HOWTO: Neverwinter Nights - Diamond Edition DVD Install
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
b1f30
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: HOWTO: Neverwinter Nights - Diamond Edition DVD Install Reply with quote

HOWTO: Neverwinter Nights - Diamond Edition DVD Install

Wednesday, September 06 2006 - CEP Instructions! You can find them appended to the bottom of this HOWTO.

Thursday, August 31 2006 - Back on the RPG/gaming scene! ARGH! I can't help it - I'm a gamer at heart.

NOTE: This is a non-portage way to install Neverwinter Nights Diamond Edition! The NWN client in portage is currently out of date! The current Linux patch is 1.68! These instructions only apply to the DVD version of the boxed game!

NOTE: Sad to say as always - but I take absolutely 0 responsibility if you follow these directions and somehow end up damaging your current Gentoo install! Although these instructions were designed with no catastrophic consequences in mind, YMMV! You have been warned!

Neverwinter Nights is outclassed by so many games now, it isn't funny. However, if you still enjoy old school hack and slash, without having to pay the additional online fees or fork over a limb to buy screaming hardware, NWN is a great online RPG option that carries with it decent graphics, highly customizable environments and characters, and pretty decent PvP (IMHO) - although, sad to say, the all mighty level editor has not been released to work on Linux! Bah!

The Diamond edition came out some time ago, early 2006 (I could be wrong) and it offers the extra module known as 'Kingmaker', which I will not cover here, since that would require installing wine, which is a whole other thread alltogether.

Let it be known that the Diamond edition can be bought for USD $20 or less, so it's not a bad deal for a no-fee online RPG.

Onward!

Things you will need:

A CD key
About 4 GB of HD space

1) As root, create your Neverwinter Nights directory (where you will install the game):

Code:
 $ mkdir -p /usr/local/games/nwn

and then cd to it:

Code:
 $ cd /usr/local/games/nwn

2) Load up and mount your DVD of the Diamond edition, and unzip the following files:

Code:
 $ pwd
 /usr/local/games/nwn
 $ unzip /media/cdrom/Data_Shared.zip
 $ unzip /media/cdrom/Data_linux.zip

3) Remain in /usr/local/games/nwn as root and unzip XP1.zip and XP2.zip from the data directory of the DVD:

Code:
 $ unzip -o /media/cdrom/data/XP1.zip
 $ unzip -o /media/cdrom/data/XP2.zip

NOTE:

Code:
 $ man unzip

Code:
       -o     overwrite existing files without prompting.  This is a dangerous
              option, so use it with care.  (It is often used  with  -f,  how-
              ever,  and  is  the  only  way  to overwrite directory EAs under
              OS/2.)

We want the zip archives to overwrite for our purposes, so we are safe.

4) Remain in /usr/local/games/nwn as root. Download nwnclientgold.tar.gz and extract it (overwriting all):

Code:
 $ tar -zxvf nwclientgold.tar.gz

5) Remain in /usr/local/games/nwn as root. Download nwclienthotu.tar.gz (Hordes of the Underdark patch) and extract it in the same way as above:

Code:
 $ tar -zxvf nwclienthotu.tar.gz

6) Remain in /usr/local/games/nwn as root. Grab the latest greatest update, 1.68, and extract it in the same fashion as the previous archives:

Code:
 $ tar -zxvf English_linuxclient166_xp2.tar.gz

7) Finally, yes again as root, run the fixinstall script from the current directory:

Code:
 $ ./fixinstall

8) Set the permissions of the nwn folder:

Code:
 $ cd
 $ chown -R johndoe:games /usr/local/games/nwn
 $ chmod -R g+rwX /usr/local/games/nwn

NOTE: In this example, I use the games group - I use this group for any game I install on my box. If you're not already a member of your games group, simply add yourself - after which, you'll need to log out, and then log back in:

Code:
 $ gpassword -a johndoe games

9) Some people have issues with not being able to see the fonts in the game's intro menu. Download dialog.tlk and unzip it (overwrite) to the nwn directory:

Code:
 $ unzip -o NWNEnglish1.68dialog.zip

10) Don't forget to switch your Xorg's opengl to the proper drivers! For instance, if you use nVidia, as root:

Code:
 $ eselect opengl list
 Available OpenGL implementations:
   [1]   nvidia
   [2]   xorg-x11 *

$ eselect opengl set nvidia

NOTE: If you needed to change to the proper opengl libs as above, you'll need to restart Xorg. Log out, restart Xorg (CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE for xdm/kdm/gdm), log back in!

You should now have a full-blown NWN Diamond install, with the Shadows of Undrentide and Hordes of the Underdark modules available. Remember - I did not include the Kingmaker module in these instructions! That requires that you have wine installed! If you search the BioWare forums under Linux, you can find instructions on how to get this setup!

To play the game (as user):

Code:
 $ ./nwn &

Happy hack-n-slash!

HOWTO: Install the CEP for NWN!

There's lots and lots of CEP servers out there - so here goes... it's simple!

Make sure you have zip/unzip, and download the current CEP, which is patched up to 1.53:

1) Download the CEP 1.52, unpack it in /tmp, follow the README, and you'll have no trouble. The instructions will have you copying over very particular items, so pay close attention to the details in the README!

then

2) Download the CEP patch for 1.53, unpack it in /tmp. The README for the patch is a little ambiguous, in that it simply tells you to put the patch 'over' something else. What it should say, simply, is place the file 'cep1patch153.hak' into your nwn/hak/ directory, and be done with it.

After installing the CEP and it's patches, make sure you do the following as root, to be sure you'll still have privileges to run it all:

Code:
 chown -R [i]yourusername[/i]:games /usr/local/games/nwn
 chmod -R g+rwX /usr/local/games/nwn

Sláinte!

~b1f

Last edited by b1f30 on Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:09 pm; edited 3 times in total
oneof3steves
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: nwmouse nwmovies Reply with quote

I also highly recommend installing nwmouse (hardware mouse) and nwmovies (movie support).

Latest version of both is in this package:
http://home.woh.rr.com/nwmovies/nwlinux-beta.tar.bz2

I had issues at first with having an amd64. It turned out that in both nwmouse_install.pl and nwmovies_install.pl you have to change the paths it searches for the 32bit versions of the libraries needed from:

/emul/ia32-linux/usr/lib
/emul/ia32-linux/lib

to the ones on gentoo in /emul/linux/x86/

one also has to emerge bink player for nwmovies to work, but that's easy.

s.

p.s. this game is so fun even 2 years on, and some of the new community modules are amazing. I've been playing through the Aielund (sp?) Saga and I'd say it's hands down better than the original campaign.
b1f30
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes indeed! I forgot that nwmouse was even in portage! Nice work dude!

See you in the crypts! Maybe?

MUH HA HA!

~b1f
po0f
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot, this guide worked perfectly.
b1f30
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have quick instructions on how to get the CEP installed? Would love to include that as well, since the CEP has massive amounts of creature feature that even the Diamond DVD does not include!

Thanks to all!

~b1f
Gentist
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: nwmouse nwmovies Reply with quote

oneof3steves wrote:
I also highly recommend installing nwmouse (hardware mouse) and nwmovies (movie support).

Latest version of both is in this package:
http://home.woh.rr.com/nwmovies/nwlinux-beta.tar.bz2

I had issues at first with having an amd64. It turned out that in both nwmouse_install.pl and nwmovies_install.pl you have to change the paths it searches for the 32bit versions of the libraries needed from:

/emul/ia32-linux/usr/lib
/emul/ia32-linux/lib

to the ones on gentoo in /emul/linux/x86/

one also has to emerge bink player for nwmovies to work, but that's easy.

s.

p.s. this game is so fun even 2 years on, and some of the new community modules are amazing. I've been playing through the Aielund (sp?) Saga and I'd say it's hands down better than the original campaign.

How did you get nwmoves to work? I get libelf errors when running nwmovies_install.pl, and then I get "ERROR: ld.so: object './nwmovies.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored." when running nwn executable. I have dev-libs/libelf installed, and the errors I get with it installed is the following (this is the entire output when running nwmovies_install.pl):
Code:

WARNING: No libSDL specified. This will cause NWMovies to spit out the libSDL it uses, and then exit.
NOTICE: NWMovies: Executing: gcc -m32  -I/emul/linux/x86/usr/include -L/emul/linux/x86/usr/lib -L/emul/linux/x86/lib -L/lib32 -L/usr/lib32 -Wall -Inwmovies/libdis -g -fPIC -shared -Wl,-soname,libdisasm.so nwmovies/libdis/libdis.c nwmovies/libdis/i386.c -o nwmovies/libdis/libdisasm.so
NOTICE: NWMovies: Executing: gcc -m32  -I/emul/linux/x86/usr/include -L/emul/linux/x86/usr/lib -L/emul/linux/x86/lib -L/lib32 -L/usr/lib32 -Wall -shared -g -Wl,-soname,binklib.so nwmovies/binklib.c -o nwmovies/binklib.so   -ldl -lelf -lm
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.1/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.1/../../../libelf.so when searching for -lelf
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.1/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.1/../../../libelf.a when searching for -lelf
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.1/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libelf.so when searching for -lelf
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.1/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libelf.a when searching for -lelf
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.1/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: cannot find -lelf
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
NOTICE: NWMovies: Executing: gcc -m32  -I/emul/linux/x86/usr/include -L/emul/linux/x86/usr/lib -L/emul/linux/x86/lib -L/lib32 -L/usr/lib32 -Wall -shared -g -DSDLLIB=\"\" -I/usr/include/libelf -Inwmovies/libdis -o nwmovies/nwmovies.so nwmovies/nwmovies.c nwmovies/nwmovies_lookup.c nwmovies/nwmovies_cookie.c nwmovies/nwmovies_crumb.c nwmovies/nwmovies_link.S   -ldl -lelf
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.1/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.1/../../../libelf.so when searching for -lelf
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.1/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.1/../../../libelf.a when searching for -lelf
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.1/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libelf.so when searching for -lelf
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.1/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libelf.a when searching for -lelf
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.1/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: cannot find -lelf
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
NOTICE: NWMovies: Please check for errors above
NOTICE: NWMovies: nwmovies executable built. Please modify your nwn startup command to
NOTICE: NWMovies: set LD_PRELOAD to 'nwmovies.so', before executing nwmain.

I have also altered all paths in nwmovies_install.pl from /emul/ia32-linux/ to /emul/linux/x86/

Is there something I'm missing?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: