Critical C3 Ezra problems[SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elsenator
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Critical C3 Ezra problems[SOLVED] Reply with quote

Hey all,
I've run into quite a problem with an EPIA board of mine(800 mhz C3 Ezra cpu). I'm determined to run Gentoo on it, but no matter what LiveCD i use to install, it won't let me chroot into the new environment, thus rendering my installation uncompletable. The error i get from chrooting is "Illegal instruction", which tells me that chroot was probably not compiled for the Ezra architecture.

Here's what i know so far:
- The C3 Ezra is not i686, since it doesn't support the CMOV instruction.
- All the way down to the Gentoo 2005.0 LiveCD i'm having the same error/issue.
- I will probably have to rebuilt my toolchain since it needs to be compatible with the Ezra, and as of right now, they are all precompiled for i686.

Ok, that was the info. Here's my questions:
- Where can i get a LiveCD which contains a chroot that will actually work with the C3 Ezra? Any i386 LiveCD(or even i586) should work, but i can't seem to find any that actually works. I've tried with both Gentoo 2005.0/2005.1/2006.0/2006.1, Ubuntu and Fedora LiveCD's but i get the same result when chrooting ("Illegal instruction").
- How do i rebuilt the toolchain when installing? I read something about a bootstrap.sh script which should be modified somehow, but i have no idea what i'm supposed to do with it.

I'd appreciate any help i can get on this matter, since i reeeeeally don't wanna have to install Ubuntu or Fedora on it.

Thanks.

Last edited by elsenator on Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you trying to do a stage1 install? If so have you tried the Minimal CD?
neysx
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Critical C3 Ezra problems Reply with quote

elsenator wrote:
Here's what i know so far:
- The C3 Ezra is not i686, since it doesn't support the CMOV instruction.
Yes, and no. It is i686 and it does not have cmov which means most stuff compiled for i686 fails.
Unfortunately, our x86 LiveCD is stupidly built for i686.
Besides, Gentoo does not even release any i586 stage3 anymore.
You might want to add your voice on https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-493922-highlight-.html
You have to go the way of the unsupported stage1. Use the latest minimal x86 CD.
Check the FAQ lnked from our handbook.

See my previous posts about Gentoo on a C3:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-2879934.html#2879934
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-3439979.html#3439979

Hth
neysx
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Critical C3 Ezra problems Reply with quote

elsenator wrote:
I read something about a bootstrap.sh script which should be modified somehow, but i have no idea what i'm supposed to do with it.
Forgot to answer this. You just run the script, no need to modify it. Just make sure you have defined CHOST and CFLAGS in your make.conf before you run it.

Hth
elsenator
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the answers. I just realize now, that what i posted in my original post was actually wrong. I have not used the LiveCD, but the minimal CD, and that is were i get the "illegal instruction" from chroot, so that won't work. Sorry 'bout that. I've tried with all Minimal cd's all the way back to 2005.0, and i get the same result. What i need is some kind of Bootable Linux environment with chroot compiled for i586 or less. For some reason the i386 Fedora Rescue CD won't work either, which puzzles me quite a bit, since it is supposed to be i386.

Thanks for the heads up on bootstrap.sh, that cleared things up a bit.

I've already read through the forum threads you linked Neysx, and i can't get it to work with the 2005.0 Minimal CD as it seems other people have succeeded with. I have absolutely no clue as to why it won't work for me.
neysx
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you downloaded the latest 2006.1. As mentioned the 2006-09-25 GWN, a bug that prevented the minimal x86 CD from booting on <i686 has been fixed. I can't remember which minimal CD I used, got to be an old one, but any CD that boots will do, even a non-Gentoo one.

Hth
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elsenator wrote:
I have not used the LiveCD, but the minimal CD, and that is were i get the "illegal instruction" from chroot, so that won't work. Sorry 'bout that. I've tried with all Minimal cd's all the way back to 2005.0, and i get the same result. What i need is some kind of Bootable Linux environment with chroot compiled for i586 or less. For some reason the i386 Fedora Rescue CD won't work either, which puzzles me quite a bit, since it is supposed to be i386.

Booting with a CD that is i586 compatible is only half of the puzzle. You also need a stage tarball that is compiled for i586 or less, or else you won't be able to chroot into it.
elsenator
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

neysx wrote:
Make sure you downloaded the latest 2006.1. As mentioned the 2006-09-25 GWN, a bug that prevented the minimal x86 CD from booting on <i686 has been fixed. I can't remember which minimal CD I used, got to be an old one, but any CD that boots will do, even a non-Gentoo one.

Hth

As i've explained, i've tried installing using all minimal CD's back to 2005.0, and also the very latest 2006.1. I haven't had any problems booting from the minimal CD's.
I get the same result with the "Illegal instruction" when i try to chroot intro the new environment, so for some reason, beyond my understanding, it won't work.

cyrillic wrote:

Booting with a CD that is i586 compatible is only half of the puzzle. You also need a stage tarball that is compiled for i586 or less, or else you won't be able to chroot into it.

Yes, i am aware of that. That is exactly why i am going to bootstrap the system, and recompile the toolchain. That should, as far as i know, give me a working result. Basically, it is just like making a stage1 install.
I'm starting to think that the cpu is wrecked somehow, since no <i686 seems to work with chroot either. I keep getting "Illegal instruction" no matter what boot CD i use. I've tried both Ubuntu, Gentoo minimal 2005.0-2006.1, Fedora RescueCD. None of them work.
neysx
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyrillic wrote:
Booting with a CD that is i586 compatible is only half of the puzzle. You also need a stage tarball that is compiled for i586 or less
Or more, as the C3 is.
The problem is Gentoo, well releng actually, has officially stopped supporting those machines.
An i586 stage3 would work, not released.
An i686 stage3 will not work, illegal instruction when chrooting, ask elsenator :)
An i386 stage3 blocks upgrades unless you change your CHOST and recompile all, use next option.
Stage1, not supported, but the only way at them moment.

Hth
neysx
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elsenator wrote:
I keep getting "Illegal instruction" no matter what boot CD i use. I've tried both Ubuntu, Gentoo minimal 2005.0-2006.1, Fedora RescueCD. None of them work.
It does not matter what boot CD you use. The chroot command on the Gentoo x86 Minimal CDs are compiled for i386. Your problem is not caused by a wrong chroot command, but a chroot environment that was compiled for i686. You never said so, but I suppose you used an i686 stage3.
You might try with a stage3-i586-2006.0.tar.bz2 but you'd have to upgrade everything anyway.

Hth
elsenator
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

neysx wrote:
It does not matter what boot CD you use. The chroot command on the Gentoo x86 Minimal CDs are compiled for i386. Your problem is not caused by a wrong chroot command, but a chroot environment that was compiled for i686. You never said so, but I suppose you used an i686 stage3.
You might try with a stage3-i586-2006.0.tar.bz2 but you'd have to upgrade everything anyway.

Hth

I believe you are right about that. So, basically, even though i use a <i686 boot cd with a <i686 chroot, it won't work, because the environment i'm chroot'ing into is compiled for i686 since i'm using a i686 snapshot for the base system. I thought this didn't affect anything until i actually booted into the new system. I will try using an i585 snapshot instead, hopefully that'll work. I realize that i have to compile everything from scratch, but that is the next hurdle. Right now i just wanna be able to use chroot so i can go on with the installation.
Thank you very much for your help, it is greatly appreciated!
elsenator
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

neysx wrote:

Hth

Yes! This was indeed the problem. I downloaded the x86 2006.1 minimal cd, and instead of using the 2006.1 i686 stage3 when installing, i used the 2006.0 i586 stage3 tarball. By doing this i was able to chroot into the new environment with no trouble at all. Also, i edited my make.conf to comply with the C3 Ezra, and the entire system compiled perfectly.

After that, it was time to have some fun with my new web server... This is the result:
Feel free to leave a note using the interactive link at the bottom. I'm aware that the programming sucks as of right now, but i just made it for the heck of it ;)
http://plutoo.homelinux.org
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Duplicate Threads.
See https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-12448.html#12448

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: