Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Azureus speedup: from 99.9% CPU to 3%! (Systray4J)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steven Robertson
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject: Azureus speedup: from 99.9% CPU to 3%! (Systray4J) Reply with quote

Hey, sorry if this has been discovered before, but a quick search didn't show it.

I used Azureus extensively for my bittorrent downloads. Being java, it has always been a little sluggish and bloated, but sometime in the past it became so much so that bittornado was orders of magnitudes faster. I eventually had to stop using it, which was a real disappointment after all the customizations I do. (I use rtorrent now; it's C++, so it's tiny and fast, but it has a couple bugs and lacks features.)

As part of a general "my system should not be this slow!" clean-up campaign, I switched from KDE to XFCE. Logically, I disabled the "kde" use flag. Upon "emerge -Npv world"; I discovered azureus-bin pulled in pulled in the dev-java/systray4j package when the "kde" use flag was enabled. On a whim, I remerged azureus-bin and unmerged systray4j. My plan was to go and remove or play with Az's java deps one by one. I picked a great place to start.

Before I did this, my system would churn constantly at full bore, with Azureus at 99% or more of CPU time. Now, my system's load average is 0.02, with both rtorrent and Azureus running (seven simultaneous torrents!). A bunch of people have been complaining about Azureus speed, so I thought it a good idea to announce.

In summary:

Code:
# mkdir -p /etc/portage/
# echo 'net-p2p/azureus-bin -kde' >> /etc/portage/package.use
# emerge -C dev-java/systray4j
# emerge net-p2p/azureus-bin

I should note also that I changed to the experimental glibc patches for amd64, but I am relatively certain that azureus was still hell of slow after that (but before unmerging systray4j). YMMV.

Hope this helps!
Steven
santorini
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is GREAT
msubzwari
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its an old post but it still holds true. On my x86 system running KDE, Azureus was making CPU utilization hit 100%. Unmerged dev-java/systray4j and it is now down to 3-4%.
FastTurtle
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad I found this thread even though a bit old because if kde flag is set for azureus, you don't need systray4j now.
LSI 9211-8i in HBA mode for all of the SaS drives
Radeon 6800 (Non XT) for GPU
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: