Gnome 2 on PPC report
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gerk
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 5:19 pm    Post subject: Gnome 2 on PPC report Reply with quote

Well, gnome 2 compiled on my PPC, here's a report of the results to date:

I had to emerge -u gnome-session a second time to have it install the gnome-session binary file (why I don't yet know).

most things appear to work (pretty much), or at least from my little playing with it this morning. Some things that don't work of note are:

1) it can't read jpgs on my setup (?)
    2) I get constant errors about a sidebar note panel which reccomends to be turned off (how to turn it off I don't know yet, forgive the gnome newbieness)
    3) it seems to have killed several of my older gnome probgrams that depended on gnome-1.4 components.

Personally I am not a big fan of it, but it is semi working ATM and I thought it was worthy of a post here. It's bleeding edge (at least on PPC) IMHO, but people will want it without a doubt ;)

Any experiences would be great to hear from other PPC users

Gerk
Stummel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

compiling gnome 2 worked for me (ti-book)- except metacity. Maybe thats because of gcc 3.1.

I've got the same problems with jpgs. Nautilus can preview them, but eog fails.

I've got another strange problem. If i start gnome with startx I can open gnome terminals. If i use gdm, gnome terminals fail with could not execute command: no such file.

CU Stummel
doppler
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 9:49 pm    Post subject: My experiences Reply with quote

I've compiled Gnome2 on a tibook 667. Seems fine except for the Nautilus sidebar components not working.

Metacity compiled fine for me. I'm using the default gcc, though I'm not on that system at the moment and can't recall which version of gcc I'm using.

I love the way the configuration GUIs work immediately, not requiring a click on 'Apply' or 'OK'. Really nice.
Gerk
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stummel wrote:
Hi,

compiling gnome 2 worked for me (ti-book)- except metacity. Maybe thats because of gcc 3.1.

I've got the same problems with jpgs. Nautilus can preview them, but eog fails.

I've got another strange problem. If i start gnome with startx I can open gnome terminals. If i use gdm, gnome terminals fail with could not execute command: no such file.

CU Stummel

Gcc 3.1 on powerpc? Are you mad? ;) FWIW gcc 3.1 is stil known to have some big problems on powerpc, so it's not for the faint of heart.

Don't know about the terminal stuff at all, I barely use gnome, sorry :(
Stummel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Gcc 3.1 on powerpc? Are you mad? ;) FWIW gcc 3.1 is stil known to have some big problems on powerpc, so it's not for the faint of heart.

Yeah. GCC 3.1 rocks. I just had to patch a few packages. The only packages that are still broken are Firebird and Mozilla (but w3m rocks too).
It runs stable and it's very fast.

CU Stummel
junior
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really love it, no matter what other people say :wink:
specially the fontmanagement is fantatstic! i have also installed xchat 1.9.1 and gimp 1.3.7 which are somewhat like 'optimized' for gnome2... looks really really nice!
the terminal will work fine when you define a shell for the user who starts gnome terminal. ('chsh -s /bin/bash username' for example)

sam
intastella
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know how to get jpegs working in gnome 2? Gnome 2 is great and has a real nice fit and finish but this is really bugging me because I can't set a desktop picture.

Thanks

Don
Gerk
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

several others had same problems including myself, no known fix as of yet tho :(
AfterShoxX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, seems noone is having the same problems as I. 8O

When I start gnome, or any xwindows manager, I am unable to switch consoles, or logout without nothing but a blank screen showing up (and I mean blank, doesn't even emit light blank, same happens when I try to switch to another console). I've been racked in thought for a few days now and was thinking that maybe it was due to my not bieng able to get agp working (Radeon AGP), but I honestly have no clue :( . Maybe I missed a vital conf file.

Any help would be appreciated mates, thanks in advance.
intastella
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've been racked in thought for a few days now and was thinking that maybe it was due to my not bieng able to get agp working (Radeon AGP), but I honestly have no clue . Maybe I missed a vital conf file.

Maybe you should check that you have agp enabled in the kernel. I found this guys page a good reference for ppc kernel options.

http://neugierig.org/content/tibook/

I also assume you are using Xeasyconf to configure X. The safer auto select option there would be a good start as well.

Don
AfterShoxX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 10:56 pm    Post subject: AGP Problems Reply with quote

Thanks for the help mate :D , although I do have compiled, first as a module and now into the kernel itself. I'm thinking there is something wrong with my /dev/agpgart, has anyone else have problems with this?

BTW, I now have XFree up and running, with DRI working no less! (Just not agp) 8O
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: