New Install Question
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomatopi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: New Install Question Reply with quote

I'm a newbie to installing Gentoo on Sparc, though I have around 10 x86 Gentoo machines. I have one question. Is there a way of installing the 2.6 kernel in a fresh install off the boot CD? I'm afraid of just unmasking the 2.6 kernel in case it may break something. Do I have to install with the sparc-sources kernel and then upgrade to the gentoo-sources later? Or is there an experimental 2.6 install CD image someplace?

I followed the Sparc Handbook for a stage-3 install (though I usually do stage 1 for x86) and it seems 2.4 based and doesn't give much info about the 2.6 kernel. I would have no problem doing a stage-1 install that would work. It's a little SunFire V100 I plan for a webserver.

Thanks
gust4voz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest experimental livecd @ http://dev.gentoo.org/~gustavoz/sparc/experimental/ sports a 2.6 kernel.
Basically use a regular stage, switch to a 2.6 profile and re-emerge linux-headers and glibc.
tomatopi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the experimental CD and I'm not having much luck. I get:

Allocated 8 Megs of memory at 0x40000000 for kernel
Loaded kernel version 2.6.17
Loading initial ramdisk (645170 bytes at 0x6F802000 phys, 0x40C00000 virt)...
Illegal Instruction

The same thing happens with the 2.6.16 kernel. What are my options to get a Sun w/ 2.6 kernel at this point?
gust4voz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible to do 2.4 first then upgrade to 2.6, but the CD should work.
Do you have the latest OBP version?
rongfei
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: My ultra 60 runging with kernel 2.6.15 well Reply with quote

The sun machine is doing well with the kernel 2.6.15.When I installed gentoo linux on the box ,I just complied the kernel source that I downloaded in the kernel.org website.There was noting going wrong.
The sun machine:
ultra sparc64 *2 296MHZ
512M memory
30GB IBM SCSI harddisk and a 305GB SCSI array.
tomatopi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... The 2.6 cd doesn't seem to boot for me. I checked my OBP and it looks like I'm not up to date. Is there any way of updating the OBP without Solaris? It's a used server and I don't have Solaris on it. All to documentation says to get Solaris down to single-user mode, but that doesn't really help all that much.
Weeve
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For most machines, you can netboot the OBP update. For a guide on how to do this, look at the Gentoo documentation for setting up a netboot server, but instead of using the experimental netboot image, use the OBP update.
tomatopi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I got my PROM updated to the latest I could find on Sun's Site - 4.0.18. But the 2.16.x experimental CD still won't boot and gives the same error. Neither 2.6.17 or 2.6.16 will boot.

It's a SunFire V100 server - 550MHz UltraSPARC IIe with 1G RAM and two 20G IDE drives. Any clues?
Weeve
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it still the same problem or a different one?
tomatopi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's exactly the same error and same message. I even re-burned a new CD and it didn't help.
Weeve
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the older SUN CD-ROM drives are sensative to how a CD is burned. For the more picky drives, 4x has been shown to be a safe speed to burn at.

If that's not, I'm not sure what to suggest.
tomatopi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give that a go and see what happens. Worst case, I suppose I can install the 2006.0 image and then upgrade to the 2.6 kernel. A bit of a pain, but probably not too hard to deal with.

Are there any easy documents on the 2.4 -> 2.6 upgrade or is it just changing profiles, merging headers, compiling kernel, etc.?
gust4voz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically changing profiles, emerge -u linux-headers glibc, unmerge devfsd, merge udev and you're set ebuild-wise.
Config-wise switch the keymaps to pc-style (us instead of sunkemap for example).
gust4voz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and emerge/build/set gentoo-sources too :-)
tomatopi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the time being, I skipped trying the 2.6 kernel on the V100 and instead tried it on an Ultra 10. It booted fine and I got everything to compile. I do have a boot issue that it can't read the file system even though everything required is compiled into the kernel, not as modules (IDE and FS support). Basically "invalid root=/dev/hda1", though it mounts fine with the LiveCD. Is it reccommended to use an initrd image with Sun? My Googling seems to say this, though I haven't tried yet.

On an aside, I have 4 200GB IDE drives. There's some conflicting info on if these would work in V100's or the Ultra 10. Anybody have any real answers? The big drives are just collecting dust now and 9GB IDE rather sucks.
tomatopi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I started back on my V100 project with no luck. I tried the 2006.1 Minimal and the Universal CD's and both ended with the exact same Illegal Instruction as before. I went back and used the 2006.0 CD and now I'm trying to switch to the 2006.1 profile. However, GCC keeps failing:

Code:
make[2]: *** [unprotoize.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs...
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.4.6-r1/worl/build/gcc'

It always ends at that same spot. For the heck of it, I tried to bootstrap and gcc fails at the same point. I'm getting rather frustrated with this machine. I did successfully install Solaris 10 on it in order to upgrade the OBP so I can't see it being a problem with the server. I also tried 2 different CD's of 2006.1 to eliminate the possibility of a bad CD.

Are there any clues to this one? I'm getting close to ditching this V100 idea and using another x86 system I have kicking around.
Ferris
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a bug on this --- https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=147477 --- and I believe there is an emergency work-around. The users' comments suggest that right now, if you see this failure, when you build gcc you should specify
MAKEOPTS='-j1'
and the build should complete successfully.

Hope this helps,
gust4voz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The V100-class machines are kind of picky about OBP. We've seen in the past that they don't like the new silo if they have booted solaris before. If you avoid solaris booting it should be clean. Then again it's maybe an OBP version problem too if it's old.
tomatopi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting. I know it's got the latest OBP. It has booted Solaris in order to update the OBP, but it's been off and sitting on a shelf for the past few weeks. I tried to reset the OBP to defaults, but I'm not sure that did anything. When I tried again, it still does't want to boot 2006.1. I'd much rather boot the 2006.1 CD directly as I'm finding all kinds of quirkiness trying to book the 2006.0 and then switch profiles and upgrade from there.

This V100 is a little less enjoyable than I originally planned. Being destined as a co-lo server, I'm a little nervous about this little guy.
tomatopi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update. Today I downloaded and burnt a new 2006.1 CD since I read there were minor changes since the original release. This time, it boots. At first it hung at free_all_bootmem() but I added nogdm and nousb to the kerenel parameters and it booted fine. I'm using a serial terminal so I didn't need gdm and I won't need USB as a webserver, either. Convenient.

I'm all excited now to get my Sun server going as a little webserver. It's currently building software RAID (hope that works).

Is there anything else I should watch out for on a V100 (Netra X1 is the same)?
tomatopi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I have progress, but I've hit a stumbling block.

The V100 is a headless server (similar to Netra X1). I think I have a "console" error now. It starts SILO and starts to boot OK. Then it hits the Booting Linux... stage and "clears" the screen a couple times, similar to what the LiveCD does. However, it stops there. The LiveCD would start showing the boot process at this point.

I guess I'm just not all that familiar with what I need in my kernel config to get the display to work when the system doesn't actually have a console. I have the PROM console selected, but I don't know what else I need. Incidentally, I can get into the lom> prompt and the reset command will actually reset the system.

Any hints would be much appreciated.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: