install on ultrasparc 10
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
howlingmadhowie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: install on ultrasparc 10 Reply with quote

well, i got gentoo running on an ultrasparc 10 :)

yuu-huu!

very important: make sure the kernel is compiled correctly, it must support the hard disk controller you're using (look in /var/log/messages to find this) and also framebuffer support has moved in menuconfig for 2.6.17 (or the documentation is quite confusing here). if you don't activate it in the kernel, you won't be able to see anything when you reboot :)

now i've just written a short program in c to check how fast the computer is (the bogomips is none too encouraging).
basically the program finds the xth prime number. i've found a 440MHz ultra 10 is about a quarter as fast as a 700MHz pentium III, so i'm probably doing something wrong here. are there some options for gcc one should use? i tried the typical -O3 but it didn't have any noticeable effect (pretty much what you'd expect for a program of this complexity). although i don't intend to use an ultrasparc 10 for number crunching, any hints would be welcome.

(strangely, the pentium III is faster than my athlon 64)
pa1983
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Sparc is a special CPU like my Alpha. Good on som operations bad at orhers. my Alpha EV56 500Mhz is very slow on interger. probebly my K6-2 400mzh is equaly fast but floting points my Alpha is as fast as a P3 1Ghz in SuperPi benchmark for instans.

But Sparc what I know and I hade the opertunity to bench on in compiling once agens my former workstation whit dual 1.8@1.95Ghz Opterons VS I think it was 2 or 4 800mzh Sparc IIIi CPUs and well I culd have compiled the same app 3-4 times over before thay where even close to finish. Think I did it under 40 sek and thay tock like 2-3 min or so.

So not very fast no but still thay are probebly good at sertent tasks but havent realy look in to the Sparc computers that mutch.
howlingmadhowie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gentoo worked great :) even the Xserver worked a charm :)

so i deleted it and tried to install open solaris (one loves a challenge, and the lack of an internet connection makes gentoo quite long-winded (the ping when using apt-get is about 2 and a half hours in sneaker net)).

anyway, i have a question to this opensolaris thing. i know this has very little to do with gentoo, but the regulars at sonnenblen.de haven't been able to help me, as it's sort of half-GNUlinux / half-sun.

when i try to install open-solaris, the installation programm stops and throws me back to a shell (ksh) saying that there isn't a hard-drive installed, or that it isn't correctly formatted. solaris has the program 'format' in /sbin to deal with cases like this. so i try to format the hard drive (which it can find under the catchy name c0t0d0), but the program refuses to format the drive, saying it is still in use. /etc/mnttab (/etc/mtab for open solaris) doesn't agree with this assertion.

now i can format the harddrive with no difficulties using fdisk under GNU/linux, but the formatting is not recognised by solaris (despite sun partition and label).

the question is, does anyone know what's going wrong? the people at sonnenblen.de mentioned something about my obp being too old, which i suppose is possible. the trouble is, when i got the computer, i installed open solaris on it without a problem (and then deleted it because i didn't have a mouse and i wanted to try out gentoo). am i over looking something basic here?

any suggestions are very welcome

howie

------edit------

sometimes the whole world seems to conspire against me. the problem is the ide controller which doesn't like this drive. i just swapped in an old ide i happened to have lying around, and the installation worked a charm. however i am not impressed with solaris 10, so i'll install gentoo again (solaris 10 doesn't seem to come with a c compiler! please someone tell me that i've overlooked something...)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: