View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dreadhead
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can write the conf file on your own. First get sure the Ir receiver is recognized. load the right module (I don't know whitch one, you have to find out) and look for /dev/lirc/0. If you can find this file, cat it and press some keys on the remote. If you get any output you can begin setting up the lircd.conf.
marco007
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tried emerge lirc with lirc_devices->irdeo_remote,inputlirc,irdeo ,inputlirc,irreal,imon,avermedia,kworld and flyvideo
and i get no signal :? (cat dev/lirc/0)
tv-card http://www.pcdirectsource.com/Item.cfm?ID=1820
sidious
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lirc won't work on my laptop (Acer Extensa 3001 WLMi)
I emerged lirc with sir modul, downloaded the config-file for my RC an saved it to /etc/lircd.conf

dmesg after modprobe lirc_sir
Code:

lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, at major 61
lirc_dev: lirc_register_plugin: sample_rate: 0
lirc_sir: I/O port 0x03e8, IRQ 4.
lirc_sir: Installed.

ls -l /dev/lirc/0
Code:

crw-rw---- 1 root root 61, 0 23. Sep 12:07 /dev/lirc/0

/usr/sbin/lircd -d /dev/lirc/0 -H default -n
Code:

lircd-0.8.0[6221]: lircd(sir) ready

cat /dev/lirc/0 shows nothing when I press any button on the RC

irw /dev/lirc/0 fails with:
Code:

connect: Connection refused

irw without options works, the deamon says
Code:

lircd-0.8.0[6221]: accepted new client on /dev/lircd

but nothing happens pressing buttons on the RC... :cry:

same with modul lirc_serial, just dmesg differs after loading the modul
Code:
lirc_serial: auto-detected active low receiver

I tried kernel 2.6.17-gentoo-r8 and vanilla-2.6.17.11
lirc-0.8.0-r5

any ideas?
twipsta
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am getting the same problem, and have tried everything I can find online, gone thru countless HOWTO's (including the ones in gentoo-wiki) and have spent almost a whole week trying to nut this problem out.

I have 2 IR Receivers. One built from a kit I bought at the local Jaycar shop (KC5366, it's actually a Silicon Chip kit), and one I built as per http://www.lirc.org/receivers.html.
Both receivers work flawlessly in Windows (the kit receiver using Girder, the other using WinLirc)

I built the second one as I couldn't figure out how to get the kit receiver to work under lirc (It needs to be talked to @ 9600 baud) and yet still nothing.
So I booted up windows, chucked both receivers in and ran WinLirc. After selecting com2 I brought up the Raw Data window started pushing buttons and all of a sudden I'm overwhelmed with output. I even had both receivers working side by side (one with WinLirc, one with Girder) and started having remote wars with my flatmates (we where bored :P)

Jump back into gentoo and again nothing.

'dmesg | grep lirc' gives me this:
Code:
lirc_serial: auto-detected active low receiver

So as far as I can tell it is detecting at least 1 IR receiver (The lirc homebrew comes up as "active low" and the kit comes back as "active high") but no matter which way I try and sample data from it I get absolutley nothing. (irw, 'cat /dev/lirc/0', 'mode2 -d /dev/lirc/0' and cat-ing the serial ports after rmmod lirc_serial and lirc_dev, then modprobe 8250)

Oh yer, as you could probably tell, kernel serial support is modular and is not loaded at startup. And I just recompiled my kernel just in case.

Does anyone have any idea of what I've done wrong? I would be greatful for any help in this matter :)
twipsta
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man I feel like a twat.

After a good nights sleep, I woke up, typed 'depmod -a' then ran xmode2 and voila! I had a signal!

I guess I forgot to run depmod last night :/

Got the depmod idea from http://lnx.manoweb.com/lirc/?partType=section&partName=lirc

So yer, sidious - See if that solves you're problem too.
Elvis-Gauss
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try irrecord. It creates config files for your remote control whe you press its buttons. (If there isn't any config files on that website)
twipsta
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah irrecord works great .... once you have all the modules configured and loaded in the proper order. that and making sure the system realises there's a few new modules and devices to look out for.

See my problem was stupidity .... I did everything fine, except for running depmod afterwards. As soon as I executed that magical command my IR unit sprung to life (and then spent the next 10mins mucking around in xmode2 roflmao 8))
Seeing as I had already got the unit up and running in Windows using WinLirc, I cheated and grabbed the remote control config file and chucked it in lirc.
Emerged the xmms lirc plugin, set it up and then spent the next 20mins or so freaking out me flat-mate as he watches my computer start doing things by itself. (Tho atm, I have more fun in Windows. Got a second remote for Windows with a few more buttons and set it up for basic mouse control, winamp functions and monitor standby. Try it on a PC newbie at a party one time, it's hillarious ;))

Now if only i could be bothered figuring out a semi-easy way to set up monitor standby and maybe even a simple OSD. My life would be complete .... 'till the next project lol
gentunian
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I surf all the web searching for a "how-to-lirc-with-creative-infra-cd". I found this:

[url]
http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1263685&forum_id=16771
[/url]

But i wasnt to much help. Does anybody know how to use LIRC with the CREATIVE INFRA CD ROM?

I compiled the kernel with SCSI emulation, and i tried all the things that says in that url. The thing is, either with the driver "creative_infracd"[url] or "serial" it doesnt create a /dev/lirc/0 [/url]or /dev/lirc.

I made the basic receiver (rs232) in lirc.org. But neither is working for me. Any help? Thanks.
twipsta
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my (so far limited) experience with lirc, the easiest device to get set up is the homebrew serial device.

I was getting extremely frustrated at the fact i couldn't use my original serial IR kit with lirc as i could use it flawlessly in girder.

So yer, built the one on lirc.org, plugged her in and crossed me fingers ..... still nothing.
Then my brain decided to work for a split second and gave me the wonderful idea of trying the device in Winblows XP using WinLirc. To my surprise it started working worked straight away!

So now i knew I had two working serial IR devices that functioned in two seperate programs under Windows .... kinda ruled out hardware probs.
So back in linux I went, emerging and remerging lirc with various options and different USE flags. Still nothing! (Was about this time windows enticed me back .... I missed my games and my remote. can live without one of them, not both!)

I was getting to the point of trying almost anything. Good thing to (as my previous posts suggest) I forgot run 'depmod -a' so I don't think all the required modules where being loaded.

I'd recommend trying to get the serial IR device working first. That way you know lirc is up and running properly and it should be relatively to rebuild the lirc package with the creative infra driver.

Oh and if ya don't want ya Infra-CD I'll gladly buy it off ya. Me dad had one when I was younger (going back almost a decade now lol) and it was awesome. Not only did it worked great, it looked great :)
It was that cdrom that got me intrigued with the concept of a computer jukebox (well now they're called Media Centers but same thing lol)
gentunian
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i realized how to get working with the serial device. I forgot to:

$ setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart none

to put the module lirc-serial. And that's all, its working fine. But the infracd driver is not working. I think i'll use the serial device for now on. Thanks
twipsta
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn shame you cant get the InfraCD going .... would go awesome in a small media center. Have you tried doing a google for something like 'infracd lirc' or 'infracd lirc howto' there's gotta be someone out there that has successfully got it working.

Now you've got the fun part, recording each of you're remotes button codes and setting up IRKick (or similar)
I haven't spent too much time on this part (keep getting distracted by win32 games :S) but i have set mine up to load xmms when I press the Audio button, closes it with the Power button and due to the fact I'm using the remote from an old Bt878 capture card I acquired I had to map play/pause/stop/etc. to the menu navigation buttons. Might just get one of those nifty universal remotes with an LCD screen and really geekify my house lol.

Nothing like lazing back in your couch controlling ya linux box with a remote eh? :)
gentunian
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Have you tried doing a google for something like 'infracd lirc' or 'infracd lirc howto' there's gotta be someone out there that has successfully got it working.

I found this, it was helpless for me.

http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1263685&forum_id=16771

But now i'm using my ph*l*ps remote control i found in:

http://lirc.org/remotes/

Its working fine, but audacious hangs sometimes.

So, happy remoting? :D
twipsta
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky bugger! I had to get irrecord to learn my remote lol.

I also have a similar bug with XMMS. Depending what mood it's in it will occasionally freeze on me. Usually takes a while for it to happen, or when I try and show it off lol. I'm not 100% sure but I think it might be something in the lirc plug-in for XMMS (in my case) but it can get frustrating. Maybe I'll map one of the buttons to run a script that will grab the process id of XMMS and issue a kill command to it. Wouldn't fix the problem, but would make it a bit more bearable.

Interesting. The guy says it needs SCSI emulation/CD-Support built in to the kernel. I did some more googling and it does indeed seem like it needs ide-scsi emulation:
Code:
The lirc daemon has code directly for support for the creative infra-cd drives. I looked through the code, and found out why it doesn't work anymore- it assumes that the ide-scsi driver is to be used, and so it makes use of scsi calls.
(Extract from http://geexbox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=19088&sid=2f41372b822fda06a2f0247a318781d1)

I'm not too sure how to enable scsi emulation, but i did a quick google and found a Gentoo Wiki article describing how to enable scsi emulation for IDE burners, but it looks like it may do the trick for you too: http://gentoo-wiki.com/SCSI_Burning

Give that a shot, then according to that post:
Code:
4 - either "ln -s /dev/sgX /dev/lirc" or start lircd with "--device=/dev/sgX", where X is the number of the drive. If you have no SCSI drives, for example, it should be /dev/sg0.

I wish I could help you further, but without a drive to play with myself I can only make suggestions lol.
Tho if i find one on ebay cheap enough i might grab one for my media center project :)

Good luck! lol
gentunian
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i realized how to put the scsi emulation. The module sg and ide-scsi creates de host emulation and the device /dev/sgX (sg0 and sg1)and i passed the append="hdX=ide-scsi" to the kernel boot parameters. The thing was my cd-rom drive was missconfigured i dont know why, it was selected as a slave where there was no master! (i still dont know why worked fine). I emerged lirc with LIRC_DEVICE="creative_infracd" in the /etc/make.conf file, and when i do:

(The emulation works fine, I've mounted a cdrom and i've read the data inside)

Code:

$ lircd -d /dev/sg0
$ irw

lircd hangs and exit (caught signal), BUT with /dev/sg1 (that is the device that i should use), irw waits for signals and lircd is running correctly. I downloaded the lirc.conf from the remote's page, and nothing happens. Then i try:

Code:

$ cat /dev/sg1

And the results are the same. I think its not fully supported, i'm thinking in how without specific modules the cd-drive would send signals to the socket... :? ...How the generic driver (scsi) knows that the drive has a IR receiver?? Isnt there any specific module for the INFRA CD DRIVE?

Well, the truth is that i'm doing this because it becames a challenge for me, because the serial device its working really good, and also because "..sharing data is a step to a community..." Well, thats all...for now. :)
imanassypov
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is compiling the driver for remote in the kernel self-exclusive with specifying LIRC_DEVICES?

I noticed that if I compile the driver in the kernel, I dont even start the lircd and I still get output from the remote right onto my console, but not all codes match. Do you guys know where the in-kernel driver picks up the key mappings from?

Thanks!

-igor
vaquerito
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I've spent quite some time between howtos and googling around, trying to find out how to make my usb ir dongle work with lirc.

Though the official faq say it's technically impossible to use usb dongle, they also state that's not true at all and lying around google it seems someone could get this chip do the work.

My device has a KC-180 chip:
Code:

bash-3.1# lsusb
Bus 4 Device 1: ID 0000:0000
Bus 3 Device 2: ID 050f:0180 KC Technology, Inc. KC-180 IrDA Dongle
Bus 3 Device 1: ID 0000:0000

which seems one of the few supported, and in fact the hardware-side part seems ok:
1- Support in kernel is compiled and going
2- Load the modules
Code:

modprobe -r ir-usb
modprobe irda
modprobe irda-usb
modprobe irtty-sir
modprobe ircomm-tty
irattach irda0 -s

3- Watch dmesg:
Code:

NET: Registered protocol family 23
IRDA-USB found at address 2, Vendor: 50f, Product: 180
IrDA: Registered device irda0
usbcore: registered new driver irda-usb
USB IrDA support registered
IrCOMM protocol (Dag Brattli)

4- irda0 interface is up:
Code:

irda0     Link encap:IrLAP  HWaddr ef:04:37:e5
          UP RUNNING NOARP  MTU:2048  Metric:1
          RX packets:26 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:4468 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:8
          RX bytes:702 (702.0 b)  TX bytes:76590 (74.7 KiB)

5- the receiver is listening and can sense the gsm-phone infrared (as a try)
Code:

21:10:05.396617 xid:cmd ef0437e5 > ffffffff S=6 s=0 (14)
21:10:05.484621 xid:cmd ef0437e5 > ffffffff S=6 s=1 (14)
21:10:05.572626 xid:cmd ef0437e5 > ffffffff S=6 s=2 (14)
21:10:05.660634 xid:cmd ef0437e5 > ffffffff S=6 s=3 (14)
21:10:05.748637 xid:cmd ef0437e5 > ffffffff S=6 s=4 (14)
21:10:05.824871 xid:rsp ef0437e5 < 320c0000 S=6 s=4 Nokia 8310 hint=b125 [ PnP Modem Fax Telephony IrCOMM IrOBEX ] (27)
21:10:05.836638 xid:cmd ef0437e5 > ffffffff S=6 s=5 (14)
21:10:05.924647 xid:cmd ef0437e5 > ffffffff S=6 s=* nabucodonosor hint=0400 [ Computer ] (29)

30 packets received by filter

When I finally start the lirc daemon, udev creates the right device (/dev/lircd and /dev/lirc0) but nonetheless no imput
from remote with irrecord or xmode2..... :x

At the moment I'm stuck in here and any suggestion is welcome
Thanx :D
gentunian
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

imanassypov wrote:
Is compiling the driver for remote in the kernel self-exclusive with specifying LIRC_DEVICES?

I noticed that if I compile the driver in the kernel, I dont even start the lircd and I still get output from the remote right onto my console, but not all codes match. Do you guys know where the in-kernel driver picks up the key mappings from?

Thanks!

-igor

mmh...i dont really know if this answers your question, but try:

Quote:

$ cat /proc/devices

Then try to figure out which one could be the lirc device. For example:

Quote:

chaplin linux # cat /proc/devices
Character devices:
10 misc
13 input
14 sound
61 BaseRemoteCtl

That's a clue! What is telling you this info is the major number of the devices, that is the number with is registered in the kernel. Then you could do:

Quote:

chaplin dev # ls -lR | grep -e "^./\|61"
crw-rw---- 1 root tty 3, 161 Dec 12 17:41 ttyz1
./input:
./lirc:
crw-rw---- 1 root root 61, 0 Dec 13 02:43 0
./misc:

(the expresion "^./\|61" is only to know the directory it belongs the entry...it may be empty is it does not match, but its no important for us at this point)

Then you can see 2 numbers seperated by a comma. That is the major number and the minor number. So, in /dev/lirc/ there's a device registered with a major number 61. That is the device you are looking for. I hope this is what you want to know. Later
gentunian
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

When I finally start the lirc daemon, udev creates the right device (/dev/lircd and /dev/lirc0) but nonetheless no imput
from remote with irrecord or xmode2..... :x

At the moment I'm stuck in here and any suggestion is welcome
Thanx :D

Did you look at /etc/conf.d/lircd?
If your device is /edv/lirc0, then you should put in /etc/conf.d/lircd:
Quote:

LIRCD_OPTS="-d /dev/lirc0"

to tell the socket to use that device. In my case is: /dev/lirc/0 :)

Also, you may be watching the logs (tail -f /var/log/messages). The first time i try, when i launched the daemon, it stops by a caught signal, but the only way to know is to watch the system log. OR, you could try to launch it manually:
Quote:

$ lircd -d /dev/lirc0 --nodaemon

to see if it crash.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: