Need help upgrading to 2006.0
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjensen42
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Need help upgrading to 2006.0 Reply with quote

Hi,

I've been reading all the docs I can find online, and I understand that internal changes in gcc require a full system rebuild as part of upgrading from 2005.1 to 2006. I just want to be sure I fully understand the process before I start (again), so I'm hoping that someone is willing to provide me with a rough step-by-step.

I'm running a fairly current stock 2005.1 installation, but with a 2.6 kernel (~sparc), and using udev instead of devfs. Other than that, everything is very normal -- it's an older system (ultra enterprise 1) that I use as web/scripting testbed and occassional server; the only non-system software installed are openssh, apache2, php, and related packages.

I just tried linking /etc/make.profile to the 2006.0 profile and doing a "emerge -e world", as per the upgrade docs on gentoo.org. This failed on step 40 of 132, compiling glibc. It complained about my kernel headers not matching the requested kernel version. The installed headers are from 2.4, mostly because someone told me they needed to match what glibc had been compiled with, not the current kernel.

Should I just install new headers, then repeat the "emerge -e world"? If so, should the headers match my current kernel, or the one I expect to end up with once I'm running with the new profile?

Or should I start by rebuilding my kernel with the 2006.0 stable 2.6 version and matching headers, THEN do the system rebuild? Then I'll end up with a kernel built using the old gcc -- is that ok?

The gentoo.org doc about the the gcc differences made it sound like I was supposed to first upgrade gcc, then rebuild the toolchain, THEN do the system rebuild?

It'd probably be easier just to reinstall from a fresh ISO of the 2006.0 image, but I really want to grok how this all works. Can anyone help?

Thanks!!!

-Marc-
Adrien
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi !
What you should do is (after changing the profile as you did) compile the new kernel, update the kernel-headers install udev and remove devfs, update your config files properly.
Then reboot into your system with the new kernel and after that, emerge -u glibc and emerge -e world if you want. This should be ok.
glibc with nptl enabled will refuse to compile with old kernel-headers and/or old kernel.
mjensen42
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! But at what point in that sequence should I start using the new (3.4.x) version of gcc?
Adrien wrote:
What you should do is (after changing the profile as you did) compile the new kernel, update the kernel-headers install udev and remove devfs, update your config files properly. Then reboot into your system with the new kernel and after that, emerge -u glibc and emerge -e world if you want. This should be ok. glibc with nptl enabled will refuse to compile with old kernel-headers and/or old kernel.
Adrien
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjensen42 wrote:
Thanks! But at what point in that sequence should I start using the new (3.4.x) version of gcc?

After rebooting, and only if you really need it I'd say... :)
mjensen42
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Things seem to be working now.

I went ahead and did the upgrade to gcc-3.4 just now (I hate being out-of-date), so my poor single-processor system is slowly working on "emerge -e world". It'll probably finish sometime tomorrow. :-)

Thanks for the help!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: