Breakmygentoo.net - Quick howto
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kRock
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 8:11 pm    Post subject: Breakmygentoo.net - Quick howto Reply with quote

edited a few things - let's call it 1.1

Preface - Installing unstable/untested software can break your system. Should you decide to do this, you may find that your system has - crashed, burned, blown up, or other number of other horrible things. For the most part however, in my experience with using unstable packages the results are great, and you get to have the latest and greatest everything. Your milage may very. Good luck.

1) Go to http://www.breakmygentoo.net

2) Click on "The Ebuilds" at the top

3) Locate the Ebuild you'd like to install

4) Download it.

5) cd /usr/local/portage (check /etc/make.conf for the PORTDIR_OVERLAY variable - /usr/local/portage is default, and highly reccomended that you *DO NOT* change this variable to use /usr/portage)

6) tar -xvjf /path/to/our.ebuild.tar.bz2

7) When you extracted your ebuilds, you'll see that it created directories in /usr/local/portage. These directories may look something like - "gnome-base" or "net-www". What you'll need to do is look for the package that you've selected to install. The easy way to do this is by doing the following -

find . |grep packagename

8) emerge /path/to/package.ebuild

You may at this point find that you have dependencies that are masked - there are two different things that may resolve this.

1-
a) Edit - /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask
b)Look for the packages listed as masked.
c)Add a '#' in front of the line containing the packages you need.

If the package is not listed then go to 2.

2-
a)If your package isn't in package.mask then execute this -

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge /path/to/package

This tells emerge that it's ok to temporarily accept packages that would otherwise be masked.

Last edited by kRock on Mon Jun 02, 2003 5:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
kRock
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted this because I searched all over for some sort of help with doing this last night, and found zarro results ;). Let me know if I missed anything.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Documentation, Tips & Tricks.
frippz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouldn't this be posted on their site as well?

Edit: :mrgreen:

Last edited by frippz on Mon Jun 02, 2003 12:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good guide here would be...

If you don't know how to install 3rd party ebuilds and work with an overlay dir in portage - you shouldn't be messing with it yet, you are probably not ready.
kRock
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovechild wrote:

If you don't know how to install 3rd party ebuilds and work with an overlay dir in portage - you shouldn't be messing with it yet, you are probably not ready.

I didn't know how to do it, but I'm a very experienced linux user, I work for a Linux Software company (http://www.wirex.com), and I've been running linux as my primary desktop for years. With that in mind I'd hardly say that I'm not ready. I had to figure out most of this on my own - I figured it would be a good resource for those who might be having trouble adapting to Gentoo.
Caffeine
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovechild wrote:

Bahh! Download it. Install it. Blow your system up then come here for some help and learn a whole lot about linux in the process. :-D

That's what I love about Gentoo and these forums. The massive learning potential helped along by getting your hands dirty and occasionally falling on your face.
Lin_Matt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great guide kRock! Can we use this on the site?
Vagabond
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to use the PORTDIR_OVERLAY variable and put your experimental ebuilds in /usr/local/portage to protect your ebuilds from getting fried when you emerge sync.

Vag
karl11
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Krock --- We'd love your permission to link to this thread from our site atm, and then later patch it up into a real HOWTO....great job!

Karl
kRock
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vagabond wrote:
You might want to use the PORTDIR_OVERLAY variable and put your experimental ebuilds in /usr/local/portage to protect your ebuilds from getting fried when you emerge sync.

Vag

Yeah! I left the name of the variable out of the instructions. Good eye ;).
kRock
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karl11 wrote:
Yeah Krock --- We'd love your permission to link to this thread from our site atm, and then later patch it up into a real HOWTO....great job!

Karl

Please do ;). Let me know if I can be of any assitance writing up the HOWTO, and what format you'd like it in.
kRock
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Preliminary FAQ can be located at http://k-rock.spack.org/breakfaq.html - Also I believe that karl is sticking it up on the site tonight as well.

Please send all feedback my way! Thanks y'all.
mxc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see this thread is from 2003. I can't find the download ebuild link on the breakmygentoo site. All I can find is info about downloading their entire portage overlay tree which is not what I want. I just want the lateest Evolution build to see if it works with the latest free ximian connector.

I have looked in the subversion directory and it appears that there are no tar- ed ebuild anymore. How will I donwload and install only the ximian-mail component?
spb
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mxc wrote:
I see this thread is from 2003. I can't find the download ebuild link on the breakmygentoo site. All I can find is info about downloading their entire portage overlay tree which is not what I want. I just want the lateest Evolution build to see if it works with the latest free ximian connector.

I have looked in the subversion directory and it appears that there are no tar- ed ebuild anymore. How will I donwload and install only the ximian-mail component?
Emerge gentoolkit-dev. Edit /etc/gensync/bmg-main.syncsource to your liking. Then gensync bmg-main. Then edit /etc/make.conf to add an overlay for whatever directory you specified in the config file. Then emerge away.
joem
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebell wrote:
mxc wrote:

Emerge gentoolkit-dev. Edit /etc/gensync/bmg-main.syncsource to your liking. Then gensync bmg-main. Then edit /etc/make.conf to add an overlay for whatever directory you specified in the config file. Then emerge away.

That doesn't really solve his problem, but infact there is no solution to his problem. Packages aren't available in seperate tarballs, only as overlays. It is much easier for us that way.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: