my list of gentoo questions
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bung-foo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 5:44 am    Post subject: my list of gentoo questions Reply with quote

been using gentoo for a few months now. I've been using FreeBSD for the last few years but I wanted to use a good *nix that I could play games in. Portage rocks. Thats what sold me on gentoo after I tried redhat, slackware and debian.

I have developed a few questions the answers to which I haven't been able to find on these boards or in the gentoo documentation (which is also very very good by the way).

Here they are in no particular order:

1. in bsd customizing my command line stuff is as simple as editing .cshrc I can add aliases, customize the prompt, etc. How do I do this in gentoo? Spoiled by the simplicity of bsd....

2. got gpm working but I'm at a loss as to where I should put commands I want the system to execute at boot time. I'm tired of typing su'ing and typing /etc/init.d/gpm start everytime I fire up my machine ;-)

3. I have an old 16 gig disk that I want to mount in my home directory on ~/files to keep my music and movies on. My user can't mount it even though I've created an entry in fstab (looks like this:

/dev/hdf1 /home/bung-foo/files xfs user 0 0

I created and own the mount point. Why can't I mount the hd? is there a specific group my user should be a member of in addition to wheel?

All in all I'm really happy with gentoo. It is the most bsd like of all the linux distro's. sane, spare, well documented, stable, I might not be able to go back to bsd for my desktop machine ;-) Thanks.

bung-foo
bung-foo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

already answered one of my questions. I was configuring cups using the installation instructions the line

rc-update add cupsd defualt caught my eye so I tried
rc-update add gpm default

woohoo. I'm getting it.

bung-foo
mksoft
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: my list of gentoo questions Reply with quote

bung-foo wrote:
1. in bsd customizing my command line stuff is as simple as editing .cshrc I can add aliases, customize the prompt, etc. How do I do this in gentoo? Spoiled by the simplicity of bsd....

Seems like you were using csh on bsd. On Gentoo you're probably using bash (unless you've changed it), in that case the file you need to customize is .bashrc in your home dir (for personal changes, from system wide changes edit /etc/profile). Quite logical ;)

bung-foo wrote:
2. got gpm working but I'm at a loss as to where I should put commands I want the system to execute at boot time. I'm tired of typing su'ing and typing /etc/init.d/gpm start everytime I fire up my machine ;-)

You've already answered this, good, saved me some typing :)

bung-foo wrote:
3. I have an old 16 gig disk that I want to mount in my home directory on ~/files to keep my music and movies on. My user can't mount it even though I've created an entry in fstab (looks like this:

I created and own the mount point. Why can't I mount the hd? is there a specific group my user should be a member of in addition to wheel?

hdf :? Do you have 6 IDE devices in your machine :?:
If so, what's is the error you're getting :?:

You say it's an old drive with data on it. How old is it :?: maybe, if it was formatted long time ago the file system is not xfs (as it was experimental) :?:
Houdini
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: my list of gentoo questions Reply with quote

bung-foo wrote:

bung-foo

Ok, I think I can help here...

1: play with /etc/profile, ~/.bash_profile, ~/.bashrc
Those are the 3 places bash-related things go. /etc/profile for globals, either ~/. thing for user-specific

3: as another person pointed out, hdf is the 6th drive, is that correct?
Also, the "xfs user" part should be "xfs,user" (all options are 1 word without whitespace)
mksoft
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: my list of gentoo questions Reply with quote

Houdini wrote:
Also, the "xfs user" part should be "xfs,user" (all options are 1 word without whitespace)

Actually he got that one alright. xfs is in the 3rd columns (specifying fs type) user is the fourth coulmn (specifying options).

Do you want the partition mounted at boot ? If you plan to mount/unmount as needed add the option noauto the the 4th col.

e.g.:
Code:
/dev/hdf1 /home/bung-foo/files xfs user,noauto 0 0

bung-foo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok I'm gonna answer everybodies questions all out of order ;-)

first, the hard drive thing:

heres the hard drive topology- on an a7v133
primary ata66:
hda 52x cdrom
hdb dvdrom

secondary ata66:
hdc cdrw

primary ata100 (promise controller):
hde vestigal windows drive
hdf 16 gig freshly partitioned and formatted xfs drive

secondary ata100:
hdg primary gentoo drive

I'd like to have hdf1 be mounted at boot time so I have access to it at all times.

next up, customizing bash-

I'm using bash, I tried adding aliases to .bashrc, I'd log out and log back in bu tthey never worked. I'll try ~/.bash_profile tomorrow and get back to you all.

awesome, I didn't expect replies so quickly. what a pleasant surprise!

bung-foo
bung-foo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got everything working ok now except I still can't customize my command line or set aliases. I tried adding aliases to ~/.bashrc and ~/.bash_profile but neither work. Arg. Any other ideas?

Bung-Foo
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you're using a login shell, then they should work. (So, make sure your terminal is executing bash --login.)
Naan Yaar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: my list of gentoo questions Reply with quote

You can emerge tcsh which is a superset of csh. Then you can continue using your .cshrc file like you did in bsd.
bung-foo wrote:
bung-foo
bung-foo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that tcsh and csh's config files are basically interchangable. I used tcsh for a while in bsd too, but I'm using bash in gentoo and I want to learn how to use it and configure it.

Where do I look for bash --login? which file should it be in?

Its funny, bsd has a reputation for being hard to install/use but many things in it are so well conceived that they approach simplicity. Oh well, I'm the one that wanted to play games on my *nix box ;-)

I'll poke around some more and report back what happens.

Bung-Foo
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Err... what terminal are you using? Konsole, gnometerminal, xterm, or the console?
bung-foo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually spend a lot of time working at the console with no X at all. I'd like to have my prompt, aliases, etc all be the same regardless of whether I'm at a virtual console, xterm, eterm, konsole or what have you.

bung-foo
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: