Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
emerge, broken packages, lsof, circular references
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 7:46 am    Post subject: emerge, broken packages, lsof, circular references Reply with quote

Hmm ... It looks like there's some problems at the moment with the "lsof" package. emerge can not calculate dependencies since the lsofXXX.ebuild file is missing.

If you do an "emerge rsync" you will get the lsof package without a corresponding .ebuild file.

Also, emerge reports circular references for the latest portage update. portage depends on python which depends on python-fchksum which depends on portage ...

Ah ... This was going all to well ...
st0w
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record, I'm also setting up Gentoo as we speak, and lsof emerged just perfectly for me. :? I know that's not much help for you, but perhaps telling the developers exactly what steps you've gone through to get to this instance would help them. I know I pulled down the minimal ix86 iso and built off that, with everything being built from source. :) Yay for source! hehe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In reply to myself - the lsof-4.60-r1.ebuild file has now appeared in the cvs/rsync repository (like 5 minutes ago if you check the age in the cvs viewer) and "emerge rsync" fetches it.

Now ... If only the python/portage circular reference could be fixed ...

python-fchksum depends on python
portage depends on python
python depends on python-fchksum
portage depends on python-fchksum

ugh ...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me again, yes the "lsof-4.60-r1.ebuild" file appeared while i was writing the first message. I wrote the message then checked the cvs repository (with the cvs viewer) and noticed that the file was there ... Just bad timing I guess :)

But python is a no go at this moment (unless it's also fixed while i'm typing this). Try and "emerge --pretend --update system", unless you managed to get the things while it was working.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ... Checked the cvs repository again, it looks like the last revision of python-fchksum (revision 1.4, version 1.6.1) introduced the old python dependency which was removed in revision 1.2.

Look at the revision tree, the comments and the contents of revision 1.4 and 1.2/1.3. Looks like an error to me?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm ... Me again ...

Yes, it looks like there's a problem with dev-lang/python-2.2-r6 and dev-python/python-fchksum-1.6.1.

If you use the cvs viewer and check the dependencies in the .ebuild files for the last revisions you'll see that:

python depends on python-fchksum
python-fchksum depends on python

The changes for python was submitted by for 2 hrs ago and the python-fchksum changes by the same person 5 hrs ago - I guess he's a bit tired at the moment :)
st0w
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahahahahhah aren't we all? I'm happy to say I'm staring at a nice, lovely, login: prompt for this installation -- everything went pretty smoothly, I must say. I'm quite happy thus far. :) On to building the rest of the system up! Ahh yes... this is why I always used to fall asleep in school many years ago... ;)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, well ...

python-fchksum has a build dependency (DEPEND) on python which means that python has to exist to be able to build it.

python on the other hand has a runtime dependency (RDEPEND) on python-fchksum, which means that ...

Python can't be used to build python-fscksum since it requires python-fchksum to run at all.

Nice thought with the DEPEND/RDEPEND dependencies in those .ebuild files but it boils down to the chicken and the egg problem :)
dice
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:

somebox root # date
Thu Apr 25 02:13:30 PDT 2002
somebox root # emerge --clean rsync
(blah.....)
somebox root # emerge --pretend --update world

These are the packages that I would merge, in order.

Calculating world dependencies -
!!! Error: couldn't find match for dev-python/python-fchksum in sys-apps/portage-1.9.2

Erm.... I'm not gonna touch it :)
bfinary
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, I'm getting this today too

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there seems to be some major dependency problems regardning python at the moment. The same person who updated python, python-fchksum also updated portage a couple of hours ago.

The latest comment (in the cvs tree - use "viewcvs", from the gentoo startpage) is "new deps for new python". And this contains the loop/circular reference for python and python-fchksum.

BTW, portage was updated to 1.9.3 four (4) hrs ago, which is also broken due to the new python dependencies.
HooL
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 2:32 pm    Post subject: oh no... Reply with quote

Got the same problem here unfortunately!

Code:

> emerge -pu world
These are the packages that I would merge, in order.
Calculating world dependencies |
!!! Error: couldn't find match for dev-python/python-fchksum in sys-apps/portage-1.9.2

:-( Wonder how I could fix that..?

Bye,
HooL
Bartjuh

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something similar here:
emerging python (2.2-r7 is latest) depends on python-fchksum.
emerging python-fchksum fails because python isn't installed :(

I fixed it this way:
Code:
emerge dev-lang/python/python-2.2-r5.ebuild
emerge python-fchksum
emerge python

python-2.2-r5 doesn't depend on python-fchksum.

Now everything is fine :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: