Configuring fstab.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raid517
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 3:05 pm    Post subject: Configuring fstab. Reply with quote

Hi I'm nearly finished installing Gentoo. It looks good for a first attempt. However before I reboot and try it out for real I want to make sure i've got everything exactly as it should be. Unfortunately I am a bit of a Linux n00b and I am a bit concerened if I have got my fstab done in the correct formula. Please can someone advise if the following layout is correct:

/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 NTFS 0 0
/dev/hdb2 /boot ext3 noauto,noatime 1 1
/dev/hb1 / ReiserFS noatime 0 0
/dev/hdb3 swap sw 0 0
/dev/hdb5 /mnt/hdb5 ext2 noatime 0 0
/dev/hdb6 /mnt/hdb6 NTFS 0 0
/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy vfat 0 0
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0 /mnt/cdrom iso9660 noauto,ro 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0

I left the bit about temp files untouched.

I'm a bit confused by the CDROM entry, because looking in /dev in the Gentoo directory I can't see any mention of CDROM, or of any sub directory called CDROMS. Also I'm worried that when I reboot (since I'm using the Knoppix CD to install Gentoo) that the devices will change, so that dev/hda1 might become dev/hda and device hdb1 might become dev/hdb.

I can confirm that the partition table above, as it currently stands (at least when I type "mount" at the knoppix command) is accurate. These are the devices and partitions I have. In addition I have an external 120 Gig USB 2.0 HDD that is formated in NTFS. Ideally I would like this and all my drives mounted automatically at boot time. (If its of any concequence to anyone I compiled Supermount support into the kernel). How do i achieve any, or all of these objectives? I have tried reading the install Guide. Unfortunately for a n00b like me, it isn't as clear as it could be.

Regards,

Q
peterk0
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Configuring fstab. Reply with quote

Well, everything looks ok, except this one line, which seems to be pretty important =)

raid517 wrote:

/dev/hb1 / ReiserFS noatime 0 0

every disk partition has to be in /dev/hdXY format...
where X is from {a,b,c,d} depending on your configuration
and Y {1-8} ...

Maybe it's just a typo, but i'm almost sure it should be

Code:
/dev/hdb1      /      ReiserFS   noatime         0 0

Let me know...
raid517
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, thanks it was a typo... :) Thanks for spotting that.... What about an entry for my USB 2.0 ntfs hardrive? will the come under /dev/sda (for special device "a" I presume?) Also the CDROM thing is still a bit of a mystery... Is it normal that at this stage there is no mention in /dev. And lastly will my devices all remain the same and in the same order once I boot out of Knoppix and into Gentoo?

You have no idea how helpful this community has been in getting me this far.... :)

Q

PS,

I have just had a problem with Grub. I tried to get Grub to write my MBR which is dev/hda1 (or in Grub speak (hd0,0) but since I am in Knoppix I don't think my hard disk is mounted there. Anyway Grub crapped out with a wierd message, "cant mount that partition", or words very much to that effect... So either it cant write to the NTFS partition (Which doesn't make sense since Mandrake and redhat could) or it cant see it... yet. When I do umount /devi/hda1 n the Knoppix command prompt I get

umount: /mnt/hda1: device is busy

and when I try try to use the Gentoo command promt to mount /dev/hda1 I get:

/dev/hda1 already mounted or /mnt/hda1 busy

The point being that if Grub cant see the drive, maybe i should try and mount it so it can be seen...

Unfortunatly I'm not too sure how to do that, or how to get past these 'device busy' messages. My NTFS hd hda1 is indeed still mounted in Knoppix and I don't seem able to unmount it. I wonder if I could would this solve the device busy messages?

Q

Last edited by raid517 on Mon Jun 09, 2003 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
peterk0
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all your MBR is not your first partition on your /dev/hda so it's NOT /dev/hda1.
Your MBR is in grub speak (hd0) so if you're setting up a grub and what it installed on your MBR (which is good idea in general) it's once again hd0 or /dev/hda.
BUT i have noticed that your entire Gentoo istalation is on the /dev/hdb disk so its a good idea to install Grub on the MBR of that hard drive.
So it'll be
Code:
(hd1)

in Grub lanquage

About this unmount issues, when kernel says your partition is busy than you have to leave this particular mountpoint on each console and program, and it should work.

Also about writing to your NTFS partition, generaly IT'S NOT A GOOD IDEA TO WRITE ON YOUR NTFS PARTITION UNDER LINUX...
because it's only experimental and should do some serious damage...
But if you really have to, than there have to be a feature compiled in your kernel and i'm assuming that it isn't in common knoppix kernel. (not really sure about knoppix kernel features :? )
raid517
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm... well its getting a tad clearer...

But I did what you said... indeed this is exactly what I did...

grub> root (hd1,0)
Filesystem type is reiserfs, partition type 0x83

grub> setup (hd1)
Checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists... no
Checking if "/grub/stage1" exists... no

Error 15: File not found

As you can see from the table above Reiserfs is indeed my main Linux /root file system. My boot partition is formatted in ext3 and I have a fairy generous swap partition. I am trying hard to understand what you are telling me - and I do want to understand, but after 72 hours of going at this, with seemingly endless hours of compiling I trust you'll forgive me for just wanting this to be finished now.

So if you could could you give it to me straight, becuase what your telling me is different from what someone else told me which was.:

Code:
hda1 (hd0,0)
hdb1 (hd1,0)
hdb2 (hd1,1)
hdb3 (hd1,2)
hdb5 (hd1,4)
hdb6 (hd1,5)

This at least seemed to help me/grub find my root partition. But what you said I should do to write to my MBR only caused the above errors... I am so close to finishing this I can almost taste it, but I just need that one last piece of code that will write to my MBR and then I willl be done. I do not want to quit the Gentoo install process until I am sure everything has been done exactly as prescribed. I do not want to have to go through this process again. (Well not at least for a few months anyway).

Once more thanks for all the great advice.

Q
peterk0
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THIS IS OK !
raid517 wrote:

So if you could could you give it to me straight, becuase what your telling me is different from what someone else told me which was.:

Code:
hda1 (hd0,0)
hdb1 (hd1,0)
hdb2 (hd1,1)
hdb3 (hd1,2)
hdb5 (hd1,4)
hdb6 (hd1,5)

This at least seemed to help me/grub find my root partition. But what you said I should do to write to my MBR only caused the above errors... I am so close to finishing this I can almost taste it, but I just need that one last piece of code that will write to my MBR and then I willl be done. I do not want to quit the Gentoo install process until I am sure everything has been done exactly as prescribed. I do not want to have to go through this process again. (Well not at least for a few months anyway).

This command in Grub
Code:
 grub>root (hd1,0)

Is bad because it should't be your root partition, but your BOOT partition which will be ROOT partition for Grub.
So here we go :

Code:
 grub>root (hd1,1)
grub> setup (hd1)

And also make shure your /dev/hdb2 (your /boot) is set bootable in fdisk.
GL and LMK :roll:
TheQuickBrownFox
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're missing some fields. For example:

Code:
/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 NTFS 0 0

should be
Code:
/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 NTFS defaults 0 0

and
Code:
/dev/hdb6 /mnt/hdb6 NTFS 0 0
/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy vfat 0 0

should be
Code:

/dev/hdb6 /mnt/hdb6 NTFS defaults 0 0
/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy vfat defaults 0 0

and lastly
Code:

/dev/hdb3 swap sw 0 0

should be

Code:

/dev/hdb3 none swap sw 0 0

raid517
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. At the moment though, But what I'm really intersted in right now is a way to automatically mount all my drives/partitions during boot time, which would for me be a bit of a linux novelty. I've been browsing a Debian how to and I read something about the noauto command allowing me to do this (I of course wouldn't want to mount any very sensitive partitions). How would a line for say my external USB 2.0 hardrive appear if I wanted it to be autromatically made available as soon as my computer starts, and is the same process for all my disks?

Q
bobby_j
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

though im not exactly sure about your USB/NTFS concerns (never had a usb storage device and i avoid ntfs since you cant write to it.

from the mount man page:
Code:

defaults
Use default options: rw, suid, dev, exec, auto, nouser, and async.

so if you dont pass any options to it, and use defaults, it will be mounted automatically. I fear that it being USB might be part of the problem. I thought usb storage devices used some weird scsi emulation but i might be totally wrong. anyway, good luck.
raid517
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind. In a fit of anger because I wasn't getting anywhere I just scrubbed the whole lot, nearly 4 days solid work and opted to try again. Only thing is now when I try to unpack the gentoo live CD stage 1 tarball I get a ton of errors saying that 1000's of directories its looking for are missing and therefore it can't unpack. So now I can't even get past the first step anymore lol...I even did the tar -xvjpf /mnt/cdrom/gentoo/stage?-*.tbz2 thingy, and it said something about including the P option. I noted there was a P in the term so I thought I was good to go.

Oh I don't know... maybe I should have just stuck to RedHat...

Q
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: