View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
heipei
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: dmraid with kernel > 2.6.15 [SOLVED] Reply with quote

hi there,

im running gentoo amd64 on a dimension 9150. the box has one of those bios-raid-controllers which i noticed during inital install and used dmraid, genkernel and device-mapper to make it work with 2.6.15. after genkernel had generated the kernel, the initramfs and the initrd (and inserted everything into the grub.conf) i began tuning the horrible work of genkernel, and replaced only the kernel in boot, using the inital versions of the initramfs and initrd files. it worked fine.

recently i wanted to upgrade my kernel due to obvious reasons. first i tried using the initramfs from my 2.6.15 kernel, didnt work. then i tried the same thing with genkernel (i followed the dmraid-howtos found on the gentoo website) with various versions of 2.6.16 and finally 2.6.18-rc2. im sure i did everything like the first time i used genkernel, but when i want to boot any of the new kernels it just says it cant find my devices under /dev/mapper (it can find the whole ARRAY, but no ARRAYx devices). im not quite sure how this is possible since at the same time the old kernel still works fine, and the grub parameters are exactly the same, as is the creation process.

grub: 0.96-r2
dmraid: 1.0.0_rc8-r1
device-mapper: 1.02.07

lspci:
00:1f.2 RAID bus controller: Intel Corporation 82801GR/GH (ICH7 Family) Serial ATA Storage Controller RAID (rev 01)

[edit - made sticky by NeddySeagoon as its a reccuring issue on the forums - unstuck 28 Oct 206, since is a rare issue now.]

Last edited by heipei on Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
LoSeR_5150
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmraid will not work with kernels > 2.6.15 ... some users report sucess with the rc11-pre1 version of dmraid, it is not in portage and u will have to use an overlay. However I had no such luck with the overlay and am patiently waiting for an updated dmraid to hit the portage tree. I want to use kernel sources 2.6.16 so i can use nxsty's glibc overlay (2.4-r4) which uses kernel sources 2.6.16 instead of 2.6.11 but it looks like i will have to wait. If anyone has any other info pls share it cause I would love to update my kernel in hopes of fixing my madwifi problems. Thanks
640GB Western Digital HD
*Gentoo-x86_64-2.6.30-r1

Opteron175@2.2GHz
2GB DDR 400MHz
256MB Quadro 1400 Go
(2) 80GB Segate HDs: RAID0
*Gentoo-x86_64-2.6.30-r1
heipei
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, i already thought it could be that since i read about similar problems in other threads. this really sucks, since updating my kernel with all the local root exploits seems like a good idea right now ;)
heipei
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think i solved the problem.

the solution is not to update the dmraid the system is running, as a matter of fact the version of this dmraid doenst even matter, but the dmraid genkernel uses to generate the initramfs.

genkernel uses the version in /usr/share/genkernel/pkg/x86_64 to create the cpio out of which the initramfs gets generated.

now, im quite sure my solution is not the most elegant one, but after a few hours of confusion i have kernel 2.6.18 running with dmraid

a little overview about what to do:

1. download http://people.redhat.com/~heinzm/sw/dmraid/tst/old/dmraid-1.0.0.rc11-pre1.tar.bz2
2. untar, configure with --enable-static_link
3. make
4. create a tmp somewhere and an sbin as subdir. cp tools/dmraid to tmp/sbin/
5. go to tmp and issue " find . -print| cpio -o -H newc > ../initramfs-dmraid-1.0.0.rc10.cpio"
6. gzip the .cpio with "gzip -9 initramfs-dmraid-1.0.0.rc10.cpio"
7. copy the resulting .gz to /usr/share/genkernel/pkg/x86_64/cpio/initramfs-dmraid-1.0.0.rc10.cpio.gz (yes, overwrite)
8. edit /usr/share/genkernel/gen_initramfs.sh and comment line 596 (create_dmraid_cpio)
9. make sure your /usr/src/linux links to the kernel you want and run genkernel --dmraid initrd

now you should be ready to go. as always, your mileage may vary (dramatically probably ;). it is working for me. if it doesnt work and you get the prompt while booting, start the shell and issue "dmraid -V" to see if its really the -rc11 which is in your initrd or -rc10.

a few tipps to help debug the whole thing (took me a while):
1. to check if the .cpio file is ok you can use "less initramfs-dmraid-1.0.0.rc10.cpio" and should see sbin and sbin/dmraid
2. to make sure the stupid genkernel doesnt delete our own initramfs-cpio-gz-file make a md5sum of #7 before and after using genkernel (if it changes you didnt comment out the function call "create_dmraid_cpio" like in #8
hope i could help some ppl ;)
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For x86 at least, Isn't it easier to use http://people.redhat.com/~heinzm/sw/dmraid/tst/dmraid-1.0.0.rc12-pre1.static (the static binary) and directly copy onto sbin in genkernel generated initramfs? all you will need to do is unpack in tmp place, copy and pack it up again. e.g. rough steps would be

Code:

cd /tmp
mkdir temp-initramfs
cd temp-initramfs
cp /boot/my-non-working-initramfs.gz .
gunzip my-non-working-initramfs.gz
cat  my-non-working-initramfs| (cpio -i -d -m)
rm -f my-non-working-initramfs
cp /tmp/dmraid-1.0.0.rc12-pre1.static sbin/dmraid
find . | cpio --quiet -o -H newc | gzip -9 > /boot/my-working-initramfs.gz

wouldn't this work?
heipei
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont know, as you can see im not an expert and just discovered my method by trial and error. im always happy if someone finds a better solution, so keep posting about it ;)

i guess my method is useful if you want to modify the rest of your initrd again (for some reason). with the modified genkernel script you can rebuild it with the genkernel command while the dmraid-cpio-file remains the same. on the other hand, if genkernel gets updated you have to do it again. i dont know. feedback is expected ;)
LoSeR_5150
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe I have found an easier solution... I modified my /etc/genkernel.conf ... edited

Code:

DMRAID_VER="1.0.0.rc10"
DMRAID_DIR="dmraid/${DMRAID_VER}"
DMRAID_SRCTAR="${GK_SHARE}/pkg/dmraid-${DMRAID_VER}.tar.bz2"
DMRAID_BINCACHE="%%CACHE%%/dmraid-${DMRAID_VER}-%%ARCH%%.tar.bz2"

to

Code:

DMRAID_VER="1.0.0.rc11"
DMRAID_DIR="dmraid/${DMRAID_VER}"
DMRAID_SRCTAR="${GK_SHARE}/pkg/dmraid-${DMRAID_VER}.tar.bz2"
DMRAID_BINCACHE="%%CACHE%%/dmraid-${DMRAID_VER}-%%ARCH%%.tar.bz2"

then I downloaded
http://people.redhat.com/~heinzm/sw/dmraid/tst/old/dmraid-1.0.0.rc11-pre1.tar.bz2
to /usr/share/genkernel/pkg/
and renamed it to dmraid-1.0.0.rc11.tar.bz2 because the pre1 confuses genkernel.

after that I re-ran genkernel --menuconfig --dmraid --gensplash=livecd-2006.0 all , installed my kernel and rebooted Now I have a 2.6.17 kernel. Hope this helps someone

Code:

Purgatory pkg # emerge --info
Portage 2.1.1_pre4-r1 (default-linux/amd64/2006.0, gcc-4.1.1/amd64-vanilla, glibc-2.4-r3, 2.6.17-gentoo-r4 x86_64)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.6.17-gentoo-r4 x86_64 Dual Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 175
Gentoo Base System version 1.12.1
ccache version 2.4 [enabled]
app-admin/eselect-compiler: 2.0.0_rc2-r1
dev-lang/python:     2.4.3-r1
dev-python/pycrypto: 2.0.1-r5
dev-util/ccache:     2.4-r2
dev-util/confcache:  [Not Present]
sys-apps/sandbox:    1.2.18.1
sys-devel/autoconf:  2.13, 2.60
sys-devel/automake:  1.4_p6, 1.5, 1.6.3, 1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3, 1.9.6-r2
sys-devel/binutils:  2.17
sys-devel/gcc-config: [Not Present]
sys-devel/libtool:   1.5.22
virtual/os-headers:  2.6.16
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64 ~amd64"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CBUILD="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=opteron -O2 -fno-ident -ftracer -fweb -msse3 -pipe"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/kde/3.5/env /usr/kde/3.5/share/config /usr/kde/3.5/shutdown /usr/share/X11/xkb /usr/share/config"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/env.d /etc/env.d/java/ /etc/eselect/compiler /etc/gconf /etc/java-config/vms/ /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/splash /etc/terminfo"
CXXFLAGS="-march=opteron -O2 -fno-ident -ftracer -fweb -msse3 -pipe -fno-enforce-eh-specs -fvisibility-inlines-hidden"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="autoconfig ccache distlocks metadata-transfer sandbox sfperms strict"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.osuosl.org/ "
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1"
MAKEOPTS="-j3"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --delete-after --stats --timeout=180 --exclude='/distfiles' --exclude='/local' --exclude='/packages'"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.us.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="X acpi alsa amd64 avi berkdb bitmap-fonts bzip2 cdparanoia cdr cli crypt cups dbus dio directfb dlloader dri dvd dvdr dvdread eds emboss emul-linux-x86 encode fam fbcon foomaticdb fortran gif gnome gpm gstreamer gtk gtk2 hal imlib isdnlog ithreads java javascript jpeg kdeenablefinal kdehiddenvisibility lzw lzw-tiff mp3 mpeg ncurses nls nptl nptlonly nsplugin offensive opengl pam pcre pdf pdflib perl png pni pppd python qt qt3 qt4 quicktime readline reflection sdl session spell spl ssl symlink tcpd threads tiff truetype truetype-fonts type1-fonts usb xmms xorg xpm xv xvid zlib elibc_glibc input_devices_keyboard input_devices_mouse kernel_linux userland_GNU video_cards_nvidia"
Unset:  CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, INSTALL_MASK, LANG, LC_ALL, LINGUAS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS

640GB Western Digital HD
*Gentoo-x86_64-2.6.30-r1

Opteron175@2.2GHz
2GB DDR 400MHz
256MB Quadro 1400 Go
*Gentoo-x86_64-2.6.30-r1
heipei
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool, will try it next time i have to create an initrd and genkernel isnt up to date ;)
LoSeR_5150
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an update regarding my fix... It will only work with genkernel-3.3 ... I updated to genkernel-3.4 and edited my /etc/genkernel like last time however upon boot it would not be able to find a valid root device. I am using genkernel-3.3.11d and all is well again.
640GB Western Digital HD
*Gentoo-x86_64-2.6.30-r1

Opteron175@2.2GHz
2GB DDR 400MHz
256MB Quadro 1400 Go
*Gentoo-x86_64-2.6.30-r1
ajez
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoSeR_5150 wrote:
I have an update regarding my fix... It will only work with genkernel-3.3 ... I updated to genkernel-3.4 and edited my /etc/genkernel like last time however upon boot it would not be able to find a valid root device. I am using genkernel-3.3.11d and all is well again.

I Have the same problem .. how i can go back to genkernel 3.3.11d ?? thanks
LoSeR_5150
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajez wrote:
LoSeR_5150 wrote:

just add the line... >=sys-kernel/genkernel-3.4 to /etc/portage/package.mask and then just emerge genkernel. Hope this helps. ciao
640GB Western Digital HD
*Gentoo-x86_64-2.6.30-r1

Opteron175@2.2GHz
2GB DDR 400MHz
256MB Quadro 1400 Go
*Gentoo-x86_64-2.6.30-r1
ajez
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoSeR_5150 wrote:
ajez wrote:
LoSeR_5150 wrote:

just add the line... >=sys-kernel/genkernel-3.4 to /etc/portage/package.mask and then just emerge genkernel. Hope this helps. ciao

done in another way .. thanks anyway :D
blackbusa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any suggestions for how to fix this problem if you don't use genkernel? I had always built my kernels by hand and recently started using the dmraidinitrd script to build an initrd and it will not work now either.

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Install_Gentoo_with_NVRAID_using_dmraid (using dmraidinitird linuxrc initrd - to create the image)

I built an overlay for dmraid 1.0.0_rc10 and used it with device-mapper 1.02.08. I actually had this working on 2.6.16-nitro1 sources. Nothing 2.17.x builds at all including beyond3 and ck-sources. From what I gather it is making /dev/mapper/control and that is it, no /dev/mapper/nvidia_foobar.

Any help would be appreciated.
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its fairly straightforward with dmraidinitird. It has dmraid version in there. Use rc11-test from "tst" directory instead of the rc10 version, go to the website and traverse the tree. If you still can't figure it, post back.
blackbusa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devsk: Thanks for the reply.

I figured it out last night and came back to post that I found the solution. You are indeed correct rc11 is what it takes. I modified my overlay and the dmraidinitrd script so they both use rc11. Both work fine with device-mapper 1.02.08 contrary to what the gentoo-wiki HOWTO explains to change it to 1.01.05. Maybe that was an old workaround and is not up to date.
mightymephisto
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have managed to install dmraid-1.0.0.rc12-pre1 with gentoo sources 2.6.17-r7, however my extended partition is not mapped. I have partitions 1 -> 11 (for dual boot with windows), but only 1->3 are listed.

The system will still boot, but I only have my /boot and / partitions.

If I use fdisk then all 11 partitions are listed when I print the partition table.

Has anybody had the same problem or does anybody know of a fix?
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please file a bug asap. It may have been introduced in rc12-pre1, because rc11-pre1 worked very well here. Also, try using rc11.
mightymephisto
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still have the same problem with r11-pre1.
burger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: BIOS raid problems with the Gentoo 2006.1 liveCD for AMD64. Reply with quote

Hi, I can't get my BIOS raid working with the Gentoo 2006.1 liveCD for AMD64.

I'm using a ASUS N2N32-SLI Deluxe motherboard and running RAID 0 on two harddrives.
The kernel finds /dev/sda and /dev/sdb but in /dev/mapper/ there is only one file and not the raid device =(

What do I need to get it working? I have tried booding with knoppix dvd and it found my raid but couldn't use it.
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

If you have BIOS RAID, aka FAKE RAID, you need to use dmraid. At the cd boot, did you add the dodmraid option?
You might have a problem when compiling the kernel to support dmraid. You will need either to use a 2.6.15 kernel with the previous dmraid version, or you will need to update the Portage tree, emerge --sync, to get the new dmraid that was released earlier today / last few days.
By the way, you'll be better off usinng kernel RAID in Linux than BIOS RAID.

Your twisted, but hopefully friendly daemon.
AMD64 / x86 / Sparc Gentoo
Help answer || emwrap.sh
burger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmbsvicetto wrote:
Hi.

If you have BIOS RAID, aka FAKE RAID, you need to use dmraid. At the cd boot, did you add the dodmraid option?
You might have a problem when compiling the kernel to support dmraid. You will need either to use a 2.6.15 kernel with the previous dmraid version, or you will need to update the Portage tree, emerge --sync, to get the new dmraid that was released earlier today / last few days.
By the way, you'll be better off usinng kernel RAID in Linux than BIOS RAID.

Hi, yes, but the livecd don't have dmraid =( and I tried the dodmraid option, but nothing new in /dev/mapper/ =(
I can try to update the portage tree on the livecd and check if I can get dmraid compiled.

Yes I know that kernel RAID in Linux is better, but I use the same drives for Windows XP and Windows Vista so I have to use FAKE RAID =(
blackbusa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new problem with dmraid-1.0.0_rc12. It builds, but wont install. It looks like it finds the old lib in use, as it is because the raid file system is mounted.

Booting the livecd doenst look like an options, as at some point the drives will have to be mounted.
Any Ideas???

make -C lib install
make[1]: Entering directory `/var/tmp/portage/dmraid-1.0.0_rc12/work/dmraid/1.0.0.rc12-pre1/lib'
../lib/libdmraid.a ../lib/libdmraid.a
Installing ../lib/libdmraid.a in /usr/lib64
ACCESS DENIED unlink: /usr/lib64/libdmraid.a
/bin/install: cannot remove `/usr/lib64/libdmraid.a': Permission denied
make[1]: *** [install_dmraid_libs] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/dmraid-1.0.0_rc12/work/dmraid/1.0.0.rc12-pre1/lib'
make: *** [lib.install] Error 2

!!! ERROR: sys-fs/dmraid-1.0.0_rc12 failed.
Call stack:
ebuild.sh, line 1543: Called dyn_install
ebuild.sh, line 1017: Called src_install
dmraid-1.0.0_rc12.ebuild, line 53: Called die

!!! emake install failed
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.

--------------------------- ACCESS VIOLATION SUMMARY ---------------------------
LOG FILE = "/var/log/sandbox/sandbox-sys-fs_-_dmraid-1.0.0_rc12-25739.log"

unlink: /usr/lib64/libdmraid.a
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's an ebuild problem. Where did you get the ebuild from? If it is in portage tree, file a bug. A sandbox violation is a bug in the ebuild. It should install everything under /var/tmp/portage/dmraid-<x>/image/ and then merge it on to '/' during 'merge' phase, should not write anything to '/' during the 'install' phase.
blackbusa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right out of portage tree. Bug filed: #146203
krnlbg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

I have a problem like this.
When i using LiveCD 2006.1 with dodmraid option, i can't detect my fakeraid device(NVRAID 0) in /dev/mapper, but with 2006.0 it's ok.
May be that's because kernel 2.6.17 and dmraid 1.0.0-rc8?

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-477650.html
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: