View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sammael
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: utf8 not working always? Reply with quote

hi, i followed the gentoo handbook on utf8 every single step (three times!) but, some characters still shows up as rectangle or question mark. also in console although i am using terminus font suggested by the guide, if i edit file with accented characters i can't see them.

output of locale:
high-flyer ! backup # locale
LANG=
LC_CTYPE="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=en_GB.UTF-8

i am of slovak origin, but i prefer all my appz in english. i only need to see accented characters e.g. when i browse some czech/slovak page

or should i set my locale to sk_SK.UTF-8? but wouldn't that mean i'll have my appz in slovak?

well, that's strange, i was just about to post some accented characters here, but when i write them here, i can see them.
the problematic chars for me re:

nearly all in console (e.g. nano somefile, mcedit somefile,...)

in firefox/konqueror/etc: ľ ť ě ů

thing is, on some pages it§s okay, on others only few characters are missing and on some nearly all accented characters are messed up. but when i was using suse, all of them worked perfectly. so i guess i am doing something wrong, but i can't figure what it is...

i am using the same font for whole linux - Bitstream Vera Sans, and terminus for konsole.

can anybody please help me?
R!tman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your console problems may be related to your console. Are you using a utf8 console?

In firefox, you have the possibility to switch to other encodings. You do that in Edit->Preferences. I'm using utf8 there (as well as in thunderbird), but how characters on webpages (and in emails) look like doesn't only depend on your settings (at least I think so).
If the encoding on a webpages is not fully compatible with utf8, there will be those question marks.

BTW, I also see a question mark in your post ;-). It's located in the sentence: "thing is, on some pages it[question mark]s okay, ..."
sammael
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R!tman wrote:
Your console problems may be related to your console. Are you using a utf8 console?

i did all the steps in gentoo utf8 how to, also on boot it states setting utf8to console

R!tman wrote:
In firefox, you have the possibility to switch to other encodings. You do that in Edit->Preferences. I'm using utf8 there (as well as in thunderbird), but how characters on webpages (and in emails) look like doesn't only depend on your settings (at least I think so).If the encoding on a webpages is not fully compatible with utf8, there will be those question marks.

i tried setting it to utf8, but it didn't help. in suse it worked even if i had encoding set to iso8859-1. but i do not want to go back to suse :(

R!tman wrote:
BTW, I also see a question mark in your post ;-). It's located in the sentence: "thing is, on some pages it[question mark]s okay, ..."

8O well something is clearly wrong. that question mark you see is a paragraph sign and i can see it all right.

But what is wrong? anyway, thanks for your suggestions

*EDIT*
just noticed, i can't see that u with two spots in your location. it should read Zurich, but i see it as Z[big A with tilde over it][one quarter sign]rich
Gergan Penkov
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have made a new install recently on a laptop and in fact I see such utf problems in the console, messed characters, mc is messed and so on. In X all is just fine and in terminal these applications behave fine. The configurations are the same as on my desktop system - I have seen a bug report about ncurses installs two versions of its libraries - unicode and just ascii, which leads to problems. Probably I should rebuild system to see if this helps.

On a side note it should be Zürich :), and I don't have problems with the characters in your post.
Be glad you finally walked away or you may have not lived another day."
Godsmack
sammael
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gergan Penkov wrote:
I have made a new install recently on a laptop and in fact I see such utf problems in the console, messed characters, mc is messed and so on. In X all is just fine and in terminal these applications behave fine. The configurations are the same as on my desktop system - I have seen a bug report about ncurses installs two versions of its libraries - unicode and just ascii, which leads to problems. Probably I should rebuild system to see if this helps.

On a side note it should be :), and I don't have problems with the characters in your post.

well i wish you good luck with rebuiding system, though if that is only solution i'd rather not see some chars... btw, i know it should read Zürich, but i do not know how to write an ü :oops:
Gergan Penkov
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I have a german keyboard, so it is easy for me :)
I have almost the same setup as you want, the system itself is :
Quote:
locale
LANG=en_US.utf8
LC_CTYPE="en_US.utf8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.utf8"
LC_TIME="en_US.utf8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.utf8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.utf8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.utf8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.utf8"
LC_NAME="en_US.utf8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.utf8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.utf8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.utf8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.utf8"
LC_ALL=

but I am using and viewing texts, written in cyrillic and german without any problems in terminal, firefox and so on.
Godsmack
R!tman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gergan Penkov wrote:
On a side note it should be Z�rich :), and I don't have problems with the characters in your post.

This is exactly what I'm talking about... For me, Zürich looks right in my profile. But when you write it (also in the quote) the umlaut looks like a quotation mark to me.

I entered the umlaut using utf8 in firefox.
Gergan Penkov
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is strange as it is only in your profile, where die Umlaute look in such way, the german sub-forums look just normal and I don't need to switch the browser encoding - it stays on automatic.
Godsmack
sammael
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gergan Penkov wrote:
This is strange as it is only in your profile, where die Umlaute look in such way, the german sub-forums look just normal and I don't need to switch the browser encoding - it stays on automatic.

that's exactly what i'm talking about... but i can'tfigure out what's wrong. i noticed, while editing post, that all accented characters work perfectly in it, regardless of firefox encoding. it's strange...
sammael
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:47 am    Post subject: still doesn't work Reply with quote

hello, anybody experiencing something like this?

anybody?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: