Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Broken libs but revdep-rebuild says system consistent!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Broken libs but revdep-rebuild says system consistent! Reply with quote

Hi.

A picture is worth a thousand speeches:
Code:
Checking dynamic linking consistency...
  broken /usr/lib/bonobo/libnautilus-printers-view.la (requires /usr/lib/libnautilus.la)
  broken /usr/lib/libmpeg2encpp.la (requires /usr/lib/libmjpegutils.la)
  broken /usr/lib/libmplex2.la (requires /usr/lib/libmjpegutils.la)
  broken /usr/lib/libnautilus-private.la (requires /usr/lib/libhowl.la)
 done.
  (/root/.revdep-rebuild.3_rebuild)

Assigning files to ebuilds... done.
  (/root/.revdep-rebuild.4_ebuilds)

Evaluating package order... done.
  (/root/.revdep-rebuild.5_order)

Dynamic linking on your system is consistent... All done.

A bug? What do I need to rebuild? Packages containing the broken parts or the ones in parentheses?
evoweiss
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken libs but revdep-rebuild says system consistent! Reply with quote

VinzC wrote:
A bug? What do I need to rebuild? Packages containing the broken parts or the ones in parentheses?

I'm nearly certain it's the packages with the broken parts as they need to be rebuilt against your new libraries. If that doesn't do the trick, I found that, after updating to gcc-4.1.1 two of my packages were screwed up in such manner. The first was R (a statistics program) which was not totally cleaned up when it was rebuilt. As a result, parts of R that were linked to the earlier libraries stayed behind and would set off revdep-rebuild. The other case was Imagemagik. The solution was to unemerge R and Imagemagik and to manually delete the remaining libraries. I then rebuild R and Imagemagick and all was well again!

Good luck!

Alex
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. It also appeared after I upgraded GCC to 4.1 - hell, that compiler is a nightmare ;-) .

I'll try what you suggested. I'll post my feedback when I get further.
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like these files do not belong to any packages; they're orphan. I don't know how come it could happen especially on Gentoo 8O . I've removed them. I've then run revdep-rebuild once again and it reported the system is consistent.

Finally there seems to be no bug, just a misinterpretation of what revdep-rebuild reports. Yet I think the tool could be enhanced so as to report orphan libraries.
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been living with this one for some time, and I guess it's because I build monolithic kde with the -arts USE flag, and without the kdeedu, kdegames, kdetoys, and kdewebdev packages. It never causes any problems, as I don't use noatun or anything that uses libartskde.

However, if I went with the kde split ebuilds next time I update kde, would I be able to get rid of this stuff? Not having a clean revdep-rebuild just plain annoys me. :wink:

Code:
Checking dynamic linking consistency...
  broken /usr/kde/3.5/lib/kde3/khotkeys_arts.la (requires /usr/kde/3.5/lib/libartskde.la)
  broken /usr/kde/3.5/lib/kde3/konq_sound.la (requires /usr/kde/3.5/lib/libartskde.la)
  broken /usr/kde/3.5/lib/kde3/konqsidebar_mediaplayer.la (requires /usr/kde/3.5/lib/libartskde.la)
  broken /usr/kde/3.5/lib/kde3/krec.la (requires /usr/kde/3.5/lib/libartskde.la)
  broken /usr/kde/3.5/lib/kde3/libkaboodlepart.la (requires /usr/kde/3.5/lib/libartskde.la)
  broken /usr/kde/3.5/lib/kde3/noatun.la (requires /usr/kde/3.5/lib/libartskde.la)
  broken /usr/kde/3.5/lib/kde3/noatun_dcopiface.la (requires /usr/kde/3.5/lib/libartskde.la)
  broken /usr/kde/3.5/lib/kde3/noatun_excellent.la (requires /usr/kde/3.5/lib/libartskde.la)
  broken /usr/kde/3.5/lib/kde3/noatun_htmlexport.la (requires /usr/kde/3.5/lib/libartskde.la)
  broken /usr/kde/3.5/lib/kde3/noatun_infrared.la (requires /usr/kde/3.5/lib/libartskde.la)
  broken /usr/kde/3.5/lib/kde3/noatun_kaiman.la (requires /usr/kde/3.5/lib/libartskde.la)
  broken /usr/kde/3.5/lib/kde3/noatun_keyz.la (requires /usr/kde/3.5/lib/libartskde.la)
  broken /usr/kde/3.5/lib/kde3/noatun_kjofol.la (requires /usr/kde/3.5/lib/libartskde.la)
  broken /usr/kde/3.5/lib/kde3/noatun_marquis.la (requires /usr/kde/3.5/lib/libartskde.la)
  broken /usr/kde/3.5/lib/kde3/noatun_metatag.la (requires /usr/kde/3.5/lib/libartskde.la)
  broken /usr/kde/3.5/lib/kde3/noatun_monoscope.la (requires /usr/kde/3.5/lib/libartskde.la)
  broken /usr/kde/3.5/lib/kde3/noatun_net.la (requires /usr/kde/3.5/lib/libartskde.la)
  broken /usr/kde/3.5/lib/kde3/noatun_splitplaylist.la (requires /usr/kde/3.5/lib/libartskde.la)
  broken /usr/kde/3.5/lib/kde3/noatun_systray.la (requires /usr/kde/3.5/lib/libartskde.la)
  broken /usr/kde/3.5/lib/kde3/noatun_ui.la (requires /usr/kde/3.5/lib/libartskde.la)
  broken /usr/kde/3.5/lib/kde3/noatun_voiceprint.la (requires /usr/kde/3.5/lib/libartskde.la)
  broken /usr/kde/3.5/lib/kde3/noatun_winskin.la (requires /usr/kde/3.5/lib/libartskde.la)
  broken /usr/kde/3.5/lib/kde3/noatunsimple.la (requires /usr/kde/3.5/lib/libartskde.la)
  broken /usr/kde/3.5/lib/libartscontrolapplet.la (requires /usr/kde/3.5/lib/libartskde.la)
  broken /usr/kde/3.5/lib/libartscontrolsupport.la (requires /usr/kde/3.5/lib/libartskde.la)
  broken /usr/kde/3.5/lib/libkdeinit_krec.la (requires /usr/kde/3.5/lib/libartskde.la)
  broken /usr/kde/3.5/lib/libkdeinit_noatun.la (requires /usr/kde/3.5/lib/libartskde.la)
  broken /usr/kde/3.5/lib/libnoatun.la (requires /usr/kde/3.5/lib/libartskde.la)
  broken /usr/kde/3.5/lib/libnoatuntags.la (requires /usr/kde/3.5/lib/libartskde.la)
  broken /usr/lib/kde3/libk3bartsoutputplugin.la (requires /usr/kde/3.5/lib/libartsc.la)
 done.
  (/root/.revdep-rebuild.3_rebuild)

Assigning files to ebuilds... done.
  (/root/.revdep-rebuild.4_ebuilds)

Evaluating package order... done.
  (/root/.revdep-rebuild.5_order)

Dynamic linking on your system is consistent... All done.
gentoo wrc #                                 

OpenRC Gentoo ~amd64 plasma, glibc-2.36-r7, gcc-13.2.1_p20230304
kernel-6.8.4 USE=experimental python3_11
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrc1944 wrote:
I've been living with this one for some time, and I guess it's because I build monolithic kde with the -arts USE flag, and without the kdeedu, kdegames, kdetoys, and kdewebdev packages. It never causes any problems, as I don't use noatun or anything that uses libartskde.

However, if I went with the kde split ebuilds next time I update kde, would I be able to get rid of this stuff? Not having a clean revdep-rebuild just plain annoys me. :wink:
[...]

I'd say trust Gentoo for handling dependencies in a smart way. You might have to revdep-rebuild once the modular kde is built.
kallamej
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Portage & Programming to Duplicate Threads in favour of topic 495514, post 3563723 in particular.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: