ISDN internet and kernel 2.5?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trapni
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 1:38 pm    Post subject: ISDN internet and kernel 2.5? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am using the linux kernel 2.5 since quite a long time, it seems very stable (mostly); and I don't really feel fine in downgrading since I need it for developing.

however, I had to downgrade my internet connection from static DSL to dialup ISDN.
Unfortunately I do *not* know how to set this up since I never needed it, till now ;)

I have to ISDN cards right here, one HiSax compatible card (that doesn't works anyhow) and a newer old-one that seems to be capi-compatible.
Both are AVM Fritz!PCI cards.

I concluded that I at least need the following packages, fcpci, and capi4k-utils. But is this all? And, what should I do next?

Although, I would be really very very happy if some day Gentoo even has a ISDN Setup Guide (as all the other brilliant guides exist, too)

Unfortunately, the packages mentioned above doesn't compile/emerge well, because they doesn't seem kernel 2.5/2.6 ready. But the kernel already provides ISDN support so (I guess) that there must be some user level drivers out there.... but I didn't find them :(
Has anyone experience in how to set this up or just knows how to do so?

Thanks in advance,
Christian Parpart.
b-llwyd
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having problems with ISDN and 2.5.x too, unfortunately. For a long time now, the HiSax module in the development kernels has been broken. I noticed an old posting from the maintainer of the driver, where he stated that he knew about the problem, but it was a tricky one to fix. I sooo want to use the new dev kernels, but alas...to reboot into a stable kernel everytime i want to connect to internet?

My card is a passive PCI card, which do not work well together with CAPI, so i'll just sit here and hope someone more knowledgable will fix it!
trapni
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nearby, why is there no ISDN support on the gentoo live/boot CD?

cheers,
Christian Parpart.
b-llwyd
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is, at least on 1.4r2. I was surprised at first, because I hadn't seen it mentioned anywhere, but i found the isdnctrl commands when i had booted the LiveCD, so i collected all my configs from the old installation and started a new installation ... this time without having to use a nearby computer as an internet proxy :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: