View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
masterdriverz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

Location: Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Solutions to misc kde problems Reply with quote

Ok, so the kde update has cause some problems for people, and most of them have some fairly simple solutions. Heres some:

kde-env blocks kdelibs

The first thing to do is
Code:
emerge -C kde-env && emerge -1u kdelibs

Note: Stable users, try this:

Code:
emerge -C kde-env
emerge -1 kde-base/arts
emerge -1 kde-base/kdelibs
emerge -1 kde-base/kdesu
emerge -1 kde-base/kcminit

If you still get blockers, chances are you have a stale eclass in an overlay (normally /usr/local/portage/eclass/kde.eclass). Remove this and all should be good. Heres some further reading as to why having this eclass breaks things and is generally a bad idea.

Quote:
<Flameeyes> nixnut, trying to make people see the truth in simply words seems not to work
<Flameeyes> marienz, old kde.eclass used to bring in kde-env package as dependency
<Flameeyes> this was changed, kdelibs integrates data from kde-env now
<Flameeyes> and of course blocks kde-env
<Flameeyes> but then, they all have kde-env in depend because of a forked not updated eclass
<Flameeyes> and they report problems because the packages start blocking each other

Quote:
<Flameeyes> nixnut, now, you got a --enable-new-ldflags option to configure
<Flameeyes> you create an useflag to enable it
<Flameeyes> would you first try to understand what it does?
<Flameeyes> and when you see that it passes --enable-new-ldtags and --as-needed, wouldn't you try to understand what --enable-new-ldtags does?
<Flameeyes> in the case of gentoo, that ldflag is ... nothing! because it's forced on for us
<Flameeyes> so it remains --as-needed ...
<Flameeyes> for which you sure don't need to change an eclass ...

Problems with kdelibs and hidden visibility

If you find kde-related apps failing with this message:
Quote:

* You asked to enable hidden visibility, but your kdelibs was
* built without its support. Please rebuild kdelibs with the
* kdehiddenvisibility useflag enabled.

!!! ERROR: kde-base/kdebase-3.5.4-r1 failed.

then you need to reemerge Qt and kdelibs - for more info see Bug 151008 and this topic.

MAXPATHLEN errors

If you see something like this:

Quote:
checking whether byte ordering is bigendian... no
checking for MAXPATHLEN... ./configure: line 34980: syntax error near unexpected token `do'
./configure: line 34980: ` dirs=`for i in $files; do if test -d $i; then echo $i; fi; done`'

you have bash-3.2. This is currently package.masked, so remove it from your package.unmask (why the hell would you have it there anyway!?!?) or put =apps-shell/bash-3.2 in /etc/portage/package.mask and try again. For more info see here.

Undefined arts references compiling KDE libs

If you see errors like this (see xiando's post below for more examples):

Quote:
.libs/artskde.o: In function `Arts::KIOTestSlow::_Creator()':
artskde.cc:(.text+0x19fa): undefined reference to `std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::_Rep::_S_empty_rep_storage'
artskde.cc:(.text+0x1a21): undefined reference to `__gnu_cxx::__exchange_and_add(int volatile*, int)'
.libs/artskde.o: In function `Arts::KIOTestSlow_skel::KIOTestSlow_skel()':
artskde.cc:(.text+0x1b3a): undefined reference to `std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::_Rep::_S_empty_rep_storage'

you are mixing gcc version. Please recompile world (emerge -e world) with a consistent compiler and try again. For more info see here.

If you have any more solutions to common problems, please add them to this thread.

UPDATE:

14-10-06: Added MAXPATHLEN error, mixing gcc versions error
14-11-06: Updated kde-env blockers wrt stable users

Last edited by masterdriverz on Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:35 pm; edited 4 times in total
oztun
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much. I had a similar problem and following your advice I fixed it. The error I got was...

Quote:

!!! ERROR: kde-base/kdemultimedia-3.5.2-r2 failed.
Call stack:
ebuild.sh, line 1546: Called dyn_compile
ebuild.sh, line 937: Called src_compile
kdemultimedia-3.5.2-r2.ebuild, line 85: Called kde_src_compile
kde.eclass, line 164: Called kde_src_compile 'all'
kde.eclass, line 331: Called kde_src_compile 'myconf' 'configure' 'make'
kde.eclass, line 313: Called econf '--with-cdparanoia' '--with-taglib' '--with-akode' '--with-alsa' '--without-audiofile' '--with-gstreamer' '--without-xine' '--without-theora' '--without-musicbrainz' '--with-lame' '--with-vorbis' '--without-flac' '--without-akode' '--with-x' '--enable-mitshm' '--without-xinerama' '--with-qt-dir=/usr/qt/3' '--enable-mt' '--with-qt-libraries=/usr/qt/3/lib' '--disable-dependency-tracking' '--disable-debug' '--without-debug' '--disable-final' '--with-arts' '--prefix=/usr/kde/3.5' '--mandir=/usr/kde/3.5/share/man' '--infodir=/usr/kde/3.5/share/info' '--datadir=/usr/kde/3.5/share' '--sysconfdir=/usr/kde/3.5/etc'
ebuild.sh, line 540: Called die

!!! econf failed
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.

I was emerging KDE for the first time when I got the qt3 error about compiling without opengl in my make.conf. I unmerged qt and reemerged it with opengl and then kdemultimedia failed. The solution was to "emerge --unmerge kdelibs" and then "emerge kde" again. I just wanted to post this error/scenario as I can see other people following down the same path when installing kde.
masterdriverz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

Location: Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oztun wrote:
The error I got was...

Quote:

Err, theres no error here, just the call stack :wink:

Quote:
I was emerging KDE for the first time when I got the qt3 error about compiling without opengl in my make.conf. I unmerged qt and reemerged it with opengl and then kdemultimedia failed. The solution was to "emerge --unmerge kdelibs" and then "emerge kde" again. I just wanted to post this error/scenario as I can see other people following down the same path when installing kde.

Thanks.
xiando
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: .libs/addresseehelper.o compile failure Reply with quote

These arts use flags:

[ebuild R ] kde-base/arts-3.5.5 USE="alsa artswrappersuid esd jack mp3 nas vorbis xinerama -debug -kdeenablefinal -kdehiddenvisibility" 0 kB

And these kdelibs use flags:
[ebuild U ] kde-base/kdelibs-3.5.5 [3.5.4-r2] USE="alsa arts cups doc fam* spell ssl tiff xinerama -acl -debug -jpeg2k -kdeenablefinal -kdehiddenvisibility -kerberos -legacyssl -lua -noutempter -openexr -zeroconf" 0 kB

Gave me this kdelibs compile error:
Code:

./kdecore -I../../kdecore/network -I../../kdeui -I../../kio -I../../kio/kio -I../../kio/kfile -I../.. -I/usr/qt/3/include -I. -I/usr/kde/3.5/include   -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT  -D_REENTRANT  -Wno-long-long -Wundef -ansi -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=500 -D_BSD_SOURCE -Wcast-align -Wconversion -Wchar-subscripts -Wall -W -Wpointer-arith -DNDEBUG -DNO_DEBUG -O2 -march=athlon-xp -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -Wformat-security -Wmissing-format-attribute -Wno-non-virtual-dtor -fno-exceptions -fno-check-new -fno-common  -DQT_CLEAN_NAMESPACE -DQT_NO_ASCII_CAST -DQT_NO_STL -DQT_NO_COMPAT -DQT_NO_TRANSLATION  -c -o kaudiomanagerplay.lo kaudiomanagerplay.cpp
/bin/sh ../../libtool --silent --tag=CXX --mode=link i686-pc-linux-gnu-g++  -Wno-long-long -Wundef -ansi -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=500 -D_BSD_SOURCE -Wcast-align -Wconversion -Wchar-subscripts -Wall -W -Wpointer-arith -DNDEBUG -DNO_DEBUG -O2 -march=athlon-xp -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -Wformat-security -Wmissing-format-attribute -Wno-non-virtual-dtor -fno-exceptions -fno-check-new -fno-common  -DQT_CLEAN_NAMESPACE -DQT_NO_ASCII_CAST -DQT_NO_STL -DQT_NO_COMPAT -DQT_NO_TRANSLATION    -o libartskde.la -rpath /usr/kde/3.5/lib -L/usr/kde/3.5/lib -L/usr/qt/3/lib -L/usr/lib    -no-undefined -Wl,--no-undefined -Wl,--allow-shlib-undefined -version-info 3:0:2 artskde.lo kioinputstream_impl.lo kplayobject.lo kplayobjectfactory.lo kartsfloatwatch.lo kartsdispatcher.lo kaudiorecordstream.lo kaudioplaystream.lo kartsserver.lo kdatarequest_impl.lo kaudioconverter.lo kvideowidget.lo kplayobjectcreator.lo kaudiomanagerplay.lo ../../kio/libkio.la -lqtmcop -lsoundserver_idl
.libs/artskde.o: In function `Arts::KIOTestSlow::_Creator()':
artskde.cc:(.text+0x19fa): undefined reference to `std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::_Rep::_S_empty_rep_storage'
artskde.cc:(.text+0x1a21): undefined reference to `__gnu_cxx::__exchange_and_add(int volatile*, int)'
artskde.cc:(.text+0x1b3a): undefined reference to `std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::_Rep::_S_empty_rep_storage'
artskde.cc:(.text+0x1b63): undefined reference to `__gnu_cxx::__exchange_and_add(int volatile*, int)'
artskde.cc:(.text+0x1c3e): undefined reference to `std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::_Rep::_S_empty_rep_storage'
artskde.cc:(.text+0x1c67): undefined reference to `__gnu_cxx::__exchange_and_add(int volatile*, int)'
.libs/artskde.o: In function `Arts::KIOTestSlow_base::_defaultPortsIn() const':
artskde.cc:(.text+0x1d05): undefined reference to `std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::_Rep::_S_empty_rep_storage'
artskde.cc:(.text+0x1d40): undefined reference to `__gnu_cxx::__exchange_and_add(int volatile*, int)'
.libs/artskde.o: In function `Arts::KIOTestSlow_base::_fromReference(Arts::ObjectReference, bool)':
artskde.cc:(.text+0x1dcd): undefined reference to `std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::_Rep::_S_empty_rep_storage'
artskde.cc:(.text+0x1ed2): undefined reference to `std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::_Rep::_S_empty_rep_storage'
artskde.cc:(.text+0x1f25): undefined reference to `__gnu_cxx::__exchange_and_add(int volatile*, int)'
artskde.cc:(.text+0x1f55): undefined reference to `__gnu_cxx::__exchange_and_add(int volatile*, int)'
.libs/artskde.o: In function `Arts::KDataRequest::_Creator()':
artskde.cc:(.text+0x1fda): undefined reference to `std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::_Rep::_S_empty_rep_storage'
artskde.cc:(.text+0x2001): undefined reference to `__gnu_cxx::__exchange_and_add(int volatile*, int)'
.libs/artskde.o: In function `Arts::KDataRequest_skel::KDataRequest_skel()':
artskde.cc:(.text+0x20fa): undefined reference to `std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::_Rep::_S_empty_rep_storage'
artskde.cc:(.text+0x2142): undefined reference to `std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::_Rep::_S_empty_rep_storage'
artskde.cc:(.text+0x215f): undefined reference to `__gnu_cxx::__exchange_and_add(int volatile*, int)'
artskde.cc:(.text+0x2188): undefined reference to `__gnu_cxx::__exchange_and_add(int volatile*, int)'
.libs/artskde.o: In function `Arts::KDataRequest_skel::KDataRequest_skel()':
artskde.cc:(.text+0x2254): undefined reference to `std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::_Rep::_S_empty_rep_storage'
artskde.cc:(.text+0x22c4): undefined reference to `__gnu_cxx::__exchange_and_add(int volatile*, int)'

Trying kdelibs 3.5.5. with USE="-arts" gave me:

Code:

/bin/sh ../libtool --silent --tag=CXX --mode=link i686-pc-linux-gnu-g++  -Wno-long-long -Wundef -ansi -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=500 -D_BSD_SOURCE -Wcast-align -Wconversion -Wchar-subscripts -Wall -W -Wpointer-arith -DNDEBUG -DNO_DEBUG -O2 -march=athlon-xp -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -Wformat-security -Wmissing-format-attribute -Wno-non-virtual-dtor -fno-exceptions -fno-check-new -fno-common  -DQT_CLEAN_NAMESPACE -DQT_NO_ASCII_CAST -DQT_NO_STL -DQT_NO_COMPAT -DQT_NO_TRANSLATION    -o libkabc.la -rpath /usr/kde/3.5/lib -R /usr/kde/3.5/lib -R /usr/kde/3.5/lib -R /usr/qt/3/lib -R /usr/lib -L/usr/kde/3.5/lib -L/usr/qt/3/lib -L/usr/lib    -version-info 3:0:2 -no-undefined -Wl,--no-undefined -Wl,--allow-shlib-undefined address.lo addressbook.lo addressee.lo addresseedialog.lo agent.lo distributionlist.lo distributionlistdialog.lo distributionlisteditor.lo errorhandler.lo field.lo formatfactory.lo geo.lo key.lo phonenumber.lo picture.lo plugin.lo resource.lo resourceselectdialog.lo secrecy.lo sound.lo stdaddressbook.lo timezone.lo vcard21parser.lo vcardconverter.lo vcardformat.lo vcardformatimpl.lo vcardformatplugin.lo ldifconverter.lo addresslineedit.lo ldapclient.lo addresseelist.lo vcardtool.lo addresseehelper.lo lock.lo locknull.lo ldif.lo ldapurl.lo ldapconfigwidget.lo sortmode.lo addresseehelper_skel.lo vcard/libvcard.la vcardparser/libvcards.la ../kio/libkio.la ../kresources/libkresources.la
.libs/addresseehelper.o: In function `std::_Rb_tree<QString, QString, std::_Identity<QString>, std::less<QString>, std::allocator<QString> >::_M_insert(std::_Rb_tree_node_base*, std::_Rb_tree_node_base*, QString const&)':
addresseehelper.cpp:(.text._ZNSt8_Rb_treeI7QStringS0_St9_IdentityIS0_ESt4lessIS0_ESaIS0_EE9_M_insertEPSt18_Rb_
tree_node_baseS8_RKS0_[std::_Rb_tree<QString, QString, std::_Identity<QString>, std::less<QString>, std::allocator<QString> >::_M_insert(std::_Rb_tree_node_base*, std::_Rb_tree_node_base*, QString const&)]+0x70): undefined reference to `std::_Rb_tree_insert_and_rebalance(bool, std::_Rb_tree_node_base*, std::_Rb_tree_node_base*, std::_Rb_tree_node_base&)'
.libs/addresseehelper.o: In function `std::_Rb_tree<QString, QString, std::_Identity<QString>, std::less<QString>, std::allocator<QString> >::insert_unique(QString const&)':
addresseehelper.cpp:(.text._ZNSt8_Rb_treeI7QStringS0_St9_IdentityIS0_ESt4lessIS0_ESaIS0_EE13insert_uniqueERKS0
_[std::_Rb_tree<QString, QString, std::_Identity<QString>, std::less<QString>, std::allocator<QString> >::insert_unique(QString const&)]+0x5c): undefined reference to `std::_Rb_tree_decrement(std::_Rb_tree_node_base*)'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [libkabc.la] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/kdelibs-3.5.5/work/kdelibs-3.5.5/kabc'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/kdelibs-3.5.5/work/kdelibs-3.5.5/kabc'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/kdelibs-3.5.5/work/kdelibs-3.5.5'
make: *** [all] Error 2

!!! ERROR: kde-base/kdelibs-3.5.5 failed.

I'm using GCC 4.1.1.

No KDE 3.5.5 for me??

edit by nixnut: inserted some line breaks to prevent layout breakage
masterdriverz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: .libs/addresseehelper.o compile failure Reply with quote

xiando wrote:

These look like bugs, please file one.

EDIT: After talking to Flameeyes on IRC, turns out this is because of differing GCC versions. Please emerge -e world with GCC 4.1 and try and reproduce.

Last edited by masterdriverz on Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
oztun
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="masterdriverz"]
oztun wrote:
The error I got was...

Quote:

Quote:

I was referring to the first line "!!! ERROR: kde-base/kdemultimedia-3.5.2-r2 failed. " Look closely where it says error. :P
masterdriverz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oztun wrote:
oztun wrote:
The error I got was...

Quote:

masterdriverz wrote:

I was referring to the first line "!!! ERROR: kde-base/kdemultimedia-3.5.2-r2 failed. " Look closely where it says error. :P

But it doesn't say what the error is :wink: However, if you look at the 5-20 lines before this, chances are you'll see the actual error message.
marcan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After upgrading kdelibs and a couple other packages to 3.5.5 (in preparation for a full upgrade), I noticed that the kdeprint system with CUPS threw an error message at me, even though browser-based http://localhost:631 was working fine. No clue as to the cause, but the workaround is simple: configure kdeprint to use 127.0.0.1 as the print server instead of localhost (assuming you use the same computer as a local print server)
gordin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcan wrote:
After upgrading kdelibs and a couple other packages to 3.5.5 (in preparation for a full upgrade), I noticed that the kdeprint system with CUPS threw an error message at me, even though browser-based http://localhost:631 was working fine. No clue as to the cause, but the workaround is simple: configure kdeprint to use 127.0.0.1 as the print server instead of localhost (assuming you use the same computer as a local print server)

This solved the problem for me, thanks
rmunsch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Solutions to misc kde problems Reply with quote

masterdriverz wrote:
Ok, so the kde update has cause some problems for people, and most of them have some fairly simple solutions. Heres some:

kde-env blocks kdelibs

The first thing to do is
Code:

If you still get blockers, chances are you have a stale eclass in an overlay (normally /usr/local/portage/eclass/kde.eclass). Remove this and all should be good.

I did precisely this and broke everything. I must have misunderstood something. The emerge -C kde-env worked, but the emerge -1u kdelibs never went off, so i tried doing it by hand:
Code:

root@randomaccess ~ # emerge -1u kdelibs
Calculating dependencies
!!! ERROR: kde-base/kdelibs-3.5.3-r4 failed.
Call stack:
  ebuild.sh, line 1454:   Called source '/usr/portage/kde-base/kdelibs/kdelibs-3.5.3-r4.ebuild'
  kdelibs-3.5.3-r4.ebuild, line 5:   Called inherit 'kde' 'flag-o-matic' 'eutils' 'multilib'
  ebuild.sh, line 1189:   Called die

!!! kde.eclass could not be found by inherit()

I came to this thread 'cause, as flameeyes says, all kde starts blocking each other on my system no matter what I do.
How do i restore this, nothing of kde will emerge now :oops: :roll: :lol:
masterdriverz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Solutions to misc kde problems Reply with quote

rmunsch wrote:
I did precisely this and broke everything. I must have misunderstood something. The emerge -C kde-env worked, but the emerge -1u kdelibs never went off, so i tried doing it by hand:
Code:
root@randomaccess ~ # emerge -1u kdelibs
Calculating dependencies
!!! ERROR: kde-base/kdelibs-3.5.3-r4 failed.
Call stack:
  ebuild.sh, line 1454:   Called source '/usr/portage/kde-base/kdelibs/kdelibs-3.5.3-r4.ebuild'
  kdelibs-3.5.3-r4.ebuild, line 5:   Called inherit 'kde' 'flag-o-matic' 'eutils' 'multilib'
  ebuild.sh, line 1189:   Called die

!!! kde.eclass could not be found by inherit()

Err, something dodgy's gone on there, try re-syncing. If you deleted /usr/portage/eclass/kde.eclass in reference to this:

Quote:
If you still get blockers, chances are you have a stale eclass in an overlay (normally /usr/local/portage/eclass/kde.eclass). Remove this and all should be good.

then you did it wrong :wink: however, a sync should fix this
rmunsch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Solutions to misc kde problems Reply with quote

masterdriverz wrote:

Err, something dodgy's gone on there, try re-syncing. If you deleted /usr/portage/eclass/kde.eclass in reference to this:

Quote:

Yeah, that was all me. I resynced and All now seems Well. Thanks.

I'm still not sure why i get things like "kdegraphics is blocking <every damn package in kdegraphics>", tho.
masterdriverz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Solutions to misc kde problems Reply with quote

rmunsch wrote:
I'm still not sure why i get things like "kdegraphics is blocking <every damn package in kdegraphics>", tho.

kdegraphics is a monolithic package, use kdegraphics-meta to pull in <every damn package in kdegraphics>
StifflerStealth
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These look like really great tips. :) Thanks for compiling a list of them. I have one that you might want to add to the list or not. It involves confcache and hiddenvisibility. I had this issue a while back. hiddenvisibility would never get enabled because confcache produced false positives to the configuration of kdelibs, thus the correct file was never installed to say that hidden visibility was enabled, so all the other programs failed to install. The solution was to disable confcache. I have since removed it and not that it is masked, I don't know if others will have this issue. :P

Thanks again for taking the time to list these solutions.

Cheers.
alchemyx
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another tip - if kde-meta fails to emerge because it doesn't find Qt it may be because of some remaining packages from kde (I had kde-env and few others).
jakobdettner
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gordin wrote:
marcan wrote:

This solved the problem for me, thanks

This didnt work for me. I still geht the message:
Unable to retrieve the printer list. Error message received from manager:
Connection to CUPS server failed. Check that the CUPS server is correctly installed and running. Error: the IPP request failed for an unknown reason.

Where exactly did you change localhost to 127.0.0.1? In /etc/cups/cupsd.conf ? Or where in kdeprint?
gordin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jakobdettner wrote:
Where exactly did you change localhost to 127.0.0.1? In /etc/cups/cupsd.conf ? Or where in kdeprint?

You have to change the value in kdeprint. Go to kdecontrollcenter->Peripherals->Printers
Choose "Configure Manager" from the toolbar (if the toolbar isn't there you have to activate it with "right click->show toolbar" in the printerlist).
In the manager select the section "CUPS Server" from the list on the left side. Change "Host" to 127.0.0.1
jakobdettner
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gordin wrote:
jakobdettner wrote:

You have to change the value in kdeprint. Go to kdecontrollcenter->Peripherals->Printers
Choose "Configure Manager" from the toolbar (if the toolbar isn't there you have to activate it with "right click->show toolbar" in the printerlist).
In the manager select the section "CUPS Server" from the list on the left side. Change "Host" to 127.0.0.1

thx for your help but its still not working. I tried what u said and changed the field "Host" of the configure manager from "/var/run/cups/cups.sock" to "127.0.0.1". I also tried "localhost" and the machine name. I still get this when pressing ok:
Code:
Unable to retrieve the printer list. Error message received from manager:
Connection to CUPS server failed. Check that the CUPS server is correctly installed and running. Error: the IPP request failed for an unknown reason.

in /var/log/cups/error_log i have no errors. Only in /var/log/cups/access_log i get this several times when i try to open kdeprint:
Code:
localhost - - [01/Nov/2006:13:51:48 +0000] "POST /printers/ HTTP/1.1" 200 112 CUPS-Get-Printers client-error-not-found
superfes
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:57 am    Post subject: Undefined reference to __exchange_and_add Reply with quote

The fix for this was rather simple, there was a libstdc++.so, libstdc++.so.5 & libstdc++.so.5.0.? in my /usr/lib directory, after removing that it now compiles just fine.

Don't know where it came from, but it's gone now and builds are working again, prolly something to do with the recent GCC upgrade.
jakobdettner
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Undefined reference to __exchange_and_add Reply with quote

superfes wrote:
The fix for this was rather simple, there was a libstdc++.so, libstdc++.so.5 & libstdc++.so.5.0.? in my /usr/lib directory, after removing that it now compiles just fine.

Don't know where it came from, but it's gone now and builds are working again, prolly something to do with the recent GCC upgrade.

I unmerged sys-libs/libstdc++-v3 so i only got:
Code:
jake_core2 jdettner # find /usr/lib | grep -i libstdc++.so
/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.1/libstdc++.so.6.0.8
/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.1/libstdc++.so.6
/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.1/libstdc++.so
jake_core2 jdettner #

then i reemerged cups and kdeprint, restarted the cupsdeamon but still got the same error-message.
mroconnor
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having the same issue. The crappy part of it all is I only print like 6 times a year! :(
I too have /usr/lib/libstdc++-v3/libstdc++.so.5 and /usr/lib/libstdc++-v3/libstdc++.so.5.0.7. Of course I am hesitant to remove them, but I can l aways revdep-rebuild later.

Hope some one has a fix for this.

Cheers,
Marc
masterdriverz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try emerge -C =gcc-3*
jakobdettner
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

masterdriverz wrote:
Try emerge -C =gcc-3*

jake_core2 jdettner # emerge -C =gcc-3* -avt

>>> These are the packages that would be unmerged:

--- Couldn't find '=gcc-3*' to unmerge.

>>> No packages selected for removal by unmerge.

jake_core2 jdettner #
wolfger
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Solutions to misc kde problems Reply with quote

masterdriverz wrote:

Quote:

I made a similar mistake, but had the presence of mind to 'mv kde.eclass kde.eclass.old' rather than delete it... Problem here is, unmerging kde-env and one-shot-ing kdelibs did not solve the problem for me, and /usr/local/portage doesn't exist on my system...
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Solutions to misc kde problems Reply with quote

wolfger wrote:

I made a similar mistake, but had the presence of mind to 'mv kde.eclass kde.eclass.old' rather than delete it... Problem here is, unmerging kde-env and one-shot-ing kdelibs did not solve the problem for me, and /usr/local/portage doesn't exist on my system...

I had no overlays either, and after running the suggested:

Code:

I still got blockers. However after re-syncing it worked fine. Maybe my original sync caught the mirror when it still had some sort of dependency on kde-env(??).

Tom
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: