New 875 Intel board
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greg32
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 12:07 am    Post subject: New 875 Intel board Reply with quote

Hi,
I have a ASUS P4C800 board with a 2.6 c proc. After a hell of a time trying to get the ck sources to run on my machine, I managed to compile the xfs sources and get the system to boot. But it is running soooooo slow it is not funny. I mean near on 10 minutes to load into KDE. It was also having problems initiating the hdparm paramaters I had used previously on the same hdd with no probs but with the earlier 845pe chipset (now using the 875 chipset). Also, the system will randomly lock up at all different points in the system, and twice it has kernel panicked, but then booted no probs the next time I try.
Does anyone know of problems with the new chipset and the current 2.4 kernels, and should I try a development kernel possibly. Also, how do I know if it is running hyperthreading or not, and do the 2.4/2.5 sources support h/t directly, or is there something I have to set in the config stages.
Also, when booting the kernel, it gives me a message that agpgart does not support this chipset, so I have dissabled it, and am using the "Option "AGP" "1"" in the xf86config to enable the use of the nvidia drivers with my card.
Would love to hear from somebody who has got their system working well with the new boards. I miss my gentoo system badly, and am using win xp at the moment (HEEEEELP).
regards Greg
mrik
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I've got the same problem as you !! You should use the laste 2.4.20 patch to fix that ! (patch-2.4.21-rc4) Support for the ICH5 (Your soth bridge) have ben added bye Allan Cox since patch-2.4.21-rc3 ...
mrik
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ho somthing more ... I haven't had a so good install that the one I have now whith my P4C800 and my 3.0 GHZ ! Enjoy ! :D
vt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe asus boards are not very good.

i have D875PBZLK/478 i875P ATX 4GB AGP8x FSB800 and see no problems. i use 2.5.70 mm series kernels, though.
greg32
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mrik, I will give it a try. Sorry for not replying sooner, just the list seemed to be down every time I tried to access it over the weekend, and also bee busy. Will give it a try tonight I hope.

regards Greg
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: