Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dieter@be
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

truc wrote:
I'd like to store the script somewhere, so you can easily download it, but I don't know where/how :/,

Don't you have any webspace from your isp or something? if not , i can host it for you if you want.
stahlsau
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
i could host it too, but maybe it would be more ...linux-style... if you'd started a project at freshmeat or sourceforge. This is a very simple process and includes free hosting.
truc
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SiTH- wrote:
Btw: lines you mentioned are in script

Yes they are, but they should be on three lines, I just wanted to check if every comment begins with a #

:)

Dieter@be wrote:
truc wrote:
I'd like to store the script somewhere, so you can easily download it, but I don't know where/how :/,

Don't you have any webspace from your isp or something? if not , i can host it for you if you want.

stahlsau wrote:
hi,
i could host it too, but maybe it would be more ...linux-style... if you'd started a project at freshmeat or sourceforge. This is a very simple process and includes free hosting.

Thanks, I appreciate your help, didn't even think to my ISP :) .
truc
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

version=20060730

* Added a link to download xlaunch in the first post:)
* Some cleaning in the script
* variable that goes to your env are now unset correctly :
    if you're not using the link trick to use xlaunch, you may have one of FULL_PROG_NAME or PROG_NAME variable in your environnement. (if you're using the form xlaunch program then your environnement (on the DISPLAY where the program is launched) contains PROG_NAME, while if you're using the form xlaunch --path path/to/program, it will contains the FULL_PROG_NAME variable).
    You usually don't mind, but now, suppose you're using xlaunch to launch a WM on a new DISPLAY (with e.g. xlaunch fvwm ) then you will have PROG_NAME=fvwm in your environnement. Suppose now, that you're on this display, and want to use again xlaunch to launch something else on an other DISPLAY, or even you just want to check the help xlaunch -h, what happen? Before this version, since xlaunch didn't unset those two variables, xlaunch didn't launch anything but the program which is in PROG_NAME or FULL_PROG_NAME. In our example, this means it opened an new DISPLAY with fvwm, which is not what you want.
    This unwanted behaviour is now corrected:)
BlackTiger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

thanks for the script it works fine :wink:

The only thing I noticed it that when I close f.e a game using your script the new x server isn't closed - still running.

Could u change the script so that when the application is terminated also the new started xserver exits? After game and new xserver is closed then the script should also get me back to my xgl server - this would be great :)

Regards
BlackTiger
truc
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackTiger wrote:
The only thing I noticed it that when I close f.e a game using your script the new x server isn't closed - still running.

Could u change the script so that when the application is terminated also the new started xserver exits? After game and new xserver is closed then the script should also get me back to my xgl server - this would be great :)

I'm somewhat surprised, because, the game is launch with something like xinit /usr/game/bin/your_game -- xserver_options which means, if you quit the game, the xserver should also exit. I've tested it with 'normal' xorg, and Xgl, and it works as expected. (once the game is closed, the xserver also exits, which brings me back to my desktop)

You normaly don't have to do that, but did you modified the scripts, as suggested in III --> b) HowTo use it -The new way - The link trick --> * Windowed application: if you did, what did you add? always remember that the application you launch with xinit, will be the application that will close the xserver.

and, last questions, did you try with something else than your game? (eg: xlaunch xterm, then exit and see what happen), which game is it?
BlackTiger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhh this is weird!

I used xlaunch with the -p prefix and startet ut2004 then i exited the game - it popped me back to the new X Server just showing me black screen with an X as mouse pointer (which is normal xserver i guess).

But now when i cheked ps -aux i noticed the following!
Code:

1000     29787  0.0  0.0   6768   812 pts/2    S    15:11   0:00 xinit /home/blacktiger/games/ut2004/System/ut2004-bin-linux-amd64 -- :1 -nolisten tcp -
root     29789  1.4  0.5  44956 10988 tty8     SLs+ 15:11   0:00 X :1 -nolisten tcp -br -deferglyphs 16
1000     29794 46.7  3.5 121192 74064 pts/2    Sl   15:11   0:11 /home/blacktiger/games/ut2004/System/ut2004-bin-linux-amd64

The game and server still runs but I can't see the game just showes me black xorg server ... weird I gues ^^"

Then I tried what u said and did an xlaunch xterm and everything worked fine - I exited the xterm and the new server was closed and also popped me back to my xgl server.

So might be a problem with ut2004 cause I tested Warsow and also worked fine .... so thanks for your great script! Keeps me staying to xgl ;)

Regards
BlackTiger
truc
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to be sure, here is what I understand:

you do:
xlaunch -p /home/blacktiger/games/ut2004/System/ut2004-bin-linux-amd64

then, the game seems working, but all you see is a black screen with the X pointer

Can you try to run this in a terminal:
Code:
xinit /home/blacktiger/games/ut2004/System/ut2004-bin-linux-amd64 -- :1

and post back, especially if you have something interesting in the terminal:)

BlackTiger wrote:
So might be a problem with ut2004 or a problem with the new -p function that don't need PATH?

I don't think it's a problem with the new -p option, but may be more a problem with the script itself or even a problem with your game, I really like to know what's happening, post back! :)

EDIT: I've also tested with warsow (installed in my home) for the --path ;)
EDIT2: if you issue xlaunch xterm, and from there, you try to run your game, does it work?
BlackTiger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well u misunderstood me a bit but I think i found out what's wrong - It's a problem of UT2004 :wink:

When I start the game with xlaunch -p ut2004-bin-linux-amd64 the game starts and works fine! When I close the game THEN the screen went black showing the normal X pointer!

But I guess that's a problem of ut itself - because when I launch UT in a normal terminal and close the game (via ut menu) it's still running in terminal - I have to do a Strg+C in Terminal to finally close the game! And that's whats keeping ut and the xserver alive I guess. I close the game but can't hit Strg+C after I am back to X to finally terminate the game - so X keeps alive!

Every other thing I tested f.e Warsow,Terminals .etc are working and closing fine

So your script works as it should and it's really great! Just UT isn't :roll:

Regards
BlackTiger

Last edited by BlackTiger on Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dieter@be
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackTiger wrote:
Just UT isn't :roll:
what about ctrl+alt+backspace? (or similar command?) it's a good way to get rid of the xserver instantly, i think (you could probably do this even while ut is still running :p)
BlackTiger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dieter@be wrote:
BlackTiger wrote:
Just UT isn't :roll:
what about ctrl+alt+backspace? (or similar command?) it's a good way to get rid of the xserver instantly, i think (you could probably do this even while ut is still running :p)

Great this solution works and is really helpful especially for ut :roll:

Thanks to everyone!
truc
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To BlackTiger I'm glad to see you finaly found what was going on, and found a 'good ' workaround. Is this a know issue with UT? may be you should report it? Anyway, you should be interested in the new version of the script, keep on reading:)

To stahlsau Did you read my comment on bugzilla.icculus, that's a litlle workaround for now, if you want to use multimedia keys (if you do have some)

To everybody, I didn't get as much feedback as I expected.. Should I suppose, it's just 'working' (it does what we want it to, and that's all) ? :)

Anyway, I've improved again the scripts so that we are now to version=20060801 (you can get it there ), here are the good news:
    * It was already possible to use xlaunch to create 'magic link' (xprogram ) if program appear in your PATH, so far so good, it's now also possible to create a link for a program which does *not* appear in it :):
      I'll take the example of BlackTiger(hope you don't mind :oops: ) :

He's probably fed up to write xlaunch -p /home/blacktiger/games/ut2004/System/ut2004-bin-linux-amd64 just to play.
      He would certainly like a cool link, so that he just need to type xut2004-bin-linux-amd64 (fortunately it will be IN his path, and he will be able to use completion to type this awfull name! :lol: ).
      Here is what he needs to do::
      xlaunch --addlink /home/blacktiger/games/ut2004/System/ut2004-bin-linux-amd64
      Created link /home/scripts/ut2004-bin-linux-amd64 --> /home/blacktiger/games/ut2004/System/ut2004-bin-linux-amd64
      Created link /home/scripts/xut2004-bin-linux-amd64 --> /home/scripts/xlaunch

or simply xlaunch --addlink games/ut2004/System/ut2004-bin-linux-amd64 if he is in his $HOME ,

As you can see, this will create two links, and since /home/scripts is in his PATH this will work, imagine now, he doesn't have write access on /home/scripts, then he can add the link that way:
      without write access to /home/scripts:
      xlaunch --addlink ~blacktiger/scripts /home/blacktiger/games/ut2004/System/ut2004-bin-linux-amd64

This will create those two links in /home/blacktiger/scripts. But in order to have the link xut2004-bin-linux-amd64 working, we need the link ut2004-bin-linux-amd64 to appear somewhere in the PATH, if it doesn't xlaunch will create the links, but will also warn that /home/blacktiger/scripts is not in the PATH, and that xut2004-bin-linux-amd64 won't work (ut2004-bin-linux-amd64 will but it won't use xlaunch, so what's the point? :) )

* Modified the help message to reflect these changes

* Added a function create_link to clarify the script :)

Hope you (will) like it. I'll be on holiday for now, but i will keep on eye on this thread to see if there's any problem/comment .
stahlsau
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
To stahlsau Did you read my comment on bugzilla.icculus, that's a litlle workaround for now, if you want to use multimedia keys (if you do have some)

I'll check this.

Quote:
To everybody, I didn't get as much feedback as I expected.. Should I suppose, it's just 'working' (it does what we want it to, and that's all) ? :)

Yep, that's how it is.

Quote:
Hope you (will) like it. I'll be on holiday for now, but i will keep on eye on this thread to see if there's any problem/comment .

Happy vacation than ;)
Dieter@be
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just an idea: let the user choose his own name for the link? so that you can xlaunch ut, if "ut" is the name that the user chooses for the link to /home/blacktiger/games/ut2004/System/ut2004-bin-linux-amd64

and happy holidays offcourse 8)
BlackTiger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dieter@be wrote:
just an idea: let the user choose his own name for the link? so that you can xlaunch ut, if "ut" is the name that the user chooses for the link to /home/blacktiger/games/ut2004/System/ut2004-bin-linux-amd64

Also like this idea because xut2004-bin-linux-amd64 is still much text to write :D To choose an own command would be great so f.e just xut and game starts *yipie* :wink:

I think many people are using your script and it just works as expected so no posts here :wink:

I also look forward to see more improvments to this script! Keep up your great work and - Enjoy your holidays :P

( And nah I don't mind if you use my example :mrgreen: )

Regards
BlackTiger
Dieter@be
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackTiger wrote:
Also like this idea because xut2004-bin-linux-amd64 is still much text to write :D To choose an own command would be great so f.e just xut and game starts *yipie* :wink:

You don't have to type the whole thing, if i understand what truc said, you have auto-completion. but even then, "custom" names are cooler :p
truc
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think, I can easily add, these feature, but, it will be only for games that don't appear in your path.

Dieter@be wrote:
BlackTiger wrote:
Also like this idea because xut2004-bin-linux-amd64 is still much text to write To choose an own command would be great so f.e just xut and game starts *yipie*

You don't have to type the whole thing, if i understand what truc said, you have auto-completion. but even then, "custom" names are cooler :p

Actually you would have auto-completion, if it is enable in your shell (sure it is :) ) and, since the link xut2004-bin-linux-amd64 should be created in a directory, which is in your PATH, then auto-completion will work. that's all.

Now, before I implement this, here is what you can do: (I still take you, BlackTiger, as an example :) )
Quote:
# first, I suggest you remove the two links previously created, assuming they are in /home/scripts:
rm /home/scripts/{,x}xut2004-bin-linux-amd64
# then, create, the link, with the name you want, I'll take ut
ln -s /home/blacktiger/games/ut2004/System/ut2004-bin-linux-amd64 /home/scripts/ut
# /home/scripts *should* be in your path,
# From now, you can already play this game by running ut, but that's not on a other display, blahblahblah..
# But, ut is now in your path, so you can add a link for this game, as you would do for a normal program!
xlaunch --addlink ut
# it should have created this link : /home/scripts/xut --> /home/scripts/xlaunch
# You can now test it now:
xut

yeah:)
I like it too, (erm, I'm on windows right now, so can't test anything... )
BlackTiger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this is a way but it's not that good I think - It's nearly the same as if I create a link the normal way (with xlaunch) and then just rename the link created in my scripts folder ...

I prefer an other way which is used just when creating the link - like this ( taking my example :wink: )

xlaunch -a ut /home/blacktiger/games/ut2004/System/ut2004-bin-linux-amd64

Where ut is the name of the link I want and after that the path where the executable is ( can also be other way round :P )

This is bether than moving files or making links by hand 8O - Just more work for you to change the script I guess ... What do you think?

( And yeah the tab way to complete the name .. totally forgot that :roll: )

Regards
BlackTiger
Dieter@be
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackTiger wrote:

This is bether than moving files or making links by hand 8O - Just more work for you to change the script I guess ... What do you think?

that's like the whole point of scripts, programs and other binaries. we put effort in creating them so that later on they do efforts for us :)
truc
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

truc wrote:

Now, before I implement this, here is what you can do:
blahblahblah...

;) (this means this was just a temporary workaround )

I almost already know how to achieve the wanted behaviour, but, I don't think it will be exactly as you said, because, when creating the link with xlaunch, you can create several link in the same time, with:
Code:
xlaunch --addlink program1 progrma2 path/to/program3 program4 ...

So, how can I know if progrma2 is an application, the name of the link you wana create for path/to/program3, or even an program name with a typo inside? :?

here is how it should work, once implemented:
Code:
xlaunch --addlink program1 progrma2 path/to/program3 program4 ...

1) it will first search for program1 in your PATH, if it exits, it will create a link xprogram1 in the directory where xlaunch is. (or you'll have to specify the directory, as I explained a few posts before)

2) it will then search for progrma2 in your PATH, and, assuming there's a typo, it won't find it, wil warn you of this error, and continue with the next arguments:

3) since, there is at least one '/' in path/to/program3 , it will first test if you can execute it:
    * if you don't have the right to execute it, it will inform you, then continuen with the next argument
    * if yes -->
      if it's not already a full path (string beginning with '/' ), it will find the full path, then
      it will ask you the name you would like to have for this argument. if an empty string is enter, then the default name (which is 'program3' for path/to/program3 will be used to create the links, otherwise it will use the string as the name of the link

If you choose a name which is already in use in this directory, ln will warn you, and won't create the new link, then, we have two possibilities, either the user is asked again for a new name, or, xlaunch can just skip this argument and go on to the next one, which one is to best? (I'm sure, you'll choose first one..)
      Also, keep in mind, that if the user enter the name of an already existing program, which should also appear in the PATH, for example xterm argument. Then running xxterm (link created with xlaunch) will launch either xterm on an other display, or /full/path/to/program3, depending wether /usr/bin appears before, or after /home/scripts in the PATH variable

4) it will do the same than in 1) but for program4

5)...and so forth and so on if there are more arguments.

(when chosing the game name, you would have to chose the ut for your game, and then xut will be created automaticly)

Does it suit you? Any comments?
ok, now I'm going, see ya, may be tomorow :)
arabis
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using XGL and this is the script I needed to run GoogleEarth, Blender and Doom3.
I tried:
Code:
$ xlaunch -p /opt/googleearth/googleearth

or
Code:
$ xlaunch gimp

But always I get a black screen and my system is hard locked
Ctrl-Alt-Suppr or Ctrl-Alt-F7 or Ctrl-Alt-backspace doesn't respond. I have to do a hard-shutdown.
DVDR double couche
truc
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arabis, so, it doesn't work with neither GoogleEarth, Blender nor Doom3 :?:

_ Does the program start normally, but it's only when you try to exit it, or to go back to your desktop that you have these hard locks? Or, is it as soon as you launch f.e. xlaunch -p /opt/googleearth/googleearth that you have these hard locks?

_ Do you have an nvidia video card or an ATI one? I think I've heard ATI users can't launch another Xserver :?: but can't say for sure.

_ Can you try to run only xinit /opt/googleearth/googleearth -- :1 (or with any of your other program, or even a basic xinit /usr/bin/xterm -- :1 ) and tell me if it works? If it doesn't, then it has probably nothing to do with my script.

_ Looks like the same problem as here: X hardlocks when I switch x servers Could you try the work around I proposed ? Does it work (around..) ?
arabis
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried xlaunch with googleearth and gimp.
-These hard locks happen as soon as I launch (but just before I can see in Konsole that it uses the display 0):
Code:
$ xlaunch -p /opt/googleearth/googleearth

-I have an ATI mobility X700
I tried
Code:
$ xinit /opt/googleearth/googleearth -- :1

and I get:
Code:
Fatal server error:
Server is already active for display 1
        If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X1-lock
        and start again.

I tried also
Code:
$ xinit /usr/bin/gimp -- :93

and I get the hard lock again. So I guess your script is not the culprit.
-I tried your workaround to exit my hardlock but it doesn't work.
DVDR double couche
truc
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid it's your ATI card's fault..

I suppose
Code:
 xinit /usr/bin/xterm -- :2
also locks down your computer :(

I'd like to help, but I can't do anything :/
EDIT: I found this and this, may be it can help :roll:

Last edited by truc on Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
arabis
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:) Thanks truc for your answer.
I found this:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=1083678&postcount=25
I think it will do the job for an ATI card, but right now I am not on my Gentoo box.
I'll try this when I'll return home.
DVDR double couche
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: