Sun Ultra 10 2.6.17 Kernel Install Error
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maxjg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:56 am    Post subject: Sun Ultra 10 2.6.17 Kernel Install Error Reply with quote

OK, I am trying to install it on my sun ultra 10, and can boot it from the cdrom, and it gets to the point where it says:
Autoscrambling password for security

Then it says
livecd login:root(automatic)
or something along the lines of that
It keeps failing, and then gives me this message:

INIT:respawing too fast, disabled for 5 minutes.

It just keeps doing this over and over.
Thanks for your help,
Max
Nostalos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went through this issue a while back. Could be wrong, but sounds like you are connecting to the serial port for install perhaps with a terminal concentrator like I was. The wiring guys where only connecting transmit/receive pair and not CTR/DTR pair. INIT is trying to spawn agetty on your serial port and is not seeing CTR/DTR. I had to connect with a true null modem cable. Once it was up and installed i had to add the "-L" option to inittab for the serial port for the console to use the terminal concentrator connectivity.
maxjg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Nostalos"]Went through this issue a while back. Could be wrong, but sounds like you are connecting to the serial port for install perhaps with a terminal concentrator like I was. The wiring guys where only connecting transmit/receive pair and not CTR/DTR pair. INIT is trying to spawn agetty on your serial port and is not seeing CTR/DTR. I had to connect with a true null modem cable. Once it was up and installed i had to add the "-L" option to inittab for the serial port for the console to use the terminal concentrator connectivity.[/quote]

Yeah, do I need to connect null modem? All I have connected now is the keyboard, ethernet, and moniter.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: