please remove gaim-cvs-0.60-r4.ebuild
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
punter
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 9:17 pm    Post subject: please remove gaim-cvs-0.60-r4.ebuild Reply with quote

I'm getting sick of deleting gaim-cvs-0.60-r4.ebuild everytime after an emerge sync.

It places a full stop to my emerge -u world, which I don't like.

Whats the legality behind this package ? Am I *forced* to remove it ??
I don't see why I should, given that its open source and CVS source is widely available.

I understand, if it is decided not to present any further gaim-cvs package ebuilds/revisions, but don't understand why are we forced to remove the already existant and working version.

Anyway, can someone tell me how can I trick the portage to forget about this package, and never bother with it.
I am not intending to remove gaim-cvs, and even if I do, I shall manually install it, which in that case I prefer to have it emerge based rather than manual based.

Shane
timmfin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the gaim cvs for a while before .60 came out, but since then I've been using the stable releases. I'd really suggest you emerge -C gaim-cvs and then emerge gaim. Version .64 is out now and there are releasing new versions every other week.

Gaim cvs now is very unstable. I think major changes are going on in there.
Pythonhead
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: please remove gaim-cvs-0.60-r4.ebuild Reply with quote

The authors of GAIM don't want non-developers using CVS any more. They want people who are contributing code to use the CVS version.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So don't use it... whats the problem?
punter
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
(gaim:16452): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid cast from `GdkWindow' to `GtkWidg
et'

(gaim:16452): Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkwidget.c: line 1626 (gtk_widget_destroy):
 assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed
Gaim has segfaulted and attempted to dump a core file.
This is a bug in the software and has happened through
no fault of your own.

It is possible that this bug is already fixed in CVS.
You can get a tarball of CVS from the Gaim website, at
http://gaim.sourceforge.net/gaim-CVS.tar.gz.

If you are already using CVS, or can reproduce the crash
using the CVS version, please notify the gaim maintainers
by reporting a bug at
http://gaim.sourceforge.net/bug.php

Please make sure to specify what you were doing at the time,
and post the backtrace from the core file. If you do not know
how to get the backtrace, please get instructions at
http://gaim.sourceforge.net/gdb.php. If you need further
assistance, please IM either RobFlynn or SeanEgn and
they can help you.

The problem is that, for some stupid reason,
I get an error (like above which corresponds to gaim-0.64) everytime I exit gaim,
on ALL (and I repeat "ALL") stable gaim releases.
Each version something different, and when I sort out one of them, the new version has its own problem again.
BUT the gaim-cvs version, works fine on my system. Above reason + couple of small ones in relation to YAHOO and MSN protocols on gaim, have forced me to use gaim-cvs.

In short: "the gaim-cvs is fine, works and perfect, the stable gaim is buggy, needs fiddling and configuring everytime I upgrade it, so I rather use the gaim-cvs."

All I am suggesting through this thread is to change gaim-cvs.ebuild so that it *alerts* users rather than throw an error and stop my 'emerge -u world'

Shane
Pythonhead
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try removing net-im/gaim-cvs from /var/cache/edb/world?

I think that should leave your installed version of gaim-cvs, but if
you do emerge -up world it won't show up anymore.

If that doesn't work, you can put the ebuild in /usr/local/portage, change the ebuild so it has no more "eerror" or "die" commands. If you need more details on this method, ask.

I don't know why they made the ebuild use "error' and "die" so it stops your emerge world cold, but I bet it has to do with respecting the Gaim author's wishes.

The authors of Gaim were getting sick of people reporting bugs on the CVS version. I suppose Gentoo is just doing their part by having people remove the CVS version. After all, it was Gentoo users who bogged down SourceForge servers so badly by downloading the gaim CVS version.

SourceForge servers are under a lot of stress, they have removed features slowly over time, even searching is disabled during 'peak' times.

So, if anyone uses this "trick", please don't report bugs to Gaim about any CVS versions.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about emerge -uU world?
punter
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
what about emerge -uU world?

Same thing, a nasty error message (from gaim-cvs) puts an end to it.

Could you please remove this "die", "kill", "error" or whatever it is called from the ebuild.

I don't see why such a small package like gaim, should effect a Linux distribution to this extent,
that I have to *hack* around it.

From practical point of view, it's as if, I have to choose between gaim-cvs and gentoo update.
"One or the other."
Is gaim really that heavily weighted against ALL portage packages, that its ebuild script is allowed to put an end to updation of ALL packages ??

Last two points:
1. The earlier posted bug message clearly states, that I should try the CVS version, which might include a fix for the problem, so use of CVS version for me (even though i'm not a developer of gaim) is recommended and advised. Would this be yet another reason for you to remove the "die" thing, and suffice to an "alert" message ??

2. where can I post the bug message, as result of execution of normal gaim ?
would the gaim site itself look into this, or do they just care about CVS bugs ?
Pythonhead
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

punter wrote:

Is gaim really that heavily weighted against ALL portage packages, that its ebuild script is allowed to put an end to updation of ALL packages ??

What on earth is 'updation'?

Quote:

Last two points:
1. The earlier posted bug message clearly states, that I should try the CVS version, which might include a fix for the problem, so use of CVS version for me (even though i'm not a developer of gaim) is recommended and advised. Would this be yet another reason for you to remove the "die" thing, and suffice to an "alert" message ??

Go to the Gaim homepage and take a minute and read the front page. Why are you bringing up an 'earlier posted bug message' when you know it isn't recommend today?

Quote:

2. where can I post the bug message, as result of execution of normal gaim ?

https://bugs.gentoo.org/ is where you post bugs about ebuilds

Quote:

would the gaim site itself look into this, or do they just care about CVS bugs ?

Again, re-read my post, and read the Gaim home page. They do not want to hear about CVS bugs, thats the whole point of gaim-cvs being removed.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: