Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
3-4 Port SATA full length 64bit PCI card. For Alpha comp.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pa1983
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: 3-4 Port SATA full length 64bit PCI card. For Alpha comp. Reply with quote

Im looking for a SATA card that i want to use whit my Alpha machine.
*Minimum 3 sata ports.
*64bit full length pci interface.
*No hardware raid support requierd. Going to run Software raid.
*Driver support in kernel would be prefered because of Alpha CPU Architectur.

My goal is to runt 3st sata disks in raid5 on this machine.
I have allredy found a 1Gb network card whit 64bit full length pci interface and it works very well.
Thats also way I want a 64bit full length pci SATA card for best preformans.

Been locking att the Promies SX4300 but the drivers in the linux kernel seems to lack lot of support for many futures and the promise drivers from thera home page dident compile and I dident expect that thay would.

So if some on knows of a card that has what I need pleas tell me.

best regards patrik
Kloeri
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 3-4 Port SATA full length 64bit PCI card. For Alpha com Reply with quote

pa1983 wrote:
Im looking for a SATA card that i want to use whit my Alpha machine.
*Minimum 3 sata ports.
*64bit full length pci interface.
*No hardware raid support requierd. Going to run Software raid.
*Driver support in kernel would be prefered because of Alpha CPU Architectur.

Pretty much any SATA supported on x86 should also be supported on Alpha. The biggest problem is that you won't be able to boot from SATA as SRM doesn't support SATA at all. So you need to boot off a SCSI disk or a PATA disk.
pa1983
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes i know all that thats way I uses on boord SCSI kontroller and SCSI disk for OS.
Forgot to say that but the sata card and sata disks would only bee for storage not the OS or any critical system processes.
Also one reson way I wont use HW raid support.

But it seems hard to find a good sata card both HW and none HW raid wiht 64bit full length pci interface even for x86 machines. Alpha is some what more complicated becus i cant even use binerys or thos dam opensourcs fails on asambler language it seams but probebly Intel x86 specifik asambler code I think so cards not supported in the linux kernel nativly is prity usless to me.

I also need a card that is hot-swap capabel. For instans the promise TX4 32bit PCI card is not.
But the TX4310 is but I dont know if its supported by the kernel.
There is Promies SATA TX2/TX4 support in SCSI low- level drivers but not shure thay apply to TX4310.
Those cards are only 32bit half lingth cards but if I cant find a full lingth 64bit card that seems to be the only real option if the kernel supports the card nativly.
I have run softwar raids in linux before so I can sett up a software raid so no problems there.

Only need to find a good controller card whit native linux support and I would prefer 64bit full linght card but 32bit half linght would be my second option.

So any sugestions on nativly supported sata cards whit minimum 3 sata ports and 32bit half lingth or 64bit full lingth PCI interface is of intrests.

EDIT:

Found one of this card at a webshop. have what i need and hoppfully it works whit the alpha machine as good as my 64bit network card did :D
http://www.stardom.com.tw/web/pro-sata_e.htm

Sil3124 based card and very good chip acording to teh Linux SATA faq.

EDIT:
Got my PCI-X sil3124 card to day and its up and runing benching in at 29Mb/sek on a 250Gb sata drive :D Works lika a sharme :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: