Building lablgtk crashes entire system
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wzzrd
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 7:48 am    Post subject: Building lablgtk crashes entire system Reply with quote

I hope this is the correct forum to ask:

When I build lablgtk (as a dependancy of mldonkey, since I wanted to try donkeying in linux), my whole system crashes. Perhaps deamons still run (haven´t tried ssh access in this 'crashed' state), but X locks, the consoles lock, the keyboard stops responding etc. right after this pops up on the console / terminal
Quote:
ocamlopt opt -I /usr/lib/ocaml/lablGL -w s -c gtkBin.ml

Is this some nasty thing that has got something to do with using gcc 3.2.1 from the testing/unstable-portage tree? Pretty steep if so;, a warning before the 'emerge -p gcc' command executed wouldn´t have hurt! (Oh, btw, yes, I had to rebuild my gcc because of an arror in portage 2.0.46, so I (silly me) accidently built gcc 3.2.1. Don´t really feel like rebuilding it yet again).

Anyway, do you guys build lablgtk without trouble? Do I have to downgrade my gcc? Is it common for beta-versions of gcc to crash entire computers (* mental note: never install beta-gcc again, in that case)? I think I built (I´m pretty sure I built) both mozilla 1.2.1 AND galeon yesterday AFTER rebuilding gcc though...
wzzrd
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whaa! Just read a post below concerning gcc 3.2.1 Okay, there was a warning :P I just didn´t see it.

Building java with it now though. No errors as of yet :)
Vandroiy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I ask how you solved your problem? I am having the same issue here :cry:

Thanks!
Vandroiy.
wzzrd
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while, but I think I just upgraded my gcc
Vandroiy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm I have gcc version 3.2.2 which should be pretty up-to-date. I've recently read here, that lowering the level of "aggression" while compiling (my settings are -O 3) might help, I haven't tested this, though. Thanks for your answer!

Vandroiy.
panserg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my case (several x86 and ppc boxes) lablgl just failed to emerge (lost log files to paste here). But crashing the rest of the system? Locking X, console and keyboard? Nah, never. Neither with lablgl nor with any other package. Neither on Gentoo nor on any other Linux (or BSD) distro.

The worst I had when gcc is failed with signal 11 - but that usually on systems with bad (physically) RAM.

The only thing I can try to explain is that in the middle of emerge it's trying to connect to X and it does it wrong. For example, on some of my boxen (mostly on ppc ones) xscreensaver locks X when playing OpenGL - I have to avoid 3d savers in xscreensaver by that reason (pain in my neck). But the system wasn't crashed - only X server was locked. So, I've connected through ssh, defined in top who is the bad guy and killed him with -9 gun :)

Theoretically, if you have "sandbox userpriv" in your features in /etc/make.conf - that should not happen, just make sure you emerge everything from the shell, which doesn't have any localhost X11 permissions (tip: xhost). However, I am not sure if it's enough to protect your X from broken opengl-calling ebuilds.

I am very interested to see "why" answers - maybe it's something I should count in future before moving Gentoo desktops to the production.
Vandroiy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I am not sure about the state of the system, if it really crashed or just the keyboard was locked. I have no other box to log in from, so I couldn't test this. I am using a usb keyboard, maybe this wouldn't have happened when using a ps/2 one.
But I can exclude X from being the reason for the "system lock", because it wasn't even running when I was trying to emerge lablgtk.

Vandroiy.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: