Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
HOWTO: Radeon 9500 (and newer) with DRI [Part I]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 38, 39, 40  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slippery Jim
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: overlay git problem Reply with quote

Is anyone elso having trouble updating mesa or mesa-progs, using primozic's overlay ebuilds?

I'm getting EOF git errors. It looks like the repository URLs have become invalid:

Code:
Rainsong james # emerge -v1 mesa
Calculating dependencies... done!
>>> Emerging (1 of 1) media-libs/mesa-9999 to /
>>> checking ebuild checksums ;-)
>>> checking auxfile checksums ;-)
>>> checking miscfile checksums ;-)
>>> Unpacking source...
 * git update start -->
 *    repository: git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/users/krh/mesa
fatal: unexpected EOF
Fetch failure: git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/users/krh/mesa

!!! ERROR: media-libs/mesa-9999 failed.
Call stack:
  ebuild.sh, line 1539:   Called dyn_unpack
  ebuild.sh, line 711:   Called src_unpack
  mesa-9999.ebuild, line 99:   Called git_src_unpack
  git.eclass, line 269:   Called git_fetch
  git.eclass, line 195:   Called die

!!! git.eclass: can't update from git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/users/krh/mesa.
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.

!!! This ebuild is from an overlay: '/home/james/portage'
Rainsong james #
Primozic
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've switched back to CVS for the mesa and mesa-progs ebuilds. The git repository is a mirror after all, so we might as well use the original source for now, at least until Mesa officially moves to git.

I've also added a git xorg-server-9999 ebuild, which uses the Mesa CVS files. You'll get a few more OpenGL extensions if you install it. Feel free to test it out. My experience shows that EXA is a lot slower compared to xorg-server-1.1.1, but I use XAA so this is not an issue for me.

Also, the issues some people were having with the git xf86-video-ati driver have now been fixed upstream.

Enjoy.

Browse: http://sturmartillerie.org/portage
Rsync: rsync://rsync.sturmartillerie.org/mesa-cvs
Tarball: http://sturmartillerie.org/portage/mesa-cvs.tar.gz
Slippery Jim
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Primozic wrote:
I've switched back to CVS for the mesa and mesa-progs ebuilds. The git repository is a mirror after all, so we might as well use the original source for now, at least until Mesa officially moves to git.

I've also added a git xorg-server-9999 ebuild, which uses the Mesa CVS files. You'll get a few more OpenGL extensions if you install it. Feel free to test it out. My experience shows that EXA is a lot slower compared to xorg-server-1.1.1, but I use XAA so this is not an issue for me.

Also, the issues some people were having with the git xf86-video-ati driver have now been fixed upstream.

Enjoy.

Good now. Thanks.

Just out of curiosity, where were you getting the git images from before you switched back? I was getting smooth shaded lines in hardware with the git image, I think. The official mesa CVS head doesn't seem to implement that yet.

On that subject, the "tweaks" patch to disable the fallbacks seems to correspond to the driconf option "Disable Low-impact fallback", under the "Performance" tab. The driconf option disables more fallbacks though.
Shamus397
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Radeon 9700 Pro and I tried the ebuilds already in portage (as suggested by Spruit_elf) but couldn't get it to work with DRI as it would cause X to lock hard (2D works OK, BTW):
Code:
Sep 14 17:10:03 [kernel] [drm] Initialized drm 1.0.1 20051102
Sep 14 17:10:03 [kernel] PCI: Unable to reserve mem region #1:8000000@e8000000 for device 0000:01:00.0
Sep 14 17:10:03 [kernel] ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:01:00.0[A] -> GSI 16 (level, low) -> IRQ 19
Sep 14 17:10:03 [kernel] [drm] Initialized radeon 1.25.0 20060524 on minor 0:
Sep 14 17:10:03 [kernel] [drm] Used old pci detect: framebuffer loaded
Sep 14 17:10:05 [kernel] agpgart: Found an AGP 3.5 compliant device at 0000:00:00.0.
Sep 14 17:10:05 [kernel] agpgart: Badness. Don't know which AGP mode to set. [bridge_agpstat:1f000a0a vga_agpstat:ff00021b fell back to:- bridge_agpstat:1f000208 vga_agpstat:ff00021b]
Sep 14 17:10:05 [kernel] agpgart: Bridge couldn't do AGP x4.
Sep 14 17:10:05 [kernel] agpgart: Putting AGP V3 device at 0000:00:00.0 into 0x mode
Sep 14 17:10:05 [kernel] agpgart: Putting AGP V3 device at 0000:01:00.0 into 0x mode
Sep 14 17:10:05 [kernel] [drm] Setting GART location based on new memory map
Sep 14 17:10:05 [kernel] [drm] Loading R300 Microcode
Sep 14 17:10:05 [kernel] [drm] writeback test failed
Sep 14 17:10:56 [kernel] SysRq : Emergency Sync
Sep 14 17:10:56 [kernel] Emergency Sync complete
Sep 14 17:10:58 [kernel] SysRq : Emergency Remount R/O

I found this post suggesting that setting the BIOS to 4x AGP would solve the problem, but I'm going to try the overlay versions first to see if that fixes the problem. Will report back later. :)

EDIT:

Upgrading to the latest overlay versions gave the exact same lockup, so I tried setting the BIOS to 4x and it loaded. Still no direct rendering in OpenGL though:
Code:
$ glxinfo | grep direct
direct rendering: No

dmesg:
Code:
[drm] Initialized drm 1.0.1 20051102
PCI: Unable to reserve mem region #1:8000000@d0000000 for device 0000:01:00.0
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:01:00.0[A] -> GSI 16 (level, low) -> IRQ 19
[drm] Initialized radeon 1.25.0 20060524 on minor 0:
[drm] Used old pci detect: framebuffer loaded
agpgart: Found an AGP 3.5 compliant device at 0000:00:00.0.
agpgart: Putting AGP V3 device at 0000:00:00.0 into 4x mode
agpgart: Putting AGP V3 device at 0000:01:00.0 into 4x mode
[drm] Setting GART location based on new memory map
[drm] Loading R300 Microcode
[drm] writeback test succeeded in 1 usecs

Xorg.0.log
glxinfo
xorg.conf

The modules are loaded, and the kernel is configured correctly (i.e., no DRI in kernel config):
Code:
$ uname -r
2.6.17-gentoo-r7
$ lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
radeon                118944  2
drm                    72088  3 radeon

Will report more if I find anything new... :x

EDIT:

I tried glxgears and get around 2,000 FPS, but then tried to run Neverball and it locked up my machine hard. Not even the Magic SysRq keys worked. Any ideas on what to do next would be greatly appreciated. :)
Kanniball
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Primozic wrote:

Enjoy.

Why don't you put your ebuilds in the sunrise overlay?
It was nice to have them updated with layman, and have a common place for user ebuilds is a great thing...
phuber
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kanniball wrote:

Why don't you put your ebuilds in the sunrise overlay?
It was nice to have them updated with layman, and have a common place for user ebuilds is a great thing...

go back a few pages, there's a short description on how you add Primozic's rsync to layman... works nice :)
Primozic
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slippery Jim wrote:
Just out of curiosity, where were you getting the git images from before you switched back? I was getting smooth shaded lines in hardware with the git image, I think. The official mesa CVS head doesn't seem to implement that yet.

I didn't use images, I used the unofficial freedesktop.org Mesa CVS git repository mirror, located at http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=users/krh/mesa.git. There shouldn't be any difference between the git mirror and the CVS repository, otherwise it wouldn't be a mirror. :wink:

Slippery Jim wrote:
On that subject, the "tweaks" patch to disable the fallbacks seems to correspond to the driconf option "Disable Low-impact fallback", under the "Performance" tab. The driconf option disables more fallbacks though.

You are correct, nice find. "Disable Low-impact fallback" is a relatively new option. I didn't know what it was for until you mentioned it. I'm guessing the changes made for this option are what broke the tweaks patch several times.

As of now, the tweaks USE flag and patch are no more. If you want to disable the fallbacks, either unmask and emerge DriConf or create a ~/.drirc file and add the following:

Code:
<device screen="0" driver="r300">
    <application name="Default">
        <option name="disable_lowimpact_fallback" value="true" />
    </application>
</device>

Shamus397
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, got it working. It turns out that the r300_dri.so library didn't get copied to a place that X expected:
Code:
$ LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose glxinfo > glxinfo.txt
libGL: XF86DRIGetClientDriverName: 5.2.0 r300 (screen 0)
libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib/xorg/modules/dri/tls/r300_dri.so
libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib/xorg/modules/dri/r300_dri.so
libGL error: dlopen /usr/lib/xorg/modules/dri/r300_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/xorg/modules/dri/r300_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
libGL error: dlopen /usr/lib/xorg/modules/dri/r300_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/xorg/modules/dri/r300_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
libGL error: unable to load driver: r300_dri.so
$ ls /usr/lib/xorg/modules/dri
atiogl_a_dri.so  fglrx_dri.so
$ cp -v `locate r300_dri.so` /usr/lib/xorg/modules/dri
`/usr/lib/dri/r300_dri.so' -> `/usr/lib/xorg/modules/dri/r300_dri.so'
$ ls /usr/lib/xorg/modules/dri
atiogl_a_dri.so  fglrx_dri.so  r300_dri.so
$ glxinfo | grep direct
direct rendering: Yes

I'm sure this kind of thing can bite you in the ass if you're not careful--you think you've updated your libs but because it isn't in the right place you end up with the old one. Also the AGP thing is bothersome. I realize this is bleeding edge, but shouldn't the driver abort somehow instead of hard locking if it can't set up the AGP properly?
argasek
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

binro wrote:
I seem to have the R300 driver going directly from Portage now without any CVS components. I have installed:
(...)
It all seems completely kosher now! :D

Could someone then update the original post? I've messed with all that CVS shit until I found binro's post. Not to mention if required libraries are in portage, then it isn't unsupported software anymore.
RLU #137109 | http://soundcloud.com/argasek
phuber
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

argasek wrote:
binro wrote:
I seem to have the R300 driver going directly from Portage now without any CVS components. I have installed:
(...)

Could someone then update the original post? I've messed with all that CVS shit until I found binro's post. Not to mention if required libraries are in portage, then it isn't unsupported software anymore.

the poster from the first post isn't active here anymore... we'd better make a new thread, request to close this one and link to the new one...??? Primozic?
argasek
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phuber wrote:
argasek wrote:
binro wrote:
(...)

the poster from the first post isn't active here anymore... we'd better make a new thread, request to close this one and link to the new one...??? Primozic?

It's a good solution, too.
RLU #137109 | http://soundcloud.com/argasek
Primozic
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phuber wrote:
argasek wrote:
binro wrote:
(...)

There's not much to say. It's just like any other open source video card driver now, i.e. emerge xorg-x11 with VIDEO_CARDS="radeon" set in your /etc/make.conf. It's been like this ever since Mesa 6.4.2, unless you had a newer card that wasn't supported yet. There have been many bugs fixed since then.

My overlay is still valid for those that want the latest versions of the x11-drm modules, libdrm, mesa, xf86-video-ati, and even xorg-server. What comes with the latest versions? New features (accelerated OpenGL extensions), bug-fixes, and of course new bugs. It's up to you to decide what you want.
Slippery Jim
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Primozic, looks like the x11-drm ebuild in your overlay broke this week.

Fails to build with:

Code:

Rainsong james # emerge -v1 x11-drm
Calculating dependencies... done!

>>> Emerging (1 of 1) x11-base/x11-drm-9999 to /
 * checking ebuild checksums ;-) ...                                      [ ok ] * checking auxfile checksums ;-) ...                                     [ ok ] * checking miscfile checksums ;-) ...                                    [ ok ] * Determining the location of the kernel source code
 * Found kernel source directory:
 *     /usr/src/linux
 * Found sources for kernel version:
>>> Unpacking source...
 * git update start -->
 *    repository: git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/mesa/drm
 *    local clone: /usr/portage/distfiles/git-src/drm
 *    committish: master

* Applying x11-drm-9999-radeon-vap-state-flush.patch ...

* Failed Patch: x11-drm-9999-radeon-vap-state-flush.patch !
 *  ( /home/james/portage/x11-base/x11-drm/files/x11-drm-9999-radeon-vap-state-flush.patch )
 * Include in your bugreport the contents of:
 *   /var/tmp/portage/x11-drm-9999/temp/x11-drm-9999-radeon-vap-state-flush.patch-20740.out

!!! ERROR: x11-base/x11-drm-9999 failed.
Call stack:
  ebuild.sh, line 1546:   Called dyn_unpack
  ebuild.sh, line 708:   Called src_unpack
  x11-drm-9999.ebuild, line 71:   Called epatch '/home/james/portage/x11-base/x11-drm/files/x11-drm-9999-radeon-vap-state-flush.patch'
  eutils.eclass, line 341:   Called die

!!! Failed Patch: x11-drm-9999-radeon-vap-state-flush.patch!
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.

!!! This ebuild is from an overlay: '/home/james/portage'
Rainsong james #
Shamus397
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno if this is a stupid question or not, but now that I've got it working the question of what to do when software doesn't behave arises. For example, GTKRadiant works fine (though no antialiased lines as Slippery Jim noted earlier), but Jedi Academy dies with
Code:
X Error of failed request:  GLXBadPixmap
  Major opcode of failed request:  143 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  17 (X_GLXVendorPrivateWithReply)
  Serial number of failed request:  2756
  Current serial number in output stream:  2756

when I try to run it under Wine (0.9.21). A bit of googling says that this is version string issue, but it's unclear whether it's a Wine problem or a Mesa problem. Checking for versions in the glxinfo seems to return conflicting information:
Code:
# glxinfo | grep -i version
server glx version string: 1.2
client glx version string: 1.4
GLX version: 1.2
OpenGL version string: 1.3 Mesa 6.5.1

Is this something that the hard-masked xorg-server (9999) is supposed to take care of? Is there a mailing list (or lists as the case may be) where I can follow development?
Small_Penguin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The patch is not necessary any more, so you can comment out the appropriate lines in the ebuild and renew the ebuild's digest.

While it compiles fine, install will fail:

Code:

>>> Install x11-drm-9999 into /var/tmp/portage/x11-drm-9999/image/ category x11-base
 * Installing DRM...
make: *** No rule to make target `install'.  Stop.

!!! ERROR: x11-base/x11-drm-9999 failed.
Call stack:
  ebuild.sh, line 1546:   Called dyn_install
  ebuild.sh, line 1020:   Called src_install
  x11-drm-9999.ebuild, line 119:   Called die

!!! Install failed.

I guess I can just copy the two modules drm.ko and radeon.ko and do a depmod -a, and will indeed try to do so ;-)
Primozic
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slippery Jim wrote:
Primozic, looks like the x11-drm ebuild in your overlay broke this week.

Fails to build with:

Fixed. It looks like they finally applied that patch upstream. It's been in the kernel for a few weeks now.

I'm not sure what's causing your install failure though. All I did was remove the patch and the relevant epatch line in the ebuild, and it installs with no issues here. I am also using kernel 2.6.18.

Shamus397 wrote:
A bit of googling says that this is version string issue, but it's unclear whether it's a Wine problem or a Mesa problem. Checking for versions in the glxinfo seems to return conflicting information:
Code:
# glxinfo | grep -i version
server glx version string: 1.2
client glx version string: 1.4
GLX version: 1.2
OpenGL version string: 1.3 Mesa 6.5.1

Is this something that the hard-masked xorg-server (9999) is supposed to take care of? Is there a mailing list (or lists as the case may be) where I can follow development?

If this is a version string problem, I doubt xorg-server-9999 would solve it. I get the same version strings.

As far as following development, you can browse the latest commits using the freedesktop.org gitweb interface.
boniek
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there. I'm using ati radeon 9500 card in my computer. I don't care about games. Fast 2D and working xgl/aiglx/compiz are my primary concerns. Should I switch or wait for foss dirvers to mature more? TIA
UnNaturalHigh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Radeon 9600Pro (350) Reply with quote

I currently am using the ati-drivers for direct rendering, but I am curious to know how well this works as I am assuming this is the opensource driver?
Phlogiston
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could anyone sum up whats to do to get the driver installed or provide me a link with an updated howto?

Thanks in advance
infirit
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phlogiston wrote:
Could anyone sum up whats to do to get the driver installed or provide me a link with an updated howto?
This is as good a "sum up" gets ;)

I also recommend people to move over to the wiki. For the overlay and instructions to get it working :D
R!tman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

infirit wrote:
Phlogiston wrote:
This is as good a "sum up" gets ;)

I also recommend people to move over to the wiki. For the overlay and instructions to get it working :D

Isn't that wiki for <=9200 cards, meaning <R300 chipsets, only?
I can't see anything about >=R300 and I wouldn't know that there is drm kernel support for >=R300 cards.

EDIT: But a sum up or wiki entry for >=R300 with OS drivers would be great! Maybe the first post could be edited...
phuber
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the first post is not valid anymore since there's now an rsync overlay etc...

have a look at the posts on this page, there's a lot of information on the overlay, layman etc...
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-374745-postdays-0-postorder-asc-start-600.html
infirit
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R!tman wrote:
Isn't that wiki for <=9200 cards, meaning <R300 chipsets, only?
I can't see anything about >=R300 and I wouldn't know that there is drm kernel support for >=R300 cards.

EDIT: But a sum up or wiki entry for >=R300 with OS drivers would be great! Maybe the first post could be edited...
There is no difference how to install the r200 and the r300. So if you follow the wiki you get the same results.

Better update the wiki to include how one can build Mesa from source/cvs.
boniek
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
mv: target `lib/' is not a directory
make[3]: *** [lib/libGL.so] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/mesa-9999/work/Mesa/src/glx/x11'
make[2]: *** [subdirs] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/mesa-9999/work/Mesa/src'
make[1]: *** [default] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/mesa-9999/work/Mesa'
make: *** [linux-dri-x86] Error 2

Any help appreciated :)
Does anyone have working aiglx/compiz configuration with this driver? By working I mean it actually runs and speed is decent.
phuber
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boniek wrote:
Code:
mv: target `lib/' is not a directory
make[3]: *** [lib/libGL.so] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/mesa-9999/work/Mesa/src/glx/x11'
make[2]: *** [subdirs] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/mesa-9999/work/Mesa/src'
make[1]: *** [default] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/mesa-9999/work/Mesa'
make: *** [linux-dri-x86] Error 2

Any help appreciated :)
Does anyone have working aiglx/compiz configuration with this driver? By working I mean it actually runs and speed is decent.

no. i tried it a few weeks ago and got lots of artifacts... i may try it again later.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
Page 27 of 40

Jump to: