ACCESS DENIED access_wr: / on almost everything! [Solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DieselPower
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:24 am    Post subject: ACCESS DENIED access_wr: / on almost everything! [Solved] Reply with quote

I was going to update an old server that gets kinda neglected but ran into this on almost everything. Where should I start? I cant even emerge sandbox anymore! Should I downgrade portage untill I get the rest of system updated? I think this started with a portage upgrade but I'm not sure.

Code:

>>> Emerging (1 of 1) sys-apps/sandbox-1.2.17 to /
 * sandbox-1.2.17.tar.bz2 MD5 ;-) ...                                                                                                                          [ ok ]
 * sandbox-1.2.17.tar.bz2 RMD160 ;-) ...                                                                                                                       [ ok ]
 * sandbox-1.2.17.tar.bz2 SHA1 ;-) ...                                                                                                                         [ ok ]
 * sandbox-1.2.17.tar.bz2 SHA256 ;-) ...                                                                                                                       [ ok ]
 * sandbox-1.2.17.tar.bz2 size ;-) ...                                                                                                                         [ ok ]
 * checking ebuild checksums ;-) ...                                                                                                                           [ ok ]
 * checking auxfile checksums ;-) ...                                                                                                                          [ ok ]
 * checking miscfile checksums ;-) ...                                                                                                                         [ ok ]
 * checking sandbox-1.2.17.tar.bz2 ;-) ...                                                                                                                     [ ok ]
>>> Unpacking source...
>>> Unpacking sandbox-1.2.17.tar.bz2 to /var/tmp/portage/sandbox-1.2.17/work
>>> Source unpacked.
>>> Compiling source in /var/tmp/portage/sandbox-1.2.17/work/sandbox-1.2.17 ...
 * If configure fails with a 'cannot run C compiled programs' error, try this:
 * FEATURES=-sandbox emerge sandbox
ACCESS DENIED  access_wr: /
 * Configuring sandbox for ABI=default...
 * econf: updating sandbox-1.2.17/config.guess with /usr/share/gnuconfig/config.guess
 * econf: updating sandbox-1.2.17/config.sub with /usr/share/gnuconfig/config.sub
../sandbox-1.2.17//configure --prefix=/usr --host=i386-pc-linux-gnu --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var/lib --libdir=/usr/lib --build=i386-pc-linux-gnu
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
//cut//
creating libsandbox.la
(cd .libs && rm -f libsandbox.la && ln -s ../libsandbox.la libsandbox.la)
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/sandbox-1.2.17/work/build-default-i386-pc-linux-gnu/src'
make[2]: Entering directory `/var/tmp/portage/sandbox-1.2.17/work/build-default-i386-pc-linux-gnu'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all-am'.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/sandbox-1.2.17/work/build-default-i386-pc-linux-gnu'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/sandbox-1.2.17/work/build-default-i386-pc-linux-gnu'
>>> Source compiled.
--------------------------- ACCESS VIOLATION SUMMARY ---------------------------
LOG FILE = "/var/log/sandbox/sandbox-sys-apps_-_sandbox-1.2.17-18295.log"

access_wr: /
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
northstar ~ # cat LOG FILE = "/var/log/sandbox/sandbox-sys-apps_-_sandbox-1.2.17-18295.log
>
northstar ~ # cat /var/log/sandbox/sandbox-sys-apps_-_sandbox-1.2.17-18295.log
access_wr: /

I have it my way no matter what, and I build it every time, 'cause they don't sell them that way. A genius is always has what he wants, but a rich person does not. I'm a rich kid with no money! That's why I chose Gentoo...

Last edited by DieselPower on Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be that the old version of sandbox you've already got installed isn't compatible with the new version of portage.

Maybe try uninstalling sandbox then installing this new version.
DieselPower
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was to scared to unmerge sandbox, so I downgraded to portage-2.0.51.22-r3, emerged sandbox, and upgraded to portage-2.2.1 and it's all fixed! thanks!
I have it my way no matter what, and I build it every time, 'cause they don't sell them that way. A genius is always has what he wants, but a rich person does not. I'm a rich kid with no money! That's why I chose Gentoo...
dgorski
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

# FEATURES=-sandbox emerge sandbox

seems to be a pretty easy way to get round the issue (worked for me).

- Darrin
Kravlor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This worked for me as well. Many thanks from a long-time Linux, but short-term Gentoo, user!
makenoob
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dgorski wrote:

seems to be a pretty easy way to get round the issue (worked for me).

- Darrin

worked for me, too.
rafo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The `FEATURES=-sandbox emerge sandbox' trick worked for me too. My intention is to upgrade a server that has been running with no updates for around 9 months and I was stuck when trying to emerge gcc (following the GCC Upgrade Guide of course). Right now gcc-4.1.1 is actually being emerged.

For me this would have been a showstopper if I hadn't found this forum thread. Would there be any point in filing a bug? I mean, can this particular problem be "corrected" so that it doesn't strike again in, say, another 9 months?

Or, is this just the kind of minor annoyances that one has to live with in a source-based and incrementally upgradable (and in general very satisfying) distribution?
DieselPower
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rafo wrote:

Or, is this just the kind of minor annoyances that one has to live with in a source-based and incrementally upgradable (and in general very satisfying) distribution?

I think if we keep our boxes more up to date we would not have these problems :wink:
43r05p4c3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure, but if the latest version of sandbox were listed as a dependency that was needed before other files, wouldn't that fix this problem?

Steve
rex123
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is definitely a bug. There's nothing in the Gentoo handbook that says "if you don't upgrade once a month, it's your own fault if emerge stops working". I take good care of a Gentoo machine, and only upgrade the things that need upgrading, when they need upgrading. I always upgrade portage whenever I sync, so now I've found myself with a non-working emerge command without any warning, and without any feeling of "oh, I should have known about that".

Thanks for the forum thread - but without it I would be extremely annoyed by this problem.
winston_nolan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:

This worked for me!
This is why i love gentoo forums! what a great source of knowlege! You can solve many problems by coming to this cool webspace!
Thank you for the advice, have a lovely day guys!

Winston

Please add [solved] to the initial post's subject line if you feel your problem is resolved.
Have a great day!
alexlm78
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot, very usefull infomation.

For works in this way:

Code:
# emerge -C sandbox
# emerge sandbox
# emerge sandbox
# emerge portage

it geme a little advisors but nothig important.

Thanks again.

Linux User# 315201
100% Chapin hecho en Guatemala
kallamej
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Portage & Programming to Duplicate Threads in favour of topic 496043.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: