ip30/octane -- which arch?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
e-ipi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: ip30/octane -- which arch? Reply with quote

I'm somewhat confused as to which architecture/userland is best for my Octane gentoo install. I gather that I need a 64 bit kernel no matter which way I go, and the handbook suggests that I'll need a 64 bit toolchain to compile my kernels anyway. I don't see any 64 bit stage 3 tarballs, and there are postings from about a year ago warning against n32. Do those warnings still apply?

Bear in mind that nothing on this machine is "mission critical" or "production" or anything like that -- it's 100% hobby.
Redhatter
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You use the 32-bit ones... the 64-bit toolchain is installed by merging the kgcc64 ebuild.

Gentoo/MIPS Cobalt developer, Mozilla herd member.
Kumba
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: ip30/octane -- which arch? Reply with quote

e-ipi wrote:
I'm somewhat confused as to which architecture/userland is best for my Octane gentoo install. I gather that I need a 64 bit kernel no matter which way I go, and the handbook suggests that I'll need a 64 bit toolchain to compile my kernels anyway. I don't see any 64 bit stage 3 tarballs, and there are postings from about a year ago warning against n32. Do those warnings still apply?

Yeah, for Octane, you'll be using a mixed environment -- 64bit kernel with 32bit userland. As Redhatter mentioned, the sys-devel/kgcc64 package, which replaces sys-devel/gcc-mips64, builds you a simple kernel compiler (that is, it only builds kernels, nothing else). The system compiler continues to generate 32bit binaries.

As for n32, yes, those warnings are technically still in effect. For now, we prefer the only people toying with n32 to be people skilled enough and willing enough to contribute patches back. This means any such people will find themselves attempting to debug the kernel, toolchain, or even the C library (glibc, uclibc). n32 still has known issues, and although one can get a usable userland out of it, it's not considered practical or safe for normal use by anyone and everyone.

--Kumba
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: