel wouldn't be too hard but it's not a priority for me so someone else can tackle that.

im all over that :)
Chewi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shit guys, I'm so sorry, for some reason I didn't any receive recent e-mail notifications until that last post. Don't know what the hell happened there.

First of all, garlicbread, that is awesome. :D I'd appreciate it if you could IM when you can.

Thanks for the tip, SpanKY. I think I did try building patch natively but I'm not sure if I ever tried bash.

rmh3093, thanks for the offer but I've since realised that's not so important after all. You can use any partition format you like as long as your PS2 kernel can read it. The format you use is only important if you want to share the drive with HDLoader or HDAdvance. Still, it could be useful. :)

Okay, update time. I gave the whole thing a rest for a while but started getting back into it a few weeks ago. After receiving my own brand new copy of the Linux DVD (yay), I set up Trac on my web server and started fleshing out the wiki. You may be glad to hear that I'm a developer who's not afraid of writing a bit of documentation. ;) I want to flesh it out a bit more before letting you all loose on it because otherwise we'll all start going in different directions. I was half-way through writing about what a pain in the arse cross compiling is when I suddenly had an amazing idea...

Magic Cross was working in a really horrible, hacky, unreliable way, using regular expressions to prepend $ROOT to gcc's arguments and such like. Ugh. My new idea was much better - I would run gcc processes inside a chroot of $ROOT. I would need to mount --bind enough stuff in order for gcc to work while not mounting over the all-important /lib and /usr/lib folders. I wasn't sure if it would work but I gave it a shot. After a while, it did look as though this would be a viable solution! I sharpened it up by rewriting the Bash/Ruby scripts in C (man, my C was rusty) and successfully managed to build gcc. :) gcc is smart enough to not need Magic Cross normally but if you enable Fortran support (was testing this for the Mac, not sure if we have Fortran on the PS2), it needs to link against mpfr, something it would usually stumble on. I need to test it some more but it's looking very promising.

Another interesting Magic Cross development is how it now handles binaries that need to be run at build time. You used to have to pass in a list of the problematic binaries using the MX_BUILDBINS variable beforehand. Hardly ideal. It now uses the binfmt_misc kernel feature to run a wrapper script every time the system attemps to run a non-native binary. Instead of simply trying to run the binary and dying, it moves it, compiles a native version, moves that, restores the non-native version and runs the native version. The native version is kept in place in case the system tries to run the non-native version again. It sounds long-winded but it really works, at least for simple cases so far. If the binary needs to be linked against other object files then things get a bit more tricky but I'll try to make it as intelligent as I can.

Finally, I added a line to crossdev to allow the PS2 Linux toolchain to be built easily. crossdev already supported the PS2 but not for Linux. Despite gcc 3.0.4 being ancient, it seems to work. I haven't built uclibc with it yet because I'm going to start using a recent SVN checkout instead of 0.9.27. Apparently 0.9.29 isn't too far around the corner so we might as well start aiming for that.

Oh yeah, two more things, XDirectFB has been updated for xorg 7.0 so I'm definitely going to try that and GTKDFB seems to be alive and kicking. I thought it was dead. Running the GIMP without X is just too tempting. ;) I might have to do a few tricks to tie it in nicely with Portage though.
Chewi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garlicbread, you mentioned separating out the kernel patches. This is something I had already considered but hadn't got around to yet. The thing about the 2.4 kernel is that it's based on MontaVista's Hard Hat kernel, which is a quite a strange animal. I tried diffing it against the vanilla Linux and Linux/MIPS kernels of the same version. The resulting patch was about the same size for each - 3.8MB bzip2 compressed in the case of vanilla!! That's a pretty hefty patch but very little of that is PS2-specific. This might lead to you to consider taking the patches from 2.2 instead but when working on the framebuffer driver, I found that a lot of the PS2 stuff was reorganised between 2.2 and 2.4. I'm wondering if it's worth contacting MontaVista to see if they can provide us with the sources for a more generic version of their kernel. It's all GPL so they shouldn't have anything to hide. Otherwise we'll have to separate them out by hand, which might not be all that hard really.
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chewi wrote:
rmh3093, thanks for the offer but I've since realised that's not so important after all. You can use any partition format you like as long as your PS2 kernel can read it. The format you use is only important if you want to share the drive with HDLoader or HDAdvance. Still, it could be useful. :)

yeah I still want my HDLoader functionality ;)
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chewi wrote:
garlicbread, you mentioned separating out the kernel patches. This is something I had already considered but hadn't got around to yet. The thing about the 2.4 kernel is that it's based on MontaVista's Hard Hat kernel, which is a quite a strange animal. I tried diffing it against the vanilla Linux and Linux/MIPS kernels of the same version. The resulting patch was about the same size for each - 3.8MB bzip2 compressed in the case of vanilla!! That's a pretty hefty patch but very little of that is PS2-specific. This might lead to you to consider taking the patches from 2.2 instead but when working on the framebuffer driver, I found that a lot of the PS2 stuff was reorganised between 2.2 and 2.4. I'm wondering if it's worth contacting MontaVista to see if they can provide us with the sources for a more generic version of their kernel. It's all GPL so they shouldn't have anything to hide. Otherwise we'll have to separate them out by hand, which might not be all that hard really.

this is what we did when Nitro-sources stopped including broken-outs, we just broke apart a massive diff, its not hard at all...... 'emerge quilt' it will make your life a lil easier when it comes to managing patches
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking, with the memory card exploit not being illegal, it cant be that hard to modify one of the elf launchers to load a linux kernel
SpanKY
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's already been done i thought ... the problem still though is how to do you get the exploit onto the memory card in the first place ? you still need a modded playstation or someone with one :(
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpanKY wrote:
it's already been done i thought ... the problem still though is how to do you get the exploit onto the memory card in the first place ? you still need a modded playstation or someone with one :(

all you need to get the exploit on the memory card is an "Action Replay Max" for $30 and a usb keydrive, or the ~$60 version with the usb keydrive, the action replay comes with a disk that can read from the usb port so you can save the the exploit on the keydrive and transfer it to the mem card on the ps2....

the action replay also supports downloading updates (from the ps2 via the ethernet adapter) from the internet, but there is a fake update server program that will allow you to send the exploit over a LAN.... I could not get this method to work though.

Then there is HDLoader which can run any PS2 backup; an ISO of the RTE disk boots just fine.... the kernel is elf, so there must be some way to just launch the kernel
SpanKY
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

those cheaper still, but i'd like to get as close to $0 and no work for end users as possible

i'm not worried about myself (mod+hdloader+original linux kit == access to everything), but about how to do actual releases
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 3 of 12

Jump to: