X on octane VPro?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Galahad
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: X on octane VPro? Reply with quote

I'm interested in the status of this.

I just installed ~mips gentoo on my octane2 V6 and X shows some strange errors with FBDEV and can't mmap something. I had assumed the fbdev driver should work in any case.
Redhatter
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, I could've told you that would happen before you tried. :-)

The issue here, is that fbdev relies on mapping a chunk of the video board's memory (using mmap) into system memory for X to read and write to. This is only possible on the O2's GBE, thanks to UMA -- the video card simply uses the main system memory. As VPro (and Impact, and Newport, and Extreme) don't share their memory with the main system, it's not possible to map this memory into the address space and make it directly accessible to X. So any data for the video card needs to be transferred manually.

This would be fine... but nobody knows (except SGI, who are remaining tight-lipped) how to do DMA with VPro. Thus any data would have to be done using PIO, making things painfully slow, and chewing CPU time to buggery. If someone knows how, and is at liberty to reveal the secret ... an X driver may become possible (and an X driver with OpenGL no less... the geometry engine is already understood, and is used for rendering the console), but until then, it's not technically feasable to do.

Gentoo/MIPS Cobalt developer, Mozilla herd member.
Galahad
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it would be something like that ;) .
ddc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: X on octane VPro? Reply with quote

Galahad wrote:
I'm interested in the status of this.

I just installed ~mips gentoo on my octane2 V6 and X shows some strange errors with FBDEV and can't mmap something. I had assumed the fbdev driver should work in any case.

sgi octane2 R12K ?
if so, how did you install gentoo on it ? every time i try to netboot the right kernel suggest in the handbook i'm stopped by this error: prom write error on cacheline 0x1fcc0f00 at PC=8000000202729e0

about X, i think we'd better buy a PCI-cage and to plug in a matrox-PCI or a voodoo2-PCI: as framebuffer they are well supported in nonPC architecture.
Galahad
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the livecd from dev.gentoo.org/~kumba
Kumba
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything found in my dev directory these days is to be considered highly experimental. I've got an X cd in the works for several of the systems, but that's been held up by my main desktop deciding to become a major PITA (stupid +12v rails in my PSU).

I'm hoping to get them all out as RC6 soon.

--Kumba
Galahad
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no problems with highly experimental. The whole linux-mips thing is highly experimental.

It worked fine :) .
Pliablemammal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two extra impact frame buffers, one is MXI with texture and one is just the normal impact card but the MXI is full height so it's kinda a weird. It would work for your system since the impact driver is supported, but it doesn't seem like the Xorg stuff is DRI yet.

I'm in Northern California if you want to try it let me know.

I have like 3 extra Octanes all with at least a gig of ram in them.
iluxa
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: X on octane VPro? Reply with quote

ddc wrote:

sgi octane2 R12K ?
if so, how did you install gentoo on it ? every time i try to netboot the right kernel suggest in the handbook i'm stopped by this error: prom write error on cacheline 0x1fcc0f00 at PC=8000000202729e0

This probably means your CPU is hosed.

CPPSERV: C++ Servlet Container and CSP (C++ Server Pages) parser: Application server for Real Programmers(TM)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: